“Friendly Family-Run Restaurant”

Neighbourhood: Chinatown
San Francisco, California
“Friendly Family-Run Restaurant”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This restaurant is a great mom and pop place. I found it based on some good reviews on Yelp. It isn't very big so reservations are recommended. The entire family works in the restaurant and the father greets everyone enthusiastically by the door. All the food tastes homemade and delicious. We tried the bruschetta, gnocchi with pesto, veal parmesan and tiramisu, and enjoyed everything. It was a bit too much gnocchi for me to eat in one sitting so I would recommend sharing it or take some home.

Visited July 2014

Orlando, Florida
“Family-owned and operated ”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Great food in a small place. So many places in North Beach but this one is small and family run. The care and attention is awesome. My friend goes there every time he's in San Francisco and the owner takes the time to greet us by name. Had the Porcini ravioli - with a side of meatballs - delicious. Great food, family and atmosphere.

Alameda, California
“My first choice for Italian food in San Francisco”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Tiny restaurant, but excellent family atmosphere. I always take out of town friends here for a taste of the best Italian food.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Mom and Pop on Columbus”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I grew up in " mom-and-pop" businesses, so my love/sympathy/respect for restaurants like Franchinos is just naturally high. This is a true family business: Papa Franchino greets you at the door, Mamma Josephine oversees the menu, and their daughters provide the excellent service. The place is tiny and cozy for those romantic tete-a-tetes; if you dine solo, many tables look out onto the fascinating parade of people on Columbus. Too, the atmosphere is friendly enough that conversations among strangers just naturally occur (I once shared my minestrone with a curious stranger at the next table). The food, including Josephine's homemade minestrone, is uniformly wonderful and quite filling. I always save room, though, for Mamma J's panne cotta--it is the absolute best! Once, on a slow night, Mamma J sat with me and we talked food for a long time--it was like my own personal Food Network show. There are many very fine Italian joints along Columbus; I've tried most of them. But because of its charm and family atmosphere, Franchino's is on my must-go list every time I am in SF.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Find something else....”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What looked like a true cute little restaurant, was deceiving. The past was swiming in sauce hard to understand because it was a carbonara, the house wine is pretty bad. No much selection on wine by the glass. The service was very nice, but if you are looking for good food this is not the place.

• Visited June 2014