“Very Disappointed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Hayes Valley
Cross street: Between California & Sacramento St.
San Jose, California
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

Decided to go to Citizen Cake on the success that Elizabeth Falkner was having on "The Next Iron Chef". Well....Maybe she needs to throw some of her passion to her chef employees!! I realize this place is a bakery first, but if your going to serve food at least make it edible. My GF had the roast beef sandwich which I had a taste of. The pickled beets on it was so overpowereing it should of been called a pickled beet sandwich..The aus jus that came with it was very oily and tasted like vinegar! I had the chicken cobb sandwich that was ok..but very small.. Service was very slow although our server was very friendly. I can see that the food was coming out of the kitchen very slow!! I expected alot more from a place that Elizabeth Falkner puts her name on. Will not return!!

• Visited December 2011

Oslo, Norway
“Great Eats!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

When we arrived for dinner, the first thing we noticed was the slightly odd menu. It is a bit limited in options for dinner, but offers a dozen sundae options.

Everything about the meal was excellent, though, including dessert.

Kihei, Hawaii
“Great dining expierence”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I found this restaurant online with a coupon from Bloomspot and thought why not. I was glad to have taken the chance. It is small and intimate with a limited menu and everything that we ate was delicious paired with excellent customer service. Make sure to leave room for a dessert since that is what the chef is known for. Yummy!

• Visited August 2011
Orange county, CA
“huge time gap between the soup and the entree”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Walked in off the street with a big group -8 of us and they accomodated us. I don't know what happened in the kitchen but after getting our first course of soup - no one's entree came out for an extremely long time. Had I not already ordered my entree, I would have been glad to skip to the dessert course as the soup had been wonderful and pretty filling (corn soup - not cream based). I think overall it took about 3 hrs for us to have dinner there.
Entree was ok - but not worth that kind of wait. Desert was wonderful.

• Visited July 2011
Ashland, Oregon
“We made a special trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

To begin, we did not go to the restaurant but to the bakery. We drove down from Oregon to visit my family and after having read her cake cookbook, I had to make this stop. We bought a beautiful tall cake with Citizen Cake signature architectural ornamentation on top! The clerk was gracious, wrapped our cake into a beribboned box and took our money nicely. At my brother's house in Marin, yeah, this was a lot of driving, we ate this beautiful cake for dessert. It was as delicious as it looked and smelled.

• Visited September 2010