“Dissapointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Neighbourhood: SoMa
New York City, New York
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I are long time fans of Martin Yan having watched all his PBS shows and having cooked many recipes from his books.All have been terrific. We frequent numerous Asian and Chinese restaurants, and shop in Asian supermarkets at a major metropolitan region. We had high hopes for this restaurant. I for one did not like the mall setting.Not being a fan of malls in general I found the large opening to the mall to be loud and annoying. Service was slow and not knowledgeable. We had the lobster with scissor cut noodles (on celebration of lobster menu, not on regular menu). Lobster was well cooked, and served in a tomato base sauce which overpowered the other flavors. Also had Sichuan Green Beans, was expecting some heat but the dish was bland. Waitress could also have advised us that the lobster dish contained lots of green beans, so we could have ordered a different vegetable. Ordered the Crispy Roast Chicken because they were out of duck. How can you be out of duck on an average weeknight. The chicken was dry and tasteless. The salt plum seasoning was salty and only added a powdery texture without much flavor. Had a Buddha Breeze cocktail a little sweet nothing special, ordered a second one only took about 20 minutes to arrive. Small tables servers were piling some of our plates on the girders between tables. All in all a shoddy performance. Given Mr. Yan's history as a chef, cookbook author etc we expected a mind blowing experience and instead were treated to a less then mediocre dinner.

Visited August 2014
Carol C, Guest Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hi Travelrads,
I am so sorry about the missteps with service. You are absolutely right that the server should have informed you about the green beans in the Lobster Scissor Cut Noodles. I have already forwarded your feedback to Craig Berold, General Manager who is following up with our staff. I am so sorry that we were out of the Peking Roast Duck, unfortunately it is one of our most popular dishes and we do sell more than 30 a day. I did check on the salt plum seasoning that comes with our Crispy Roast Chicken and did find the texture less than optimal and our Executive Chef has been made aware of it. I can tell you that the last thing that Martin would want is for a guest to have a disappointing experience. You did not mention if you told the server about the problems so that they could have had a Manager try to fix it. Can we speak on the phone so I can get more details? You can email me, carol@tastemychina.com. I can understand if you would prefer not to respond, but I do hope you will. Regardless, thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.

Jackson, Wyoming, United States
“Walking into the restaurant I went: ‘Wow!’”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Martin Yan restaurant right in town! Walking into the restaurant I went: ‘Wow!’

Just the décor and set up of the restaurant is a treat to begin the evening. I love the open concept of the kitchen stretching the entire back wall of the premises. The center section is where all the wok cooking action going on with a glass screens dividing the dining area. I stood there for a while just to watch the chef toss the food skillfully in the wok and creating 3 feet high of hot flames! Expanding to the both ends was the long open counter where the major food preparation, plating and quality check were going on. Very impressive! The food better be good, I thought. :D

Between my husband and I we ordered 3 appetizers to begin the meal. The Shanghai Xiao Long Bao (steam dumplings) was a good start to the evening. It was a great idea that the dumpling was served in individual spoon. As I picked up the dumpling from the top with the chopsticks, the pork fillings and the broth in the dumpling fell off from the bottom of the wrapper onto the spoon!
It works perfectly well for me as a low carber to enjoy the dumpling content from the spoon and discard the starch wrappers. The meat filling and the broth were both very tender and flavorful. Wonderful! I could eat a whole basket all by myself!

The next item was wonton soup. Personally I was not much into this wonton soup. For my low carb eating lifestyle, I prefer an aromatic clear broth rather than a starchy broth that comes with it, also if the wonton could be wrapped with a thinner wrapper. So we shifted our focus to enjoy the super tasty deep fried tofu. It was soft in the center, lightly crisp on the outside sprinkled with a spicy salty spice, topped with bits of red pepper and spring onion. It was delicious!
With this good treats, we continue to order our main entrees. The work fry lamb with ginger and spring onion was very flavorful! And the steamed Sea Bass slices with Chinese wine, ginger and mushroom reminds me of the steamed fish my parents used to cook for me during the Singapore days.

It was such a wonderful dinner experience that on the last evening of my food tasting tour, I have to come back to this restaurant again to try the lobster. Needless to say it was good and the photo of the lobster I took impresses all my fans on Facebook.

This restaurant is certainly in my keeping list!

Hi Kelly,
I'm so happy that you enjoyed your dining experience and I can't thank you enough on behalf of the entire team for your review. Thank you for posting the picture of your lobster on your Facebook! Should your travels bring you back to San Francisco, we look forward to seeing you again!
Miami, Florida
“This was a good pick, in a mall no less!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this restaurant. We found it based on reviews on open table. The food was delicious, the service was great and the ambience and other diners was fabulous. You would think that a restaurant situated in a mall would be so-so but this was definitely not the case here. All the food was delicious and they even had a man who made noodles do a show throughout the restaurant. If you're looking for a clean place with good chinese food this is a sure stop. Not cheap but really good!

Visited August 2014
Hi Lisa B,
I'm so happy that you found our food delicious and that our service was great. I'm so glad that you found us during your visit to San Francisco. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and should your travels bring you back to San Francisco, we hope to see you again!
San Francisco, California
“Generally Delicious Chinese Food, though Some Disappointments”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Five of us went for lunch. Very attractive restaurant, with open kitchen so you can see the cooks make the meals, including the noodles. Most of the food was delicious, though there were a few disappointments:

Spicy Seafood in Spinach Dumplings - very good
Chicken feet - some of the best I've had. Not rubbery, and very good sauce
Mu Shu Pork Tacos with wild boar - very delicious, though basically mu shu pork in a soft taco.
Stir-Fried Lobster with Hoisin Vermicelli - amazing! The sauce on the noodles was great. The shells were already cracked so you could get at the meet with the small forks they gave you. It came with another plate of a few large dumpy pasta that we couldn't figure out why it came with the rest of the dish
Crispy Roasted Chicken - good flavors, though a little dry.
Venison Chow Fun - disappointing. Venison was overcooked. Noodles were very bland. Adding some of the Chinese salt and pepper from the Roasted Chicken made the noodles more palatable.
Shrimp Fried Rice - admittedly we asked for the Pork and Shrimp Fried Rice and asked them to hold the Pork, but from what I could see, they held the Shrimp also.
Garlic Pea Shoots - very good.

Service was very good. Wine list is reasonably priced (in ranges of $30, $40, and $50 per bottle) and contains some nice selections to go with Chinese food. Most of the offerings also are available by the glass, which is very nice.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Carol C, Guest Relations Manager at M. Y. China, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hi Cary,
I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the Spicy Seafood Dumplings, the Lobster and especially the Chicken Feet. Thank you so much for the notes on the Crispy Roast Chicken, Venison Chow Fun and Shrimp Fried Rice which I have already shared with our team. But mostly, thank you for mentioning our wine list which was curated to especially compliment our food. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review and for dining with us.
all the best,
Palo Alto, California
“What lunch out is meant to be...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My definition of good service is: it is unobtrusive, polite, anticipates your needs and the server knows the menu. The service here can only be described as outstanding. Our group of 10 women left well fed and happy and a bit lighter in the pocketbook. The food was delivered promptly, portion sizes were as described by our waitress and everything was delicious. Although we had several other dishes, we especially enjoyed the bang-bang chicken, the green beans, the wok-seared beef filet and the mushu pork tacos. Each dish had distinctive flavors and textures. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe them! We also had dessert. The sugar egg puffs with cream and raspberry and chocolate sauces were yummy.

On my wish list for MY China would be a reorganization of the menu. The various categories were a little confusing. Look at all the options before deciding on your order. Don't just think dim sum because it's lunch time. Better yet, ask the very knowledgeable wait staff.

Hi Motile,
I am delighted to hear that your entire group had a great dining experience. Thank you so much for your feedback about the menu, we will definitely take it into consideration. I'm so happy that you enjoyed the Bang Bang Chicken Wings, Sichuan Green Beans and especially the Sugar Egg Puffs, one of my favorites! Thank you so much for your compliments to our staff and for taking the time to post your review!