“live swing/jazz band upstairs makes it worthwhile”
Review of Le Colonial

Le Colonial
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Colonial is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$5 - US$80
Cuisines: Asian, French, Vietnamese, Contemporary
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Taylor and Jones
Reviewed 9 June 2014

we went here for dine about town and ended up with one meal off the menu. the beef salad was really delish as was the coconut cake for dessert but everything else was a bit bland. we eat a lot of pho and lemongrass chicken at our local $ spot and are used to a lot more spice and not necessairly heat. the outside courtyard is beautiful and portions were good size. its a popular place as the inside was packed and service is top notch. maybe we just ordered the wrong things. the goi ga needed a kick and the thit kho nuoc dua was very tender and the sauce was good but it too needed something extra. the highlight of the evening was the swing band upstairs which drew a small but fun to watch crowd of dancers. might go back again to see the music and order some appys. my rating went up because of the music.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

First, I booked our reservation thru open table for the Dine About SF dates so I knew our experience would not be the full blown restaurant I have been hearing about since moving to San Francisco. I went with someone who had been there twice before and even she was let down by this visit. We arrived for our reservations about 5 minutes early to an almost empty restaurant and when I noted that we were there for Dine About SF the host looked at a table right by the door and noted that it was what he had set for us. Okay, by the door in a huge empty restaurant I understand that we are a prix fixe. Our waiter was wonderful - attentive, friendly and professional. We made our choices from the Dine About Menu which for a first gave my vegetarian friend more options as they had chosen to use only three appetizers, three entrees and two desserts for their menu. The egg rolls with butter lettuce wraps were delicious. I picked a scallop, mussels and shrimp entree which was not overly spicy but again good. My friend had chosen the tofu and seaweed wraps which were not flavorful at all. The coffee creme brulee was a nice ending to the meal and we did not need coffee after it. By the time we left, the restaurant had become crowded and the music upstairs had started. I can now say I have been and I am not going to feel the need to hurry back as there are other places for seafood in SF.

1  Thank Arias55
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Le Colonial, San Francisco

When the fervent Roman Catholics from France landed in Vietnam, sometime in the 1650s, they hardly realized the impact they would make on the culinary tradition of that small, long thin Asian nation…and in time, in the lands far removed from it. Traditionally Vietnamese food comprised diverse fresh herbs, meat, seafood, rice…and watery soups. The French bunged in potatoes, lettuce, carrots, asparagus, cauliflower, and other things foreign into that fare including the whiff of coffee and crusty baguettes. The cultural melting pot got the moniker, French Vietnamese cuisine. Hugely popular around the world.

In San Francisco, the tradition continues albeit in a delicious 1920s time-warp known as Le Colonial. The setting is elegant – palms and other tropical potted plants, stylish cane furniture, goose-neck lamps in the atrium-like courtyard. Elsewhere, inside, upstairs and downstairs there are details from a French colonial bungalow - large ceiling fans, louver windows, b/w mosaic tiling, old brass lamps and fittings, low dining tables on old rugs and carpets. Everywhere the atmosphere is relaxed, tropical. Within an hour or so of our visit, the place was getting filled with a happy after-office crowd celebrating some event.

Earlier even as the rest of the family was deciding on the wine and food, I made the quick, small tour of the place. The recreation of French Vietnam complete with music – a jazz guitarist softly delightfully filling the air, was amazing. So was the food.
Our group ordered a variety of the house specials including an aromatic beef-rice noodle soup with chili and lime (Pho Bo), watercress-avocado-cherry tomato with crisp pork strips salad, tossed red meat in garlic-soy sauce, shrimp spring rolls (Goi Coun), halibut drizzled with pine-apple-tomato sauce, sea bass, halibut served with tangy pineapple-tomato sauce… and such ending with the famed flourless chocolate cake. Were we, a group of young Indian visitors, happy with the setting, the food and the evening? Definitely. Can’t wait to go back there!

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Tasteful decor giving a french vietnamese feeling. Very inviting..did not feel like I was in SFO. Tasty food and friendly staff. I wanted curry but didnt fancy the tofu option for main. The waitress suggested the sweet potato curry without the fish. I would definately return. Booking recommended especially at the weekend.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Our recent meal this French-Vietnamese restaurant was very good. The restaurant has great ambiance and service was very good. Although our entrees were quite good, I believe they fell shy of being excellent. Some items (curry shrimp) had incredibly potential, but were a bit dull and were not very hot by the time they got to the table. My dinner mate's fish in banana leaf was excellent, and our table shared a brussel sprout dish that was unique and delicious.

There is nice atrium seating if weather permits. Service was very good. Facility was clean and staff were attentive, well-informed and friendly.