“the finest coffee in San Francisco, I thought.”

Thorough Bread and Pastry
Ranked #34 of 116 Bakeries in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Reviewed 7 April 2012

In the Castro, I stopped for refreshments at "Thorough Bread and Pastry" (248 Church Street) where I had perhaps the finest cup of coffee of my entire trip. The prices are very reasonable (a bargain for anyone living in Miami). Service was excellent and I enjoyed my treat in their private garden patio.

Read more: http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/blatham/5/1331557091/tpod.html#ixzz1rOa2rrAy

There are newer reviews for Thorough Bread and Pastry

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Michael Suas' restaurant reflects the professional pastry and bread classes that he runs at San Francisco Baking Institute. Everything we tried was excellent. Busy Sunday mornings!

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Try the olive bread that is shaped like an enormous pretzel. Good service, clean pastries and cookies, great coffee.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I have returned to Thorough Bread and Pastry many times during my trips to SF. Since my first visit, this is now a very popular cafe and it's almost always full.

My favorites: almond croissants, tuna melt, Garden sandwich (roasted red peppers, eggplant, tomato with goat cheese on focaccia bread), and their delicious olive bread loaves. If the weather permits, sit in the back garden. The only thing I do not recommend is the chicken sandwich; it's actually pretty bad.

If you are in the Castro or the Mission area, you should stop here for breakfast, lunch, or an afternoon snack. Note that this restaurant is closed on Mondays

Reviewed 23 September 2011

This pastry is a MUST if you plan to walk around Mission/District. Many types of standard bread but also a lot of cookies and delicious surprises! I've tried the chocolate bread and I coulnd't stop.
They also have good machines for coffe (espresso) and cappuccino, just perfect for a tasty breakfast before a long exploring day of San Francisco.