“Comfortable!”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #19 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Great little hotel, I arrived to find I had a free room upgrade (this suited me fine). The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable and at a fantastic price.
The staff were helpful and gave me great advise of local attractions and good coffee stops.
Close to a hop on hop off bus tour stop, public transport, neat shops, and plenty of vegetarian eateries nearby. It is in a flat area of the street, so no giant uphill hikes after a long day of sightseeing.
Quiet and peaceful courtyard out the back, and the restaurant below served me good food and beer!
I loved staying here and happily come back next time I'm in San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kiwichick13

Reviewed 8 May 2012

When I come to SF, i don't like to stay in the Union Square/Downtown area, I just don't like the area and it's way to close to the dumpy Tenderloin. So i decided to search a place that is off the beaten path and found Hotel Metro.
I loved this hotel. We got the largest room which was around the corner from the actual hotel and it felt like we had our own apartment in a great neighborhood of San Francisco. The room was really clean and very spacious. This hotel is in great walking distance to a lot of great bars and the N Line is a few blocks away so getting anywhere around the city is pretty easy. I am going to definitely consider the place again in my next visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We just spend one night at the Metro Hotel but we really enjoyed the location and: what a reasonable price!! We also found a free parkinglot just round the corner, awesome.
Ther room was so bright and very comfortable, I liked the fact that the bathroom was splitted, so we had the basin in the bedroom. I would immediatly come back to this place!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leila L
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Love this hotel and it will definitely be my go-to in San Francisco. One because the staff was awesome, but also because it was clean and is a fantastic location. Can you say Toronado 3 blocks away? The location is great with lots of restaurants and shopping at your doorstep, what more could you want? The price is also very affordable, okay, so there's that! The room was a very odd shape, but it had two beds and they gave me a air bed for our third. The bathroom was huge as well. As people have noted, this definitely isn't a cookie-cutter hotel; I'm sure every room is unique.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Kreskin2207
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The good news: great neighborhood, easy transit access to all of SFO, front desk folks super helpful and cheery. Not so great news: no bathtubs, little to no heat, no closets, tiny rooms. After 3 nights in street-front room, they moved me to the studio apartment and it was too musty, dusty, smelly, with no screens on windows. So I moved to a downtown hotel for my last 2 nights for allergy relief. Would stay here again in one of the street-front rooms. The hotel and the area ROCK.

Room Tip: Rooms facing street are noisy, but larger and the windows open. Take earplugs and a sleep mask to bl...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Lucy Beale P
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I scheduled my stay at the Metro for the birth of my first grandchild and they totally worked with me on the dates since we didn’t know exactly when I would arrive or leave. That was just a foretaste of how nice Shana, Ellen and Monte would be as my hosts. (Thank you Shana for the gluten-free treats!) As a woman traveling alone, I felt totally comfortable and at home during my nine-day stay. I also found it easy to take the bus (Divisidero St. is a main bus line) to and from California Pacific Medical Center, and felt perfectly safe walking back and forth to my son’s apartment eight blocks away, even in the evening. I was also able to find anything I needed in nearby shops and restaurants. The room and bathroom were very clean; shower water plentiful and hot.

A pleasant bonus was the hotel courtyard in back with cedar chairs, tables, and benches – great place to eat a take-out meal – and lovely plantings and flowers. I was able to do my Tai Chi out there in the mornings.

My inside room was quiet except for some noise from the restaurant next door until maybe 10 or 11 pm. I used a “White Noise” app on my phone which took care of that. Because the rates are so reasonable, I had no problem with the small room size and lack of extras. When I just called them to book my next visit, I was told that since my Dec. 2011 visit the hotel has all new paint, carpet and furniture!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I came into the hotel with the understanding that is a no frills hotel, and I got what I paid for - to be in a great neighborhood out of downtown. The receptionist was nice and recommended spots to park my car. It's within close distance to some great restaurants, and a quick walk to the lower Haight, Castro and Hayes Valley where there's plenty more great bars and restaurants. Pay close attention to street signs because I ended up getting a $55 street sweeping ticket. After a certain hour, 5pm, parking overnight is a pain to find but that's to be expected in that neighborhood. They have a loading zone right in front of the hotel, so take full advantage of it before you look for parking. The walls are very thin so I heard some guy talking I think in the next room, and people stumbling in at 4am on the 1st floor. There were some dirt marks on the carpet, and the heat wasn't very controlled when I first got there so I had to use the ceiling fan. The decor of the room is very outdated 80's motel like with a tube tv. The pillows were thin, and the blankets even thinner but there are spare blankets in the closet.

It's a great place to go if you just need somewhere to crash. But I can't say I got a good night's sleep. I didn't really relax there, because I was out most of the day. I'm not sure if I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryer, iron and shampoo.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo