“Neighborhood Secret”
Review of Sociale

Sociale
Reserve with OpenTable
Sociale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #688 of 5,938 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Locust St./Spruce St.
Transit: MUNI: 1 California, 33 Ashbury, 43 Masonic
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Here is what I like about Sociale:
+ It is a great place to lunch after going to the nearby Legion of Honor Museum.
+ Sociale is hidden off the street so you better know where you are going.
+ The food is good.
+ There is a patio (there are heaters so nice even on a cool day) and a pleasantly decorated dining room.
Here is what I don't like about Sociale...parking is painful in this area so make sure you allow extra time to get there. It's worth it.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife discovered this little gem some years ago. It was on one of our first trips to San Francisco after we spent part of our honeymoon in the Bay Area. Since that first visit (2006?), we have eaten at Sociale each time we return. We have never been disappointed. Well, she was a little disappointed this time because we missed seeing Chef Harris on this trip. (For the record, Chef Harris could not pick us out of a line-up, but we have met here a couple of times, and my wife loves her, her restaurant and her accomplishments.)

Back to the review. We have dined at Sociale on weekends and week nights. We have never been disappointed with the food or the service. This last trip was no different. We took members of my wife’s family who had not taken our advice preciously to try the place. They were, it appeared, suitably impressed. At least, there was nothing left on their plates when the server removed them.

The only item(s) I would not recommend on the menu is (are) an item(s) containing ingredients one does not like or to which one is allergic. Everything we have tried there has been great, including one item we ordered without realizing it contained raw lamb. If I had known, I would not have ordered it, but after the fact was glad I did.

Sociale is off the beaten path on Sacramento Street. It is located down small alleyway, and one wonders if they are headed for the right place. I can assure you it is the right place, at least based on our experiences. The food is always well prepared and beautifully presented. I would also suggest trying at least one dessert. The Chocolate Oblivion Cake and Sfingi are worth trying, even if one’s eyes were a little bigger than their stomach when it came to entrees.

1  Thank JacksonSE
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had lunch today at Sociale.
A haughty host did little to make us feel welcome.
Okay decor, good service, music too loud (why do restaurants think they have to entertain!).
The food was okay/good, nothing special.
An extensive wine list, but so outrageously expensive we ordered beer.
I'm sure there are better dining experiences in SF for the same, or less money. Chez Maman is one.
FM

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Sociale is a neighborhood gem. Have been there 5-6 times before with my wife and always enjoyed it. Last night the food was particicularly good - three appetizers and the pappardelle + duck and cornish game hen were well prepared and expremely tasty too. Wine staff were also very helpful in guiding us to a delicious italian wine (Le Berne).

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We met some good friends there for dinner. They had to explain that it was at the end of a short alley off the street, and not so obvious to find... but it was worth it.

Quiet atmosphere, prompt/courteous service; ever-present but not intrusive. We were able to enjoy our meal without feeling rushed.

The food was innovative and very well prepared. Everyone's meal was special and outstanding. Prepared properly and very tastefully.

A real find!!!