“Not authentic Senegalese food!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2,538 of 5,627 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Cuisines: African
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Description: Ever since first opening our doors in 1996, Bissap Baobab has brought the succulent flavors of Senegal to San Francisco's Mission District. Choose from a full range of gourmet African dishes,then wash it all down with one of our homemade juices: hibiscus, tamarind, or ginger, or with our signature cocktails. A Senegalese Restaurant from 5:30pm to 10:00pm Bissap Baobab turns into an eclectic Dance Party after 10pm several days per week serving African, Latin and International Musics (check our calendars for updates) Starting in July 2015 on Frid + Sat, Bissap Baobab is opening "The Elephant Lounge" with bottle service and African tapas at 10:30pm during Paris-Dakar African Dance Party. More than just a restaurant or a club, Bissap Baobab is a community center, with a laid back, yet distinctly cosmopolitan, worldly vibe which upholds the concept of an African village. Our name is a tribute to the meaningful symbol of life, community, and culture in Africa -- the Baobab tree. Just like its mighty namesake, Bissap Baobab provides sustenance and shelter for a multicultural community sharing in food, dance, and celebration. Join us for a meal, a song, or a dance, and become part of the family!
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Not authentic Senegalese food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Have been there with my wife during our stay in San Francisco. The place is a nice little restaurant and the staff was very nice. However, we went there for the food and the food was everything but authentic senegalese food! I had the worst Thiéboudienne I have had. This did not even deserve the name of Thiéboudienne. Instead of a whole grilled fish, i only had a small piece of snapper plenty of bones. The rice was not jollof rice, just some basic rice cooked in the microwave. It was totally dry and tasteless...
The staff manager was nice and replaced my Thiéboudienne by another dish. Even though the staff and the staff manager are really nice, the cook chief and kitchen personnel defintely need to be changed. Would defintely not advise this place to anybody!!! Of course, the price was defintely too expensive for the quality of the food we had in our plate!!!

• Visited November 2012

Tournai, Belgium
“Food is not Senagalese!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
san francisco
“A little slice of Africa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Tucked on a side street out of the hustle & bustle of Valencia Street (2 blocks away) this little gem was a big surprise. I met some work pals there for an end of school year 'drinks and appetizers' party. By around 7pm the bar was packed w/a young, hip crowd and every table was taken. The food is good. The service a bit slow but it's that kind of place. Laid back, relaxed. Just know, it's a bit funky - but that's the fun part - you feel on a little journey out of SF.

• Visited July 2012
Cologne, Germany
“Authentic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This place has character! I was walking by Mission Street looking for a place to eat but I didn't like the other places. Most of them looked too trendy to my taste. I had a good feeling when I saw from the exterior the Bissap Baobab. The place has a great decoration, it has character, it is authentic. For those who like African food, it would be perfect. I had some chicken in peanut sauce and veggies, and some couscous in the side. I drank ginger juice, one of the specialties of the place. The waitres (Bintu) was more than friendly and even gave me a free drink!

Visited April 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Mediocre food but I'm glad I got to try Senegalese food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Mediocre food but I'm glad I got to try Senegalese food!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook