“The tradition of excellent food and service continues...”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #179 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Fresno, CA
“The tradition of excellent food and service continues...”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

First Bruno retired, then Michael retired. Sam now owns and runs the restaurant. The tradition of excellent food and service continues. Staff has remained constant, service is always exceptional. "Chifeleti de mia nona con sugo de carne al cumin" [pan-fried potato gnocchi in
a brown sirloin sauce laced with cumin] are a must! Menu varies depending on what is available fresh, with many basics. We have tried most of the menu, everything is very tasty, flavorful, beautifully presented. We eat here on every trip to San Francisco. Whether it is seafood, pasta, lamb or beef, all the food is beautiful. Prices very reasonable.

• Visited May 2012

northern Michigan
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We visited this restaurant hoping to experience novel Italian cuisine. The food was excellent overall. I had the cheese ravioli served in a butter sage sauce. Although the food was excellent, I was disappointed that there was nothing unique about it. I had been told that this restaurant served Italian food unique to the northern region of Italy with influences from many other countries. Honestly our food was no different that any other good Italian restaurant. Perhaps we did not sample their house specials. The server did not make any recommendations, nor were there any daily specials that might have steered us in another direction. The menu did not include any descriptions of the food that might have helped guide us to other cultural influences.

The service was slow, considering the caliber of the restaurant. It is a pet peeve of mine when other diners are seated AFTER us but yet served BEFORE us. And this happened with two tables that night. They were seated after us but yet received drinks and food before us. The delay was not of our making as we were always ready well in advance of the server helping us.

• Visited April 2012
Illinois
“Gluten Free Italian near Fisherman's Wharf”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Gluten free choices include a mixed green salad (nice portion in small for $6), scallops, risottos ($18), venison medallions ($27), fish of the day, etc. The salad was nice and mild. My seafood risotto was excellent,mussels best ever, scallops not overcooked and massive, could not imagine a better risotto. The atmosphere is neat, quaint, and more upscale tone. The wines start at $9 a glass. At 6pm is was not yet bustling. I would definitely come back for a quiet dinner with exceptional value. The place holds no more than 50 would be my guess. I'll be back

Left Coast
“Maybe the best in North Beach”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I did not know what to expect from Istrian food, but it is pretty close to Italian with what I consider a hint of Austrian, which makes sense when you see the city Albona on a map. What sets Albona apart is that on the walls are photos of Albona (the city) and inside the restaurant you look about and you could easily imagine you were dining in the city pictured on the walls. Everything is simple, elegant and its own perfection. There is nothing hip, fashionable or stylish about Albona, except that it is true classical style. The food and setting have remained true to their roots and are perfect. If I were taking Paris Hilton to dinner, I would take her somewhere else. If I were taking her great great grandfather Conrad to dinner in North Beach, this is where I would go. This place is about the timeless style and perfection of Frank Sinatra, not the cover of a current magazine. This may be my favorite place to dine in North Beach.

• Visited March 2012
San Luis Obispo, California
“The best in North Beach”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Albona is a fantastic restaurant in lower North Beach. It is in neighborhood not far from the wharf. The small dining room is very intimate and stylish. The food is incredible from the meat dishes to the unique Venetian cuisine. I would highly recommend it over your traditional North Beach eateries. Make reservations.

• Visited July 2011