“The Metro Hotel was amazing”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #30 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just a short walk from Haight Ashbury. The hotel is clean, and in a great location (with private bathrooms..) It is a small, boutique hotel, so go in with open eyes, as we did. (bring shampoo and conditioner etc. If you want the Hyatt, stay there instead.) Shana, and Monty, our desk concierges were especially helpful. They gave us great tips on where to go, and what to do. I agree with the former post to check parking requirements beforehand. The staff told us to check the signs, but we parked on a street where the sign had been run over. Not the hotels fault, but the citys. Shana and Monty were so helpful, as we realized that our rental car was towed, as we were leaving for the airport. If it were not for them, we would have missed a flight back to the East Coast. Monty even ran up a hill to take a pic of the broken sign so we would fight city hall. I would totally recommend this place.

Room Tip: This hotel is on a busy city street. If you are a light sleeper, prob not for you. They have a lar...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Metro Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Visiting a relative in San Francisco was greatly enhanced by staying at the Metro Hotel in the Lower Haight neighborhood where he lives. The staff are enthusiastically friendly, knowledgeable locals. The hotel itself has been recently renovated, and it somewhat reminded me of both the Ace Hotel in Belltown area of Seattle, and the Dolly Varden in Long Beach (which I have also reviewed on TA). The rooms are smartly decorated, and my favorite thing about them was the thoughtful lighting over the sinks and over the beds, eliminating the need for lamps. I stayed in Room 205 for 3 of my 4 days, and found it perfectly sized for one, quiet, and beautifully outfitted. A wedding party required me to move to a first floor room in the back, smaller and even quieter, but fine just the same. The price cannot be beaten. The backyard garden and patio is exquisite and a wonderful place to read, share a bottle of wine, picnic, etc.
Fantastic restaurant next door, Ragazza. Also, just a block away is a great deli/grocery. Golden Gate Park is less than a mile's walk, and Buena Vista park just blocks away. We had a red-tailed hawk swoop right in front of us on one of our walks there. The famous Painted Ladies view is likewise blocks away, as are the shops of the infamous Haight Ashbury. The Castro is easily accessible as well. This is my kind of San Francisco! Good job at the Metro!

Room Tip: If you desire a quiet night's sleep, rooms at the back are best. The hotel's website is qui...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We wanted to walk everywhere and the Metro was right in the centre of the City. We would highly recommend this place albeit our room was a little small. Our top recommendation would be for those parking on the street. Check with the friendly staff about the weird parking requirements or you will end up with a parking ticket like we did!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank The_Peppin-Hugheses
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The Metro has a great staff -- friendly, accommodating, more like concierges than receptionists. It is no-frills, without a restaurant, but in a swell walking neighborhood with many choices. Nice cafe on the corner.

The price for SF is *unbelievably* low. The shady backyard with patio tables is a lovely amenity.

Note that all of the rooms are upstairs, and there is no elevator so it isn't really handicap accessible. Now that my elderly mom has trouble climbing so many stairs, we can't stay any more -- but otherwise we'd be there in a heartbeat.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank herone
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Nice hotel with a spacious room at an affordable price. Location in a quiet area with free parking along the streets some blocks around. Thought not in the center of the center of SF, it is easily accessible with the bus. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Great little hotel, I arrived to find I had a free room upgrade (this suited me fine). The room and bathroom were clean and comfortable and at a fantastic price.
The staff were helpful and gave me great advise of local attractions and good coffee stops.
Close to a hop on hop off bus tour stop, public transport, neat shops, and plenty of vegetarian eateries nearby. It is in a flat area of the street, so no giant uphill hikes after a long day of sightseeing.
Quiet and peaceful courtyard out the back, and the restaurant below served me good food and beer!
I loved staying here and happily come back next time I'm in San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank kiwichick13
Reviewed 8 May 2012

When I come to SF, i don't like to stay in the Union Square/Downtown area, I just don't like the area and it's way to close to the dumpy Tenderloin. So i decided to search a place that is off the beaten path and found Hotel Metro.
I loved this hotel. We got the largest room which was around the corner from the actual hotel and it felt like we had our own apartment in a great neighborhood of San Francisco. The room was really clean and very spacious. This hotel is in great walking distance to a lot of great bars and the N Line is a few blocks away so getting anywhere around the city is pretty easy. I am going to definitely consider the place again in my next visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends