“Worst service experience EVER!!!!”
Review of Jax Steak House - CLOSED

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Neighbourhood: Union Square
Neighbourhood: Union Square
San Diego
“Worst service experience EVER!!!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2007

This was a few years ago, but I had to share...

My mother and I had just flown into San Fransisco and gotten settled at our hotel. We asked for a recommendation fro a good steakhouse nearby and we were guided to this place.

Upon arriving, we waited at the door to be seated as the sign asked us to. Nobody came by and we just stood watching the cooks through the glass that is adjacent to the waiting area. Server after server passed by without asking if we needed to be seated and there wasn't a hostess in sight. Finally after about 15 minutes (really!) and 10 people waiting to be seated, the cook behind the glass came out and offered to seat us. At this point the hostess came up from the back of the restaurant and, reaking of cigarette smoke, sat us. We were very grateful and thirsty, but knowing she had 8 other people to seat, we did not ask her to get our drinks. We were told that our server woulf be right with us.

After ten minutes waiting for our server, and seeing that all the people seated after us were happily sipping on their beverages and even some getting their order taken, I wandered up to the hostess station to ask here our server was. She said that he was on a break and she would get another server to take our order. Ten minutes later, we finally were asked for our beverage orders froma young man that smelled like a tobacco factory. We also placed our food order. 5 minutes later, our IT and soda still had not come, so I got up, went to the beverage station and poured drinks for my mother and I.

About 10 minutes later the server came up with our drinks and apologized for it taking so long. I responded that we had already served ourselves, but to leave the ones he made so we wouldn't have to wait on him for second servings. 5 minutes after this, he came by to tell my mother that they were out of the cut of steak she had ordered. She asked for the steak that was one step up in quality, but to be charged for the price of the original steak that she had ordered, because she should have been told from teh beginning that they were out. He argued that he wouldn't do that and she asked to speak to the manager. The server said to never mind that he would just do what she wanted.

15 minutes later, and keep in mind my mother and I both ordered rare steaks, we were served our steaks. Mine was well-done, tough as shoe leather and lukewarm. My mother's was piping hot, but medium well. We sent both of them back and asked that they be redone. The server gave us a dirty look, but took our food back. After about 10 minutes, we finally got our steaks done the way we requested.

After that, the server disappeared, or I should say was invisible to us. He completely ignored us as he rushed by, never offered refills on our empty drinks, never asked how our food was... nothing. When the time came for us to get our bill, I was able to flag him down. He said he would be right back. After 10 minutes, and I don't think he was anywhere but int he back smoking a cigarette at this point, he still had not returned. I finally asked another server to please get our bill. She got it right away, when our server finally reappeared.

We asked him if he could send over the manager because we needed to speak with him/her regarding our service. THe server wanted to know why we were complaining. We told him that he was welcome to listen in while we spoke with the manager, but that he should know from his lack of service. He refused to send the manager so we asked another server to please get the manager. She said the manager was in tha backroom and could not be bothered, but we could write down our complaint and she would make sure he would get it.

I was never so livid in my life. Normally, I would never have expected to pay for a meal like this and I am sure that the manager would have comped us because of the poor service from beginning to end. So we wrote a note to explain our experience, and left our contact information at the hotel so that he could make things right. We also left the exact amount, down to the penny and a note to our server explaining that we intentionally did not leave a tip and the reason why. We expected to be contacted sometime the next day by the manager regarding our poor service. Instead we got crank calls from drunk people until we asked the hotel to hold all calls.

Needless to say that even 8 years later, we do not recommend this place nor would I ever go back, even if given a free meal.

5 Thank MissVassy