“Overpriced”
Review of Foreign Cinema

Foreign Cinema
Reserve with OpenTable
Foreign Cinema is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 5,769 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$30 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Cross street: 21st St.
Transit: MUNI: 14 Mission bus; BART: 16th & 24th/Mission station
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I will say that the steak we had was the best steak I've ever tasted! However, it would've been nice to have the other half, as well. Very small portions and very large prices. Beware: The split on the wine list isn't for glass/bottle as is typical, it is for glass/caraffe, so you can expect to pay 33% more if you mistakenly order the bottle.

There are newer reviews for Foreign Cinema

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Thursday, 6-12-14...Saved for final night on our recent trip to the Bay...what a disaster. Sat at 6:15...patio table, only 2 others occupied...ordered 2 appetizers...while others arrived and received their orders, we were still waiting at 7:30-at which time ONLY ONE appi delivered. Waiter apologized and stated "the salmon appetizer always takes a little longer". Fine, except we did not ORDER a salmon appetizer. Waiter seemed very confused ("you didn't?"). At that time we figured we better ordered dinner (7:30). The one appetizer that we DID order was delivered (hour and a half?)...some type of fish/Cod pate in a little black skillet...ridiculously salty. 8:30, over 2 hours, other tables have arrived, eaten and left, still no dinner, waiter continuously apologizing ("yours is the next one up")...during this +2 hour wait we asked 3 different servers for more bread. Nothing. After entree's finally arrived, they brought bread. Bus boy apologized and said they were baking new loaf's, that's why the wait. When I commented to our WAITER that you bake your own bread on site, that went over his head and he stated "yes we buy all of our bread from a great bakery here in the city". So now the staff is lying to cover up the poor service?

When close to finished with our entree's, waiter stated that he had spoken with management and they would like to buy us desert to make up for the long wait. Desert...seriously? We advised neither of us eat deserts. That seemed to throw our waiter, he was again confused, didn't know what to say when we did not accept his "gracious" offer of desert. The bill came and to our surprise no other form of consideration was offered...no offer to even drop the cost of the ONE appetizer from the bill, buy us another drink, no manager came by the table (seriously doubt the waiter told his manager how badly he screwed up this table's order), ...nothing, which basically said to us "We acknowledge we've ruined your night, we'll buy you desert...take it or leave it". Our gratuity matched the terrible taste in our mouth's that "Foreign Cinema" left us with.

We will never go back, will share our experience with our contingent of world travelers that frequent San Francisco and would never recommend anyone venture into this dirty, creepy neighborhood when there are so many fabulous restaurants in the city (We know, as we had three straight nights at terrific spots prior to this nightmare)

4  Thank bumbalockus
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I loved the atmosphere! Must see to appreciate the interior of an old movie theater.
We tried the various sodas (cinnamon and lavender) which were very refreshing. I ordered the sesame chicken with honey...and cleaned my plate!!!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were seated inside and I will warn you that seating is very tight and the restaurant is quite loud. The server was exceptionally knowledgeable about the menu which is helpful, because it is very detailed. He made some great suggestions and we enjoyed we everything that we tried. The service as a whole was quite a bit slower than I would have liked, but thankfully we were catching up with old friends and enjoyed the extra time. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My son and daughter in law took me here for brunch when I visited them. Didn't know what to expect but they had extolled the virtues of this place. Luckily they paid because I thought it was very expensive but such wonderful food. I have never had scrambled eggs with shredded brussels sprouts before but it was so nice. It was a sunny day so we sat in the packed patio area and had a wonderful variety of foods - I think brunch is a much bigger deal in US than UK and with a much bigger range of things to eat. There were whole families there as well as couples, friends etc and it was right for everyone.
I would thoroughly recommend this place and would love to go again next time I visit