“Missed This Jewel Last Trip - Glad We Made It This Time”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #186 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Irmo, South Carolina
“Missed This Jewel Last Trip - Glad We Made It This Time”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Last time my wife and I were in San Francisco (three years ago) we tried to eat at this small unassuming restaurant, but they were booked for the evening. However the owner was extremely gracious and booked a reservation at another establishment for us. I always remembered the hospitality that was shown to us that night, so this trip I made sure we reserved a table for Saturday night a couple of weeks in advance. I am glad I did for the restaurant is not very large and was filled on the Saturday that we were there. The restaurant features dishes from the Istrian Peninsula, an area on the Adriatic Sea, and is quite different from the usual Italian cuisine. My wife and I started our dinner with a large Insalata di rugola con pomi, prosuto e funghi con oio de tartufo (an arugula salad with granny smith apples, mushrooms & prosciutto in a white truffle vinaigrette.) Which was delicious and a blending of flavors I had not experienced before. For an entree I had the salmon in a light lemon, white wine, shallot and butter sauce served with sautéed, seasonal vegetables. Which I found to be wonderful. My wife was a bit more adventuresome and choose the Strudel con pasta fatta in casa (fresh pasta roll filled with slices of prosciutto & Lappi cheese; baked in a casserole
with toasted bread crumbs, béchamel, & tomato-cream sauce) and she was very pleased.
The restaurant is very intimate and the tables are very close together, so we struck up a conversation with the couple sitting next to us, who were running the Bay-to-Breakers road race the next morning. It made for a very enjoyable evening.
I might add, that Albona is an easy walk from any of the hotels at Fisherman's Warf, and is a great escape from the touristy crowds and over packed restaurants of that area. For others it is only around the corner from the terminus of the Mason St. Cable Car.

Phoenix AZ
“Worth the walk!”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

As others have stated: Unique and well worth taking the time to find this out of way establishment. Staff called the day before to confirm our reservation, when we arrive - called me by my first name, as if he already knew me! Great, personal service. The waiters all cared for all the tables (only 12 or so tables), even the chef(owner) came out to speak with guests.

Unique choices include Grandmas gnocchi - fabulous!, Rabbit with caramelized onions & juniper berries. Excellent dinner for a great value - what a find in SFO!

“You must try this!”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Looks unassuming from the outside but don't be fooled! So glad that we took a chance on their reviews from this website! while visiting from out of town we had a great romantic dinner!

massachusetts
“Unusual but delicious Italian food”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This restaurant is not a "hot" spot, but most definitely worth a visit for a delicous and unusual dinner. The waitstaff and chef were all very friendly and attentive on the night we visited when all tables were full. Most of us have never heard of tiny Itria, and although we have visited Northern Italy, as well as Austria and Germany we have never had such interesting combinations of foods before. I had the pork loin stuffed with sauerkraut, prosciutto, apples, and plums served with red cabbage sauté. Delicious! But not what most of us think of when we speak of Italian food. If you are looking for something different, Albona is a great choice.

1 Thank ladyweston
Blackwood, New Jersey
“Loved it”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

There were 4 in our party. We picked this restaurant based on other reviews and it lived up to rating. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food and service. I personally had linguini and meatballs and it was excellent. The restaurant is small with seating both inside and on the sidewalk. Service was also very good. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and will frequent again when visiting.

Visited May 2012