“Great find”

Ranked #39 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Atlanta, GA
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed in here for one night. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was clean and recently remodeled. We did not notice a problem with the temperature control,as mentioned in other posts. There is a nice restaurant next door with delicious food and a good wine list. I would highly recommend this hotel, especially if you are looking for a place near Haight Ashbury.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ameliaandtoscana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I can't recommend Metro highly enough. I needed a room for one night and the end of my week long trip, and I was so pleased I picked Metro. The price is brilliant, I got the cheapest room and it was small facing a lightwell (but still had nice daylight) as advised but didn't matter as your only there to sleep and store your stuff. The room was very clean with a comfy bed, nice sheets and TV. A ceiling fan provides ventilation if needed. You get your own shower and toilet which for the price is amazing. The staff I spoke to (Shana & Gigi) were warm, very friendly and helpful. Shana booked me a shuttle bus to the airport for $10 which made it stress free. Don't let the fact that its not downtown put you off either. I found the Muni buses regular and cheap ($2 flat rate) and the 21 bus stop which goes downtown in 15 mins is a 2 min walk north on the junction with Hayes. The area is nice, just above Castro and below Haight and I also walked downtown in about 30 mins. SF is a great city to walk around, always walk if you have time! The outside of Metro looks cool and there are nice touches in the foyer like bookshelves filled with books and guidebooks to read about SF and a chalk board with local things to do. If you need somewhere to stay in San Fransisco and want to spend your money on sightseeing instead of hotel accomodation - book Metro!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Wilko_2412
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I booked here based solely on the positive tripadvisor reviews and even then I was prepared for anything. The location is central and in easy walking distance to some great restaurants and public transport. This is not the Hyatt but the bed was just as good for a much better price. My room had a TV, and basic ensuite, air con, hair dryer and a place to hang my clothes. It's a very simple setup but completely clean and fine. As other reviews have said, the reception staff, are just lovely and their helpfulness and personal interest in their customers well being is the added value here. I would not hesitate to stay here again and most definitely will as it is just a short walk to Nopa, Nopalito, The Pork Store and the restaurant next door, which I left till the last day to visit, is fantastic. There is a bustop a block away which is a direct link to downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank AUStoWORLD
New Paltz, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

The newly renovated Metro Hotel on the corner of Oak and Divisadero Street is one of our favorite places to stay when we are in San Francisco. We stay at The Metro two or three times a year, and we have never been disappointed with the friendly staff and the cleanliness of our room. The rooms are small and other than a flat screen tv, and free Internet, there are no other amenities. However, the staff will be happy to refrigerate something for you in their office.
The price is right if you are looking for an inexpensive way to see San Francisco, and public transportation is just outside the door to Haight Street and beyond, and across the street to go downtown. The hotel does not have an elevator which could be a reason for some people not to stay here.
Oh, and try the Italian restaurant next door... Incredibly good (and hard to get a table later in the evening). And the new coffee shop right on the corner is a convenient, tasty place to stop for breakfast!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter. Make your reservations early because they fill up very quick...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed at the Metro and talked with them before booking the trip. They suggested not renting a car due to limited parking and their easy access to public transportation as well as restuarants and shopping - this saved us alot of money. We walked a good deal and took an easy ride down to Pier 39 and all of the tourist attractions. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and didn't steer us wrong on places to dine. We spent very little time in our room so it didn't matter that it didn't have all of the amenities you might find at a larger chain. It was clean, in good repair and you can't beat the price when you have access to just about everything you need. I'd highly recommend this and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Suite 115 has windows facing the garden which is used by the restaurant at night. If you go to slee...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vickie8689
Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

This hotel was a little further away from the sightseeing I was doing then I would have liked to be but the room was clean and update and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Do be aware that you must use stairs to get to your room. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: I booked a room at the back of the builing facing the garden. I believe it was room 209. It was quie...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DawnMarieB2320
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed at the Metro Hotel as part of a walking vacation of the San Francisco area. The location is outstanding, the staff was very helpful, and the room was clean and up to date. Our complaints would be no temperture control, the pull out bed had a hard wire running down the middle of it, and the only channel our tv received was Fox News. Which we all found a ironic.

The helpful staff and the central location outweighed these minor issues and we would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family