“Very Good & Very Expensive”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 5,715 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: Pacific Heights
Cross street: California
Transit: End of California Line
Sarasota, Florida
“Very Good & Very Expensive”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is the first Ruth's Chris Steak House I have ever been to and to be honest the only reason I went is because I couldn't get a reservation at The House of Prime Rib till Tuesday. I ate at Ruth's Chris on a Friday night and I was leaving Wednesday. I ended up cancelling my res. at the HOPR because I figured one treat, one splurge, one wallet buster was enough even if I was on vacation. Although, I did walk there from my hotel and walked back as well with some leftovers in tow that I ate the following night at the ballgame.
My res was for 9 PM and was promptly seated at a window table. The view of Van Ness Ave was not too breathtaking and is was so drafty I ate with my jacket on. My waiter said they had moved the previous folks who sat there and maybe I should have done the same thing but I didn't. Started to look over the menu and began selecting items all a la carte. It can get expensive that way if you're an inexperienced restaurant goer and your eyes are suddenly bigger than your stomach and you're ordering like this is going to be your last meal. That's me and my bill reflected that.
First came the large bottle of Pellegrino water, followed by an excellent glass of wine that me not being a wine snob I forget what it was but it was very good. I'm a Diet Coke guy plain and simple. Next came the soup, followed by the ravioli, followed by the lobster mac n' cheese, followed by the main course steak and finished up with some bread pudding and a large bill.
It was all very good and a few pieces of the steak, some of the bread pudding and all the lobster mac n' cheese came back to the hotel with me and some of the leftovers accompanied me to the ballgame the following evening. All in all an excellent meal, great food, great service and a great big bill. I'm not complaining. Trust me, I've spent much, much more on more frivolous, carefree items while there than you care to know about.
But, nothing against Ruth's Chris but next time I think I'll stick with the House of Prime Rib..

• Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Stockholm, Sweden
“Better in Texas”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Good food but medium service. Steaks are great and many good wines on glass. I have expected better service but the meat and the potato gratin was good.

Visited July 2014
Newton
“Perfect honeymoon dinner”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Our last night in San Francisco my husband and I wanted a great honeymoon dinner and Ruth's Chris delivered! The staff was amazing, the drinks were fabulous and dinner was fantastic! The staff made us feel special and the restaurant offered a relaxing, comfortable atmosphere! A beautiful dining experience!

San Francisco, California
“Yes, it's a chain-but this location is a cut above”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I haven't had a great deal of luck at the various Ruth's Chris locations, not so much for the food, but usually the ambiance. This location, however, is a cut above the norm. First, the quality service is immediately noticeable; not just the staff serving us but the entire restaurant staff seems determined to ensure the visit is memorable. As to the food; if you like steak, this place is pretty darn good. (probably not 'good for you', but that's another story-hey, the steak comes in about a quarter inch of butter in the platter). The one thing i love about this place: dining here is truly 'intimate'; quiet, low key, well appointed and COMFORTABLE. If you are looking for a great steak dinner, and good conversation in a comfortable spot, this is it. I would say it's great for romantic dinners, but you do tend to be a bit 'stuffed and logy' after. So, if you can manage to sample the menu in moderation, it's a great place for couples, and also a nice dinner before the opera, although you will probably need to cab it.

• Visited April 2014
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Steak Place”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Very good steak restaurant, part of a small private chain. Very good steak and the service was outstanding (I hope the waiter and maitre d' read this because they did a great double act and had us in stitches). If you like a steak you would struggle to find anywhere better.

Visited May 2014