“Hidden star in a sleepy hood”
Review of Sociale

Sociale
Reserve with OpenTable
Sociale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #734 of 5,735 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Locust St./Spruce St.
Transit: MUNI: 1 California, 33 Ashbury, 43 Masonic
San Francisco, California, United States
“Hidden star in a sleepy hood”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I live in San Fran and really am ridiculously spoiled by the choices we have here of the most amazing restaurants in the world. So, when I say no need to take this with a grain of salt you can believe it! Went to Sociale last night with a friend and was not expecting much, but had probably one of the best meals I've had in this city. The pan fried wild boar ravioli was crazy good, and the pasta special as well. The sea bass perfect too, with fresh baked bread and butter that tasted like it was part mascarpone. They also allow you to half pasta orders, so you can kind of do a tasing of pasta and follow it up with a main course to split, if that's to your liking. The service was excellent, with no less than 5 people tending to our table. And, the atmosphere of the outside patio was charming too, with heaters and sparkly lights adding to the European vibe. Oh, and keep in mind that the menu changes monthly, so if you're going to try the Wild Boar Ravioli, better get there soon!

• Visited April 2014

Walnut Creek, California
“Oh So Lovely”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It is quite an adventure to get to. One must go thru a narrow alley way ending up in a beautiful manicured courtyard. One has the option to eat either in the courtyard or in the restaurant. The interior of the restaurant is small and intimate. We arrived at the restaurant early, therefore the service was outstanding. As for the food, we had a white bean crostino and it was delicious, however a very small portion. For dinner, stuffed petrale sole…a bit fishy tasting and too much salt. The dessert, chocolate oblivion cake, very rich and fudgy.

• Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“First, you have to find it...”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

This restaurant is a bit of adventure to get to. You have to go through a narrow alley between buildings and then find yourself in a pretty courtyard, and there it is with both an outside seating area (with gas fired heaters when needed) and two inside dining rooms. The waitstaff is very accommodating. We mostly had the specials, and frankly, they were very good, but not great. I found them a bit pricey for what was delivered. As one of our party said, the location is a very San Francisco experience.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food distracted staff”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We ate at Sociale on Valentine's night. The four course set menu was extremely good and the food was prepared perfectly. Two things made the evening less than perfect and I'm willing to cut the staff a break because it was a very busy evening.
1. Our waitress got several of the orders wrong during the course of the meal. It could have been the noise, but after a couple of misses it detracted from dinner.
2. The four course menu came with a nice set of wine pairings. However, once the menu was taken from the table you would have never guessed what was being poured. The wine steward would briskly come to the table, mumble something about the wine, pour and disappear. I have had waitresses at a diner take more care in pouring my morning coffee then the staff did with the wine at Sociale.
Since the food was very good I will give it another try and hope for a better overall experience.

Seattle, Washington
“Quiet, out of the way, designer-food”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Be sure of your directions so you can find Sociale. It was not busy when we came so it was quiet. The menu has interesting items - tried artichoke tortellini and although the server gave a description of it I did not expect what was served: wide green pasta strips folded into cute shapes. Not like any tortellini I've had - in Italy or otherwise. So glad I shared this since I did not care for the sauce.

I can recommend the pot pie - whole wheat crust, nice sauce. Best thing I tasted there.

The serving sizes are small - when I saw the "tortellini", a full-size order, I wondered what a half portion would look like. (The pasta items are available in half portions.)

The wine list was good, and one of my friends found an interesting imported beer.

The menu describe a "little gem" salad as to its toppings, but no mention of the greens involved. It was romaine - but would you know from the menu?

Overall not a place I'd rush to go again. Server was attentive and helpful, but split what we didn't want split and vice-versa.