“a very good and not expensive resturant”

Henry's Hunan Restaurant
Ranked #873 of 5,712 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Jerusalem, Israel
“a very good and not expensive resturant”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

The atmosphere and the food is just excellent. The food had enough spice to make it tasty and fried to perfection. I didn't try the bacon for myself' since it's not kosher, but all in the menu that we ordered was very tasty. The atmosphere was real good, and it seemed to be an old resturant, but very kept. The service was quite good

• Visited October 2012

Sacramento CA Area
“Diana's Special Appetizer is the only thing we got!”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Same as before, this is a repeat for us since last year. The service, the atmosphere, and the food is just excellent. Enough spice to make it tasty and fried to perfection. The flour tortilla is fried then the ground beef is placed with lettuce between the tortillas and served hot. It is really a unique item. Someone else ordered the sweet and sour chicken and said it was quite good. We all agreed that the Diana's Special Appetizer was still the best.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank bw13802
Austin, Texas
“Still there after all these years!”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I used to eat here when I was travelling up to San Francisco for work from Los Angeles about 25 years ago. The restaurant was a great find and I remember there being a "We Use No MSG" vinyl banner. After a while this became a neon sign.

Recently my wife and I were visiting San Francisco from Austin, Texas where we now live - the restaurant is still in the same place and the sign is still there (although no plugged in).

These days we are on the vegan spectrum, but were still able to order a number of dishes. I asked for the eggplant without meat and they were happy to oblige. Tasted great as ever, although it is a bit oily.

Is it the best Chinese restaurant I've ever eaten at? Probably not, but the food is authentic,tasty and good value.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank gossamer78759
Alameda, CA
“Henry's Forever”
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Believe it or not I have been eating Henry's Hunan since the seventies. He had a small little restaurant near the Bank of America building, and if you arrived after 11:45 you had to wait because there was a line out the door. I highly recommend the following: Onion Cakes, Dumplings, Garlic Chicken, and the best Chinese dish I have ever eaten, Smoked Ham. The whole family is a fan. My brother used to fly into town take a cab to the restaurant, meet me for lunch, and then go back to the airport. The best Chinese food in the world

• Visited January 2013
San Francisco
“Worth A Drive into the City - Get the Spicy Rock Cod”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

If you like spicy chinese food, there is no other place more worthy of a pilgrimage. For many years this place has been dishing up phenomanl hunan style dishes.

Try Marty's special, Henry's special - but don't miss the spicy rock cod.

For those of you who don't enjoy the heat, they can tone it down some.

This is one of my all time favorites - and would encourage you to give it a try. They have two locations (Main one on: Natoma near Second/Mission + Sacramento (near Kearny) + Sansome near Broadway)

• Visited December 2012