“Unique venue with equally unique food”
Review of Foreign Cinema

Foreign Cinema
Reserve with OpenTable
Foreign Cinema is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 21st St.
Transit: MUNI: 14 Mission bus; BART: 16th & 24th/Mission station
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were seated inside and I will warn you that seating is very tight and the restaurant is quite loud. The server was exceptionally knowledgeable about the menu which is helpful, because it is very detailed. He made some great suggestions and we enjoyed we everything that we tried. The service as a whole was quite a bit slower than I would have liked, but thankfully we were catching up with old friends and enjoyed the extra time. I would definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Foreign Cinema

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My son and daughter in law took me here for brunch when I visited them. Didn't know what to expect but they had extolled the virtues of this place. Luckily they paid because I thought it was very expensive but such wonderful food. I have never had scrambled eggs with shredded brussels sprouts before but it was so nice. It was a sunny day so we sat in the packed patio area and had a wonderful variety of foods - I think brunch is a much bigger deal in US than UK and with a much bigger range of things to eat. There were whole families there as well as couples, friends etc and it was right for everyone.
I would thoroughly recommend this place and would love to go again next time I visit

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This restaurant if a great example of what fine dinning is all about. The concept of the restaurant is attractive and creates a playful ambiance that matches perfect with the menu and the service that is super attentive but not stiff.
If this was a movie the main character is definitively their food, creative menu, amazing ingredients being honored in wicked simple appetizers or delicious main dishes. The fried chicken or the duck breast is worth a trip to this place. We also had a fantastic experience with the sommelier who lead us into the encounter of two new interesting wines that are now on my list of loved ones. Go to this restaurant, you will have an all-around fantastic dinner. Reservations are highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stopped by Foreign Cinema without a reservation planning on just having a drink. When we inquired about the possibility of dinner, the personable hostess found us a table near the bar that was perfect for people watching. It was very busy with a lot going on yet it didn't feel frantic or overly loud. It was definitely conducive to conversation which we really enjoyed. We ordered drinks (our bartender was Kevin, an awesome bartender and really nice guy--keep him happy Foreign Cinema, he's a treasure) and then a variety of appetizers to try a little of everything. Honestly, each dish was better than the last. All were presented artfully--small servings for sure but delicious. We finished off with a delicious Chocolate Pots de Creme that was simply the best I've ever had. Excellent experience, will definitely be back when I'm in town.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I can't recommend Foreign Cinema enough. Everything about the restaurant is great. Of course the food is outstanding. The avocado toast, mussel appetizer, and heritage pork are must orders. The atmosphere is great as well. Relaxed, airy, and refined.