“Good cocktails and well priced before 7pm”
Review of Bissap Baobab

Cuisines: African
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Description: Ever since first opening our doors in 1996, Bissap Baobab has brought the succulent flavors of Senegal to San Francisco's Mission District. Choose from a full range of gourmet African dishes,then wash it all down with one of our homemade juices: hibiscus, tamarind, or ginger, or with our signature cocktails. A Senegalese Restaurant from 5:30pm to 10:00pm Bissap Baobab turns into an eclectic Dance Party after 10pm several days per week serving African, Latin and International Musics (check our calendars for updates) Starting in July 2015 on Frid + Sat, Bissap Baobab is opening "The Elephant Lounge" with bottle service and African tapas at 10:30pm during Paris-Dakar African Dance Party. More than just a restaurant or a club, Bissap Baobab is a community center, with a laid back, yet distinctly cosmopolitan, worldly vibe which upholds the concept of an African village. Our name is a tribute to the meaningful symbol of life, community, and culture in Africa -- the Baobab tree. Just like its mighty namesake, Bissap Baobab provides sustenance and shelter for a multicultural community sharing in food, dance, and celebration. Join us for a meal, a song, or a dance, and become part of the family!
London
“Good cocktails and well priced before 7pm”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

If you eat before 7pm you get 2 courses and a cocktail for $20 which is a great deal.
Food was ok but a little bland could have done with more spice. Chicken legs rather than breast meat if that bother's you.
Main meal came whilst we were still eating starters pretty much returning all at once which made for a cramped table!

Great cocktails loved the little bob and the margarita.

Nice wait staff and friendly place

Fair Oaks, California
“Crowded, noisy but in a good lively, looking everywhere all at once kind of way”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I am not a hipster. I am way too old and nebbish to be a hipster. So when we decided to brave the drive on a Friday afternoon during a Giants game and Justin Timberlake concert traffic mess to go try Senegalese food (4 hours to get to the restaurant), I held my breath hoping for something good. The Mission District is crazy busy on a Friday, and this restaurant is no exception. The owners asked if we had a reservation, and we hadn't planned on it since we thought we'd get there when it opened at 6pm (NOTE: THEY ARE ONLY OPEN FOR DINNER!). But all was well. We ordered drinks, waited. Then ordered food. The food came much faster than the drinks! We wanted to try everything: plantains, fried mashed potatoes, chicken in mustard sauce, shrimp in tomato sauce, feta and spinach pasteles (like empanadas), spicy tuna stuffed avocados, couscous. YUM! Everything was hot, fresh, tasty, creative, wonderful! It was a little strange that there was belly dancing (I thought maybe Senegalese jazz was coming up, but it was fine) for entertainment. Would I drive 4 hours back to enjoy this food? Heck. Yes. Would I come back on a Friday this late? It's not my scene. There were way cooler people there hanging out at the bar with their awesome drinks, so I'll come early next time and stay and linger and eat as many things off the menu as I can. And I want to see all the art on the walls, so many murals!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank kcdenman
Bangkok, Thailand
“Terrific atmosphere and food”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our local friend took us to try out senegalli food. The atmosphere inside the restaurant was authentic, so was the outside with hugh restaurant sign in bright yellow and blue. We picked out 3 different dishes, one of which was vegetarian, and 2 h'ors doeuvres. They were all delicious and tasteful.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank asdaSap
Auckland, New Zealand
“Really fun”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Fun place, great bar. Friday and Saturday they have a traditional slow-cooked fish dish. Homemade juices.

Visited April 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Not authentic Senegalese food!”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Have been there with my wife during our stay in San Francisco. The place is a nice little restaurant and the staff was very nice. However, we went there for the food and the food was everything but authentic senegalese food! I had the worst Thiéboudienne I have had. This did not even deserve the name of Thiéboudienne. Instead of a whole grilled fish, i only had a small piece of snapper plenty of bones. The rice was not jollof rice, just some basic rice cooked in the microwave. It was totally dry and tasteless...
The staff manager was nice and replaced my Thiéboudienne by another dish. Even though the staff and the staff manager are really nice, the cook chief and kitchen personnel defintely need to be changed. Would defintely not advise this place to anybody!!! Of course, the price was defintely too expensive for the quality of the food we had in our plate!!!

• Visited November 2012