“Damn Tasty for West Coast BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Memphis Minnie's

Memphis Minnie's
Ranked #643 of 5,642 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Haight-Ashbury
Worldwide
“Damn Tasty for West Coast BBQ”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I love BBQ and Memphis Minnie's didn't disappoint. We went with the 3 meat platter, with two sides. Two of us feasted on brisket, ribs and chorizo with mac n' cheese and collards as our sides. The meat was tender inside with a delicate char on the outside. Infused with distinct --but not overpowering-- smokiness, this was what I needed to satisfy my BBQ jones. The collards are unique, perhaps not for everyone since they bend more to the sweet side of things vs. the meaty/porky flavour I'm more familiar with. The Sweet Potato Pie was a great finish.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank P K

Washington, DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fried chicken sandwich is a life changer!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Some friends took us for the first time last week. Holy crap! That fried chicken sandwich literally made my whole week better. And Manny...what can I say? I was smitten. So nice and so friendly. Thanks for the bacon brittle. We will be back!

• Visited September 2013
Southampton England
“Great place, still not convinced I've tried the best BBQ though.”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

No doubt about it I loved this place. We are over from England on honeymoon and being an avid fan of Man v Food I was desperate to try BBQ whilst over in the states. I know San Fran probably isn't the best place for it but trip advisor guided me here! I ordered the Minnie's taster where you can choose 3 meats and 2 sides (for us to share). I'd been dying to try brisket (never had it), ribs and pulled pork in the states so that's what I went for! For sides I got mac and cheese and tangy slaw. You also got a corn muffin (cornbread?) on the side. Mac and cheese and slaw was brilliant and I loved the corn bread. Pulled pork in all honesty was pretty average, brisket tasted really good but a little dry and the ribs were not fall off the bone. They were tasty but you kinda had to chew them off the bone. I love my condiments and was in heaven as they have 4 bottles of sauce in your table which were all great. The meat in all honesty was all a little dry so the sauces were very welcome. Maybe I was expecting too much from BBQ (although I know from man v food that some juicy brisket and melt in the mouth ribs must exist?!) but as the title suggests maybe I'm destined not to have the best BBQ on this trip. I feel I'm coming across a bit harsh as I really loved it and gave it 4 stars quite rightly. Lovely service and decor too.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“So good it brought a tear to my eyes.”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

How could meat be this good? I was invited to a Dishcrawl Lower Haight event while visiting San Francisco. This event included visiting four different restaurants in the Lower Haight area of SF and Memphis Minnie’s was one of the stops. We were treated to three different sliders: smoked pork, beef brisket, and pastrami. The meats were succulent and flavorful. The flavor was greatly enhanced by the signature sauces hanging out on the table. Pastrami is only available on Wednesdays. The pastrami was a gift from the heavens which had gone through some sort of ten day process to produce one of the most magnificent displays of meaty heavenliness that I had tasted in a long time.

The food was so good … so very very good.

• Visited July 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Amazing to find this here”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I'm from North Carolina, originally from Tennessee, and I have a daughter in Austin, Texas. I've eaten barbecue for a long time, in a great many classic -- i.e., Southern -- places. I was amazed to find authentic wood-cooked barbecue in downtown San Francisco: Far too many places downhome have given up and switched to gas, but Bob Kantor cuts no corners. Even his side dishes are terrific. How he does such good greens without any meat in them is beyond me, but those and his mac and cheese and his sweet potato and pecan pies (all made in the place) give vegetarians something to eat while their friends chow down on absolutely first-rate brisket and ribs. Vince Staten, author of the book Real Barbecue, says this is the best barbecue in the state, but I think that's too modest a claim: It''s probably the best west of Texas. San Franciscans should count themselves lucky to have it right there on Haight Street.

• Visited February 2013