“Moonstruck!”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 18th Street
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We decided to go to Luna Park because my daughter had seen their s'mores features on Food Network's "Best Thing I ever Ate". Unfortunately, we went for Sunday brunch, and the s'mores aren't offered in that menu. BUT, it wasn't a total loss because, guess what, all their food is delicious and the funky decor is fun. We started off with Bloody Mary's - a bargain at 2 for $12.95. My husband order the corned beef, and it was a unique and delicious blend of roasted vegetables and big chunks of homemade corned beef. One of our daughters ordered the waffles with fresh berries which were very good, but our other daughter hit the homerun with their signature Trois Popovers - 3 good-sized popovers filled with goodness - one savory with bacon eggs, cheese and ham, and two sweet, cinnamon apples and berries with marscapone. The popovers alone are reason to seek out this Mission District spot!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Earlier today, my fiancée and I visited Luna Park for their happy hour offers. The food was good and the service was friendly. Everything was fine until we received our bill. The place had added tax to the normal price of our meal, not the happy hour price. As such, we had to pay tax of 80 USD in stead of just 40-odd dollars. This is either strange, as they are making their meals more expensive than they have to (by increasing the tax on the meal) or some kind of odd scam. Either way, we left the place with an sense of being cheated.

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Had a late breakfast here the other day. Tried the trois popovers, and I would have it again if I had someone to share with. I'd have been happy with *un* popover and maybe something else. Did not have a drink, but it's hard to imagine they don't have a great Bloody Mary. The inside is nice. But on a fine morning or afternoon, there is probably no place better to watch the world of Valencia st. go by. Believe me, if they had a street in Brooklyn that was as interesting as Valencia, prices there would be even higher than they are. I kid about the hipsters. You have families, and people of all sorts walking down the sidewalk. The hipsters are passing you on bicycles! The service is first rate. I did kind of get the impression that Luna Park was once an outpost of high-end Italian or similar cuisine, and probably isn't any more. But it is popular, and I'd go back, especially on a fine day with a sidewalk table available.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I thought the service and Bloody Marys were great. Restaurant is pretty loud and very busy for Sunday brunch. Nice atmosphere. Unfortunately I thought the food was just average. I had the Texas tacos. Although others had the Trois Popovers and they looked fabulous. Maybe try those next time...

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Came for a late Sunday brunch (2:30pm) to try something new. Bonus points for being on Open Table and being seated almost right away.

Demerits for sitting us between the table to the left of us with about 16 loud 20-somethings (in a space for maybe 18 - so not enough room that the guy to my left wasn't actually at a place setting, but was into my personal space while he hugged a corner of the table) - to the right, the drunk couple, especially the guy to my direct right who pointed to some person at the large table (at which point his pointing finger was basically between my face and my menu).

I was seated against the wall, but my husband was in a char opposite. Now behind him was a round communal-like table. Again, maybe something to comfortably seat 10, with 20 people around it.

Add in all the hard surfaces with nothing to break it up and the loud-ish background music, and I can understand why anyone over 30 would not want to come back.

Now, there are about four tables in the back that are away from clatter and chatter, but on the downside, they are on the way to the bathrooms.

Service and food were fine, but I wouldn't go back based on the noise level alone.