“Great Chinese food with a twist”
Review of House of Nanking

House of Nanking
Ranked #134 of 5,711 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Description: House of Nanking is a staple Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Our recipes transpire from traditional recipes that have been updated based on our own experiences. We like to recreate standard dishes and give it a twist. At House of Nanking, one of the popular things to order is in fact not to order yourself! We are fantastic at putting together a dish for you based on what you like. Our menu is constantly changing and dishes are rotated around. Some of our dishes, however, are favorites and have been around for quite some time. These special dishes include: Nanking sesame chicken, fried potstickers with peanut sauce, shrimp packets with peanut sauce, house noodles and fried calamari.
“Great Chinese food with a twist”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

This place was clearly a happening place. Big crowds with tons of food was the story on a Friday night. We ordered the won ton soup which was outstanding, highlighted by the crispy rice! The pork fried rice was excellent with huge pieces of pork. The chicken chow mein was good, but had an overwhelming smoke flavor. Go here when in Chinatown!

Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for recommending us, and I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal. We work hard to make our dishes delicious and unique, and I hope you'll come again someday so that we can attempt to perfect your experience. I'm certain we can do it!

All the best,

Arlongton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

This is now my favorite Chinese restaurant in the USA. I recommend the Sesame Chicken. Let the waiter do the work for your order.

Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
I'm so happy that we've earned such a prestigious title, and that you're such a fan of our Sesame Chicken! Thank you for sharing this wonderfully positive feedback, and I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Columbus, Ohio
“Just say "feed me"...”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Be brave. Let them choose.

Sit down. Smile at your server, and say "feed me". They'll do the rest.

Love this place. Very good food. Fast service. Fairly priced.

Small, crowded, intimate.

• Visited February 2013
Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Travelling-Buckeye, thanks for your review here and on Yelp. You definitely get us, and we're looking forward to your next visit!

“Fast,good,fast,good,fast,good ”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I have tried it because some recommendation,I was lost in China town looking for a restaurant and found it, and remembered the recommendation, doo I went for adventures!
First adventure, you share the table with others guest, be ready for that and be open mind!
I ordered home noodles with chicken, enough for once guy! And a beer, they served Tsingtao.

It was ok, sharing the table with more people, and food and service was ok,too fast that's why the title good&fast!
I'll repeat, but please I'm not in a hurry I'm on holidays :-)

Thanks for this 4-star review. I really think you've found the perfect way to describe eating with us: It's an adventure. Great advice to keep an open mind. Many people aren't used to sharing a table or having the chef order for them, but it's all about the experience.

You may not be in a hurry, but we're eagerly awaiting your next visit!

Thanks again,
Kathy, Manager
“Authentic chinese foodies muz try!”
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Cuisines were tip-top quality.

Service was excellent and lady owner made every effort to ensure the guests were well taken care of.

And this review comes from the daughter of a top seafood restauranteur in Singapore.

Kathy F, Manager at House of Nanking, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Wow, we're honored to have earned 5 stars from you, Robin! Sounds like when it comes to restaurants, you know what you're talking about! Thanks for taking the time to write this review here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to have been able to take care of you, and we appreciate the kind words on our food and service.

Come see us again soon!