“Great steaks, "old world" atmosphere”

Alfred's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Alfred's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #459 of 5,645 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Kearny
Transit: #15 bus #41 bus
Description: Alfred's: an oasis of steak, Scotch, and swank. Shaking up martinis and grilling dry-aged beef over mesquite since 1928, with unassumingly traditional service from a veteran staff.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great steaks, "old world" atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I had never been to Alfred's but had visited many of the local steak/prime rib restaurants over the last 2 years. Local residents with some association to the financial district spoke highly of the food and the old style steak house look.

They were right on. Apps like toasted garlic bread, prosciutto wrapped shrimp and calamari may lack for creativity but are top notch as were the salads (wedge, spinach). To the steaks next, choices are traditional filet, sirloin, etc., etc.; I enjoyed a Tuscan T-bone; a great cut perfectly cooked rubbed with olive oil and rosemary; it made a very tasty cut of beef with a slightly unique flavor. Others enjoyed the afore mentioned cuts of beef served wit the usual sides, all well prepared.

The wine list is not buried in cabs; there are other reds of great value and quality. The charge = or less than 1.5 times street price. We enjoyed a delicious Frank Family Zin and were tempted by the ripasso valpolicella a steal at <$40. The list isn't as extensive as others (read Bob's, Ruths' and other locals beef places) Prices are on the low end for the high quality meats.

Now the look. It's from the past, red leather, walls and a non-modern appearance. This is a preservation of steak houses past and they pull it off with just enough modern touches.

It's now at the top of our list when we get the urge for beef in San Francisco.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank fcarr

Mondovi, Italy
“Nice steak”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

I was alone, and I ate at the bar. Very nice talk with the barman, in spite of my bad English. I ate a portland steak, and it wad delicious! I really enjoided the food and the stay

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gianpaolo B
Georgetown, Texas
“So Rare Today...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Although I left CA in 2000, I've probably been to Alfred's Steakhouse dozens of times, even the original location over the tunnel (!) and have never had a negative experience. This place still defines class from the moment you enter and are greeted by warm, personable people. The steaks are perfectly cooked, the sides are excellent, the salads are fresh and great - especially the Wedge - and the wine list is very good. The service is first rate, prompt but not intrusive. Old school? Yes! Great for business dining? Yes! Proper attire and no screaming infants? Yes! Better than over-priced chain steakhouses serving naked plates splashing you with sizzling butter? YES!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank John D
Montauroux, France
“Too rushed to be enjoyed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Advertisement descriptions for this restaurant use terms such as “Alfred’s ambiance radiates with the feel of true fine dining … the glow of dazzling chandeliers, starch white linens” and so on. This is all true, but our experience here one Thursday night was marred by being rushed. When booking on the restaurant internet site, we only had the choice of 6pm or 8pm, not the 7-7:30 we wanted; perhaps they were full that night? However, on arrival, there seemed to be many free tables, so at least we were hoping for a leisurely meal. Not so! Our starters arrived before even half-way through our martinis, the garlic bread we'd ordered for with the starters only materialised - after 2 reminders - when we had our main courses (too late), and our main courses arrived just as I was finishing my starter. A distinct lack of coordination and/or communication between the house and the kitchen. The steaks were of course excellent but what a lack of initiative in that the only half-bottle of red wine on the wine list (we were only two and my wife does not drink) was an Italian wine. I love Italian wine, but in a restaurant with the Californian vineyards so close, I was disappointed.
Overall a pleasant evening, but it could so easily - and should - have been memorable.

• Visited March 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent Steak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Alfred's staff was extremely friendly and the food was great. It might be the best steak I've ever had in San Fran!

Visited February 2014