“Bring Cash and You WILL NOT find better Chinese food, PERIOD!”
Review of U-Lee - CLOSED

U-Lee
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
San Francisco
“Bring Cash and You WILL NOT find better Chinese food, PERIOD!”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We went to U-Lee this past Friday for dinner. Since we have been going to high end restaurants lately we wanted an inexpensive hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant with decent food. All I can say is “Oh my goodness!” I cannot say this is the best Chinese restaurant I have ever been to but I can say unequivocally that I have never had better Chinese food anywhere including Hong Kong and Mainland China.

This is a small restaurant with nice friendly servers and a huge menu. They even have chop suey which I rarely see on the west coast. They have the best and largest pot stickers I have ever eaten, terrific hot and sour soup which was light brownish instead of the traditional dark brown soup I am accustomed to and I would highly recommend the beef chow fun, lemon chicken and Chinese fried rice.

This place is absolutely amazing and in my view offered the best Chinese food at the best prices that I have ever had in San Francisco bar none. Note, this is a cash only restaurant but you will not need much of it.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank CHOCOOLATE

Arizona
“A true local Chinese restaurant”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We have now eaten in U-Lee on Hyde Street four or five times and never been disappointed. It is outside the tourist area and mainly caters to locals and take out. We had a large party of 8 and I had called a week earlier. While the woman said she noted it for the Friday night, she did not ask for a name or phone number. We got there at the appointed time and sure enough, they were all ready for us. We ordered five or six dishes and each dish was better than the last. All the vegetables were fresh and everything was cooked to perfection and brought out on time. It is not fancy but is a great find and a great deal. The only reservation we had were the dim sum. They were really too large.

• Visited June 2012
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
“Great food”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We ran across U-Lee while searching for nearby Chinese places and it was a great choice.

It's a small place no the corner, with only a few seats inside. While we were there it never filled up so I would expect it's generally pretty easy to come in and just find a seat. The server was really friendly and was ready to take our order without rushing us.

We went with a couple dishes and of course the famous pot stickers. The pot stickers did not disappoint and they are just HUGE. At some places we might get two orders, but here I was really glad we just got one. The pot stickers are really delicious and could easily be a great meal by themselves.

Our entrees were hot, fresh and delicious. Easily up there with the best of your local chinese joint, so you won't be disappointed by anything on the menu.

Overall everything was very good. Don't come expecting any amazing decor, but do come expecting some delicious pot stickers and chinese dishes.

• Visited May 2012
Innsbruck
“Small, cheap, simple, good food.”
Reviewed 30 October 2011

First afternoon at SF we looked for a not-so-expensive chinese restaurant. U-Lee is really a good choice if you like share small room with kitchen, sit on one of the few simple tables and enjoy really good chinese food. 2 Persons two main-dishes (more than enough) with rice and 2 beer about 30$ and all food organic and jummy. Excellent for what you get for your money. But maybe not the place you want to dine with your parents-in-law, well, depends on.

• Visited October 2011
Milano
“the best chinese dive in the city!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

For what it is, U-Lee was pretty freaking good. I mean this isn't your fancy, expensive Chinese food place, it's just a not-so-cute restaurant with amazing food. Best part was the food is totally fresh and organic, I usually see the man delivering the free range organic chicken and the vegetables. The Pot Stickers are on my A+++++ list, and I have tried them in more than 76 Chinese restaurants over the world, but no one makes them like U-Lee.
Please do not stop at the door, because the temptation is just that, rather imagine being at home and savor the amazingly fresh food. Another special dish I recommend is the onion ginger scallion beef, sincerely there are not many people in the world that know how to cook that dish so well. My family is a U-Lee customer since 1987 and probably will be for decades to come.

• Visited August 2011