“Best beef in town!”
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 5,839 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Had pre booked a table from England to ensure we could get a reservation and good job we had , as on Monday night it was packed with people waiting!
Not a disappointment, great service, bustling atmosphere and fantastic beef cooked as other reviews have already said in 5 different ways.
Spinach was a touch spicy and spoilt the amazing taste of the beef, and the lighting was a little low which made it difficult to see exactly what was on your plate! But minor inconveniences for a most memorable evening and wonderful food.

Having been to Ruth Chris' in Boston and Chicago we would definitely recommend this one along with that too.

1  Thank JJJG2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,455)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

House of Prime Rib is a must if you are in San Francisco! I made reservations to this restaurant MONTHS in advance. We stayed in Union Square, so the cab ride was fairly cheap ~$5 each way. Upon arrival, you have to wait to be seated. There is no waiting space for this. You can either stand along the walls, or sit in the very very very small seating area by the front door. Seating in the restaurant does not get any better. We had reservations at 7pm on a Monday night. The restaurant was PACKED. I had imagined a peaceful, romantic setting but ended up sitting at a table pushed against the wall amongst other tables very closely set-up to each other. The setting was not very romantic at all. To me, the ambiance seemed similar to that of a busy Sunday morning at Dim Sum with your family (with better dressed servers and decorations of course). Now, the food. . Can I just say AMAZING! You get choices of the cut size. I went with city, my better half went with king. City cut is perfect if you are not a big eater. You are served with salad first, and then the cart comes around to cut your meat. You also get to choose your sides. Meat is super tender and so delicious. I don't even like red meat! Overall, the food here outbeats all the cons. I would definitely come here again. It really is worth your money. . I promise!

1  Thank Bridgitte N
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stopped in on a Monday night without a reservation for some roast beef from the cart. Ended up with a seat at the bar to avoid the 90 minute wait for a table at 7:00. The dinner consists of salad, which was decent-sized but only fair since it did not taste fresh. The beets in the salad seemed canned. The beef is served in a small portion (City Cut), the English Cut (sliced thin), a regular cut, or the Henry the Eighth cut which gives you a rib. You get potato (mashed or baked) and good creamed spinach. The beef tasted good, served at proper done-ness. Good sized portion. That's all there was. We passed on dessert. If you want a safe bet with little to fret over on the menu, in a crowded setting, this is fine. It's Lawry's in San Francisco.

1  Thank Wbf2013
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This place was not just a meal - it was an experience! Easily the best steak I've ever eaten and the service was outstanding. Very highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Going to the House of Prime Rib is like stepping back in time to the old fashioned steak and chop houses. It was a mere 15-minute walk from my hotel, and I noticed the classic features of a restaurant with a separate bar area. I received superb service from Cara and Chef Christian. For under $40, the consumer gets a 12-ounce prime rib (although Chef Christain whispered to me: "shh, don't tell anyone"; indicating he gave me an extra large portion). Also included: a beet-infused salad w/house vinagarette, baked or mashed potato, creamed spinach (which was mediocre), Yorkshire pudding, and corn bread. I brought half of my meal home! The prime rib was cooked so perfectly, that I did not need any horseradish, just the au jus sauce. Go to the House of Prime Rib. You will not be disappointed.

4  Thank Barry S