“My first choice for Italian food in San Francisco”

Ristorante Franchino
Ranked #91 of 5,800 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Italian, Japanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Tiny restaurant, but excellent family atmosphere. I always take out of town friends here for a taste of the best Italian food.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I grew up in " mom-and-pop" businesses, so my love/sympathy/respect for restaurants like Franchinos is just naturally high. This is a true family business: Papa Franchino greets you at the door, Mamma Josephine oversees the menu, and their daughters provide the excellent service. The place is tiny and cozy for those romantic tete-a-tetes; if you dine solo, many tables look out onto the fascinating parade of people on Columbus. Too, the atmosphere is friendly enough that conversations among strangers just naturally occur (I once shared my minestrone with a curious stranger at the next table). The food, including Josephine's homemade minestrone, is uniformly wonderful and quite filling. I always save room, though, for Mamma J's panne cotta--it is the absolute best! Once, on a slow night, Mamma J sat with me and we talked food for a long time--it was like my own personal Food Network show. There are many very fine Italian joints along Columbus; I've tried most of them. But because of its charm and family atmosphere, Franchino's is on my must-go list every time I am in SF.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

What looked like a true cute little restaurant, was deceiving. The past was swiming in sauce hard to understand because it was a carbonara, the house wine is pretty bad. No much selection on wine by the glass. The service was very nice, but if you are looking for good food this is not the place.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have no idea how anyone could ever not LOVE this restaurant. My husband and I were in San Francisco with my parents, and we're ALL Italian. We live in Texas, now, so we don't get quality Italian food very often at all unless we cook it ourselves. We found this restaurant after wandering around North Beach and are SO glad we did! The food was delicious, home-y, and plentiful -- comparable to the flavors of my grandma's food! The pasta was obviously home-made and the desserts were made in-house also. I know they stuff their own cannoli because I'm allergic to nuts and was bummed when I saw their cannoli had pistachios. They made us two without pistachios so we could try them, which is so above and beyond. The family was pleasant, had a great chat with my dad about the towns in Italy we're all from, and recommended beautiful wines without up-selling. Prices were reasonable, portions were perfect, and the menu was rich and varied enough to have something for everyone. It was packed both times we went and you can see why -- plus it's clear they have a group of regulars that they treat very well. LOVED. Will go back. Anyone giving a poor review is clearly used to Olive Garden Italian where the flavors are so over the top and the portions are so huge that there's no joy in eating and sharing a long, lovely meal.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Fairly small restaurant in Little Italy in San Francisco.
It is basic Italian fayre, nothing out of the ordinary, but pleasant enough.
It was busy on the evening we ate there.
The food was ok, seating is via a bench along one wall, with tables and seats coming off this.
Service was good in general.
It wasn't the special night out that an Italian in the UK would be, but was ok.