“Best kept secret little hotel in a cool part of SF”
Review of The Metro Hotel

The Metro Hotel
Ranked #30 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I just came back from my second stay at the Metro Hotel and I can't gush enough about how much I love this place. It's in a perfect location and far from the downtown scuzzyness so I feel relatively safe when I'm walking around here. My friend and I arrived into SF really early but were able to store our luggage there and explore the city before checking in. The staff suggested we go to the Grind Cafe nearby for breakfast and it was a great recommendation because our breakfast was excellent. By the time we were done shopping in the afternoon, I decided to give the hotel a call to see if we might be able to check in a little bit early than the 3:00 check-in time and we were so that was awesome. The room we got was 202, the room with two twin beds- kind of small but cozy and there's a good storage area with shelves to put away clothes and etc. We had a nice view of the street from there and I didn't think it was loud but I'm a heavy sleeper so that helps.

I would say the only downside of this room is for people like me who aren't so fond of going up & down stairs with heavy luggage. It's my own fault for having overstuffed luggage. But I have to say that as a safety concern, the hotel needs to put some kind of marker on the stairs to show where the stairs curve inward and the steps get narrowed because the dark carpeting doesn't help and someone can easily trip or fall there. I didn't fall, thank goodness, but I'm sure I could've, especially as there's not much lighting in the staircase too.

Other than that, you really can't beat the price and the location of this hotel. I hope I can still keep staying here for future visits to San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank starbright31
There are newer reviews for The Metro Hotel

Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed here for 5 days during New Year holidays. Good price and good location, there are choices of public transportation to the center and to the ocean and parks. No breakfast but there are several places to eat just nearby. The staff was very helpful. The room is very small and the queen size bed is mainly only one thing in the room. The sink is located by the bed as it is not enough space in a closet. You have to ask for such things like bottles opener or hair dryer, but the staff was always nice and provided these things on request. There is no fridge in the room, but you can ask to put your things in the fridge, which is in the staff room. So, don't hesitate to ask :) Taken together, good value for money and quite safe and convenient neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed in room 209 which is on the third floor with a window facing the backyard. The room was spotlessly clean. The hotel is a nice neighborhood with lots of local restaurants and shops, close to the bus line (about 15 min bus ride to UCSF hospital). Please note that this is a minimalist hotel, the room is barely big enough for the queen size bed, toilet and shower are in a closet with a sink by the bed. But the room was very clean and in good location close to transit and perfect for what I was looking for (ie cheap and close to UCSF). Front desk has someone 24/7, staff was very helpful in navigating public transit and giving suggestions on things to do close to the hotel. Super shuttle was $17 one way from SFO.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Fran S
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 5 days during Xmas holidays. First things first, 87 dollars for a room in SF! Excellent! And not just any room, very clean rooms! Not huge rooms but you wont spend much time in the rooms in SF anyway. We had one room in the 1st floor and then another in the second floor. Second floor rooms are more quiet. Walls are thin - but no noise during sleep time. There was a distant engine sound in the downstairs room facing the garden ( lovely garden that you can relax in), not that much disturbing though.
Neighbourhood is safe. Walk right after exiting the hotel and catch either bus 71 or 6 for union square and then F street car for Fishermens wharf. Bus stop is very close- 5 min walk. Turn left after exit and there is acafe for breakfast ( Vinyl cafe). Alamo square is within walking distance ( 10 min). Personnel is very nice and helpful. You can also get transp to airport for 10 dollar per person. Arriving by shuttle from airport is 17 dollars per person. Overall, very good value for money, close to major attractions by public transport. I would stay here again and again ( and again, since my wife and I really like SF).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank OzgurRosti
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My friend and I heard about the Metro Hotel and they exceeded our expectations. From check-in the check-out they were helpful, friendly and made our vacation great! Location was fantastic if your looking to use public transportation like a local! Great shops, diners and window shopping on Divisidero street.

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank MissGreen_12
Reviewed 25 December 2012

The Metro was located in what seemed to be a decent place. My friend and I arrived and the woman at the front desk, Shenae (?) was very friendly and knew what she was talking about. The bed was comfortable but the room itself could have used a little more fengshui, more colors. It was nice and very affordable for San Francisco.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zoe M
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Good location, staff were really friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. If you need to know anything about the area just ask, they were great with directions and things to do, calling cabs ect. Rooms were really clean and tidy, small but who cares really! Best bed ever! We had a room facing the little back garden which was nice and quiet. The lobby is really cool, there's no elevator so if you're on a hospital visit or need help up stairs keep that in mind. Great little hotel, nice location, clean and friendly. Great stay, thanks!

• Stayed: December 2012