“Excellent happy hour”
Review of Farallon

Farallon
Reserve with OpenTable
Farallon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #76 of 5,737 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Powell and Mason
Transit: Cable Car, 38 Geary Bus, 1 California Bus
UK
“Excellent happy hour”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

6-7pm there is a short menu of ~8 dishes, 4 cocktails, and 3 wines (white, red and sparkling), for $6 each. I went specifically for this and was not disappointed. The chardonnay (South African) was superb, I would have happily paid twice the amount for that. The oysters, at six dollars for six, we're excellent... I ordered another half dozen.. Plus truffled fries. Superb. All in, 2 glasses, a dozen oysters, and the truffle fries, came in at $33 plus tip... And I would do it again in an instant. I'll be back next time!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
“Excellent Seafood from Sustainable Sources -- Go for it!`”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had a truly fine meal at Farallon. On entering, we were struck by the fascinating and opulent décor (was it Art Deco?) But after a little while we got lost in the food, and that was a wonderful experience. Delicious caviar (from California Paddlefish, not endangered Caspian Sea sturgeon), fresh cold Dungeness Crab, excellent fish -- everything was delicious.

Our server was friendly and good with helpful advice on food and wine. The service was not rushed and we lingered over dessert. This is a fairly pricey place, but oooooo really worth it.

Visited April 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“At least we have the grapes”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We had travelled 6000 miles to holiday in San Francisco. We were disappointed in our visit to Farallon. Hopefully San Franciscans do not consider Farallon as fine dining. The ratio between quality and price is very low. My wife's Louisiana prawns were tasteless and her steak was so salted as to make it almost inedible. My scallops were supposed to come in a mussel and clam stew but in fact came in what seemed to be the water in which the accompanying pasta had been cooked. However what saved the evening for us was the studied indifference and pretention of our waiter. (However he really should brush the crumbs on the table on to a small plate rather than straight to the floor. Or I am I being just a little pretentious myself.) We really found it so amusing. When I think of it the waiter probably saved the evening for us. At least we had something to laugh at. He made up for what was quite a poor meal. As for the title of my review my wife considered the grapes which came with my cheeseboard the best part of the meal.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank EamonJ
San Francisco, California
“Fresh seafood”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Great service and great meal! The tasting menu was the deal! Great dishes paired with terrific wines. Maine lobster salad was definitely my favorite. Halibut wrapped in Napa cabbage made the fish flavorless to me - I should have gotten the petrale sole instead. The panna cotta was a bit too runny but the salted caramel sundae was definitely a hit! Pricey but worth it.

Calabasas, California
“Wonderful Evening and a Great Meal”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This place starts out with superb ambiance, with blown-glass jellyfish suspended from the ceiling, and other sea creatures decorating the rear dining room. We were seated promptly at the time of our reservation with our party of six, and we told the waiter about our timing needs regarding a play that we were seeing that night. Our waiter paid attention to the time issue, and got us out (without rushing) right on time. The seafood was excellent. Sardine appetizer and striped bass entrée were among the highlights, but everyone enjoyed their meal. A slight turnoff was that every one of the waiter's wine selections was above $120 per bottle. When we pressed him for suggestions under $75, we got suggestions that turned out to go perfectly with our meal. (Suggestion: Have a price-point in mind for the wine before asking for suggestions.)

• Visited March 2014