“Best Meal of Our Trip”

Fog City
Ranked #456 of 5,801 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$30 - US$55
Cuisines: American, Diner, Delicatessen
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Embarcadero
Transit: Muni F line located directly across from the restaurant on The Embarcadero. The Muni 10 line stops at Sansome and Greenwich.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We spent our first evening in San Francisco enjoying a fabulous meal at Fog City. First, I love the hip, mid-century vibe of the restaurant. Second, we enjoyed one of the best appetizers I've ever had anywhere - Seasoned Peanuts with Bacon. For my meal, I ordered two appetizers - the crabcake with pesto aioli and a beet salad paired with a glass of Grenache. Everything was perfectly prepared and the combination of flavors superb. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the Wild Boar Spare Ribs, and my 7year-old daughter ate a gigantic cheeseburger. Can't wait to eat there again when and if we ever return to San Francisco!

1  Thank Jennifer K

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We ended a day of touring here and were happily surprised at the food choices and excellent service. Our waiter was fun, knowledgeable and his choices were spot on. Love the atmosphere. Casual but kind of a cut above the norm. Go there, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I'm a recent transplant to San Francisco, and have been vaguely aware of FCD for awhile. But somehow I got the idea it was a diner. Dropped in for dinner on the way to the movies at the Embarcadero Centre; it's not a diner, but is more in the American bistro format. Food was average, but I would give them high marks for a friendly staff who are ready to pour a large selection of fun cocktails. I would go early as the place appears to pack out.

2  Thank Yog-Sothoth
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Fell upon this as we were searching for food and had walked most of Embarcadero unsuccessfully looking in at Pier 7 or 9 for something we liked the look of.
The welcome was good and the menu looked appealing. There was a good selection of beers and the cheese biscuits with rosemary were really tasty.
The menu seems to show that the chef is really concerned with the origin and quality of the ingredients - also that they are willing to go a bit left field - the fries with bonito flakes and furikake was a tasty novelty. Artichokes with aioli were pretty damn good. The burger was memorable if a tiny bit expensive. Finished with a delicious cruller with caramel sauce and frozen custard.

I'd go back at a moments notice if only there wasn't an 11h flight involved.

1  Thank ChrisJLamb
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've been wanting to try this restaurant ever since seeing it in an American Express TV ad campaign years ago. Friends who had been to San Francisco also recommended it, and I finally had the opportunity about a week ago. I had already been to a couple of the typical tourist-type restaurants on the wharf, so I was pleasantly surprised by the location, atmosphere and food at the Fog City Diner. It is (mercifully) located at the corner of Embarcadero and Battery, away from the heavy tourist crowds at the west end of the wharf. The restaurant has had a recent facelift, and is more in keeping with the upscale and cutting-edge menu. I tried the famous hamburger, and my wife had the ribeye. Both were terrific: properly seasoned and prepared. The staff was very friendly, and even called a cab for us when we were leaving. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank MikeB607