“Intimate setting with good food.”

Albona Ristorante Istriano
Reserve with OpenTable
Albona Ristorante Istriano is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 5,865 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood, Central European
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Reviewed 10 June 2014

While dining here, you feel as if you are apart of their family and they are cooking just for you. Every item we ordered tasted fresh and cooked with care. I ordered the Stinco de videl a la Triestina and if I went back, it was so good I probably would order it again. The Tiramisu could have had a little bit more flavor to it, but I think I still finished it.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

for good reason, the food, service and value are excellent. Delicious food. Off the beaten path. A must is pan-fried gnocchi which we always get. We have tried almost everything on the menu. Pork Loin stuffed is delicious and filling. Veal shank incredible. Adriatic Stew is full of seafood. Reasonable corkage fee. You can walk-in, but suggest a reservation.

1  Thank FoodCritic89
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Based on the tripadvisor rating we thought this was worth a visit. The decor was 'traditional', with slightly close seating which added 'atmosphere'. The menu is an unusual mixture of northern italian, croat and austrian (reflecting past cultural influences). Food presentation was equally 'traditional' (ie rustic) with an emphasis on quantity rather than quality or finesse. The veal shanks were singularly lacking in flavour without even the lift that a little salt can provide ! The wine list was adequate with the Puglian primitivo offering reasonable value for money. Service was ok although a couple of the staff were not particularly able to provide information about the food or wine.
Noting previous reviews, perhaps we struck an 'off' night or have too high expectations, however if your serious about food and wine there are probably better places in SF.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited this place tonight with two friends and the overall experience was superb. The service was exceptional without being intrusive and the food was amazing.

I started with the pears and gorgonzola - a great combination and delicious. The seafood stew was one of the best seafood courses I have eaten. All this and just $270 plus a tip and including two bottles of wine! Thanks Sam and your staff for a great evening.

3  Thank Middletonmagic
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Found Albona through Trip Advisor and glad I did! What a great meal my wife and I had. Sam, the owner, greeted us with complimentary Prosecco and a warm personality. The entire staff was attentive and professional. The meal was exceptional as we ordered Sam's recommendations. The mushroom risotto and seafood linguini were excellent. Stay away from the Wharf - come see Sam at Albona.