“Food? I don't know, but LOVED the dance scene”
Review of Bissap Baobab

Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Description: Ever since first opening our doors in 1996, Bissap Baobab has brought the succulent flavors of Senegal to San Francisco's Mission District. Choose from a full range of gourmet African dishes,then wash it all down with one of our homemade juices: hibiscus, tamarind, or ginger, or with our signature cocktails. A Senegalese Restaurant from 5:30pm to 10:00pm Bissap Baobab turns into an eclectic Dance Party after 10pm several days per week serving African, Latin and International Musics (check our calendars for updates) Starting in July 2015 on Frid + Sat, Bissap Baobab is opening "The Elephant Lounge" with bottle service and African tapas at 10:30pm during Paris-Dakar African Dance Party. More than just a restaurant or a club, Bissap Baobab is a community center, with a laid back, yet distinctly cosmopolitan, worldly vibe which upholds the concept of an African village. Our name is a tribute to the meaningful symbol of life, community, and culture in Africa -- the Baobab tree. Just like its mighty namesake, Bissap Baobab provides sustenance and shelter for a multicultural community sharing in food, dance, and celebration. Join us for a meal, a song, or a dance, and become part of the family!
Reviewed 6 July 2014

So, Bissap Baobab is a restaurant by day and a Latin/Caribbean club by night. I opted for the night option. For a $5 cover charge with valid identification, you dance to your heart's content until 1:50 am. The after hours are professionally ran to ensure everyone has a drama free night.

Having spent extensive time on the east coast, I was craving traditional Soca music. Although, Bissap did not offer the pure Caribbean experience advertised, the evening we had was better. This is a small place that invites diversity and a wholesome time. People of ALL walks of life were there simply to spend an evening dancing. There were locals, tourists, Caribbean, white, Latin and even a guy from Idaho. Some could dance, most could not, but all were dancing in a place where it is about unwinding and having a good time.

People would ask you to dance and only to dance a salsa, a steamy Caribbean song or whatever beat has you hips swinging. There were not concerns of unwanted advances or petty theft. The dress varied from typical club wear to just comfortable without looking tacky. I have never been to a place so laid back with so many different backgrounds. This was a welcomed break from the traditional club scene.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

If you eat before 7pm you get 2 courses and a cocktail for $20 which is a great deal.
Food was ok but a little bland could have done with more spice. Chicken legs rather than breast meat if that bother's you.
Main meal came whilst we were still eating starters pretty much returning all at once which made for a cramped table!

Great cocktails loved the little bob and the margarita.

Nice wait staff and friendly place

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I am not a hipster. I am way too old and nebbish to be a hipster. So when we decided to brave the drive on a Friday afternoon during a Giants game and Justin Timberlake concert traffic mess to go try Senegalese food (4 hours to get to the restaurant), I held my breath hoping for something good. The Mission District is crazy busy on a Friday, and this restaurant is no exception. The owners asked if we had a reservation, and we hadn't planned on it since we thought we'd get there when it opened at 6pm (NOTE: THEY ARE ONLY OPEN FOR DINNER!). But all was well. We ordered drinks, waited. Then ordered food. The food came much faster than the drinks! We wanted to try everything: plantains, fried mashed potatoes, chicken in mustard sauce, shrimp in tomato sauce, feta and spinach pasteles (like empanadas), spicy tuna stuffed avocados, couscous. YUM! Everything was hot, fresh, tasty, creative, wonderful! It was a little strange that there was belly dancing (I thought maybe Senegalese jazz was coming up, but it was fine) for entertainment. Would I drive 4 hours back to enjoy this food? Heck. Yes. Would I come back on a Friday this late? It's not my scene. There were way cooler people there hanging out at the bar with their awesome drinks, so I'll come early next time and stay and linger and eat as many things off the menu as I can. And I want to see all the art on the walls, so many murals!

1  Thank kcdenman
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our local friend took us to try out senegalli food. The atmosphere inside the restaurant was authentic, so was the outside with hugh restaurant sign in bright yellow and blue. We picked out 3 different dishes, one of which was vegetarian, and 2 h'ors doeuvres. They were all delicious and tasteful.

2  Thank asdaSap
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Fun place, great bar. Friday and Saturday they have a traditional slow-cooked fish dish. Homemade juices.