“Coffee fantastic but...”

Neighbourhood: Union Square
Neighbourhood: Union Square
“Coffee fantastic but...”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

After visiting here in January and discovering great coffee at last from travelling in USA for a month my wife & I had high expectations returning. It was our first morning back in SF and we were meeting friends for brunch and were let down. We got two take away coffees to start with as our friends were running late. I ordered a bacon & egg sandwich that was way overpriced but I was hungry and after waiting 10 minutes went back inside and was told I should have had a number & they'd cook a new one. No apology & waitress was a bit rude. A fresh one was delivered & our friends arrived. We ordered more coffee & food and were happy with the coffee but the food was overpriced as obviously us tourists just pay it. If their service matched their price & the staff brought your meals out & gave you water maybe ok but you have to wait and carry outside your 'eat in' plates & get the water yourself. Great coffee but not worth it for poor service & overpriced food sorry.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Delicious espresso drinks and pastries.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The staff was friendly and the espresso and pastries were TOP NOTCH. Great spot for breakfast. We had a chocolate croissant and some kind of filled donut pastry and they were delicious.

• Visited August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Stroppy staff!”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Coffee great bit sadly staff at counter unpleasant and unhelpful. Could do with a bit of training in customer relations.

Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Euro / Aussie style coffee”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This cafe has the best European / Australian style coffee I could find in SF.

(European style coffee (latte's etc) from most US establishments, and particularly the chains is superheated (both the coffee and the milk) and tastes burnt to me. You should never need a sleeve to hold a coffee, if you do, the milk has been burnt. My theory is that years of drinking percolated coffee, sitting on a burner all day, has tuned US palates to this taste, but it doesn't work for me.)

The coffee here is generally prepared without being overcooked. It is a nice location but I found the constant presence of the birds to be somewhat annoying. This seemed to differ by time of day and how busy the place was though.

I didn't try the food, but this is a prime tourist area, so you shouldn't be surprised that it may be overpriced.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ivanhoe19
Northern California
“Nice Place to People Watch”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is a nice place to sit outside and watch people walking across Union Square as you sip your latte. The towers of the St. Francis are across the way and there's always something going on in the square. A good place to take a breath in the City.

Visited March 2013