“It Doesn't Look Like Much When You Arrive But The New Chef Is Phenomenal!”
Review of Postrio - CLOSED

Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Cross street: Taylor and Mason
Transit: We are only a block from the Powell Street cable car lines, and a short 5 block walk to Powell Street Bart Station.
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Loved the beet and carrot salad and can't say enough about the raviolis. This chef knows his stuff as the portions were perfect. I left the restaurant on my way to a pre-wedding reception feeling full but not too full or over stuffed from eating too much.

Matthew S, General Manager at Postrio, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your comments! We hear that a lot from our dinner guests and our new chef takes so much pride in what he does. He is trying to keep a few of the postrio traditions going but he wants to make his own mark on the brand as well. Stop by and say hello the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We came in tired from shopping and found the food strange and not so good. It was only lunch, but the restaurant needs help.

Matthew S, Manager at Postrio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for your comments, JonieSue! We actually couldn't agree more with our lunch menu not being up to our standards which is why we are revamping it currently. In the mean time, try us for dinner where chef Brandon Armstrong is producing some truly delicious food for tired shoppers every night.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Although the food wasn't cheap, it lived up to the price tag in terms of quality. If you want a cheaper or less fancy option, go for the wood fired pizzas, they are really tasty!

Matthew S, Manager at Postrio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Thank you for your recommendation and the insider's scoop on the pizzas. The pizzas have been a Postrio tradition for years! As a note to other visitors who may not find them on our dinner menu, please ask your server and we will be happy to make one of our signature pizzas for you.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Arriving in San Francisco at midday, I took myself around the corner from my hotel to Postrio for a late lunch. I had the restaurant practically to myself on a Monday afternoon--a little quiet and elbow room after my plane flight. My roasted porchetta sandwich was scrumptious, nicely accompanied by a green salad. With a glass of flavorful iced tea, it gave me everything I needed to power through a walk to the top of Nob Hill and Russian Hill (and back down to Union Square again).

Hi Chris,

Good to hear we were able to give you some additional energy. Next time you're in town join us for dinner where you can experience the full depth and talent of Chef Brandon Armstrong's cooking. Right now I'm loving his Fire Roasted Lambchetta with tokyo turnips that are just coming in for fall.

Warm Regards,
Matt

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Having read many negative reviews on OpenTable and Yelp I didn't hold out much hope for my meal and almost cancelled. I'm glad I didn't.

The atmosphere is warm, calm and relaxed. To start I had tasty dish of steamed mussels with chorizo that was more that though not mind blowing with tasty, perfectly proportioned and had plenty of chorizo to enjoy. I ordered the delicious prosciutto and fig "cold" pizza for my main with a a crispy light base and so much topping I easily filled my pig-based food quota for the month. The truffle oil just managed to not be overpowering. I was glad my server persuaded me not to change my mind when I considered changing my initial order.

The sticky toffee pudding was the only part of the meal that was disappointment. Though not unpleasant the sponge was not light enough nor the caramel sauce sufficiently buttery as it should be and sadly it seemed like both my and my wife's dessert order had been left out for a while before being brought to the table and it they'd both cooled and the ice-cream had melted substantially.

Apart from that slight slip in table service our waiter, Justin, balanced attentive knowledgeable service without being overbearing or intrusive on our evening.

One minor gripe, the meeter and greeter was slow to attend us and not at all welcoming to the restaurant but once seated we were happy.

I would recommend Postrio for its relaxed and intimate atmosphere which gives you the warmth and buzz of being in a restaurant without the bustle many other places have. The food is significantly better than many other places in the Union Square area and overall there is no sense of the tourist trap vibe I feared there would be.