“Fabulous”

Neighbourhood: Financial District
San Ramon, California, United States
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Had a glass of Turkish wine and promised one day I would come back for a meal. Good promise. Lunch included lamb and beef skewers. Kunafeh dessert was delicious.

Visited September 2013

Calgary
“Amazing food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

I was looking for a restaurant that serves Kunafeh (dessert) during my visit to San Francisco. I found tis Turkish restaurant where we had lunch. We ordered Fattoush salad, babaghannoush, machka smoked paprika and Adana Kebab. All the dishes were tasty. We had Kunafeh for dessert and Turkish coffee. The staff were all friendly and our server Doruk, exceeded our expectations with his friendliness and preparedness to serve us and answer all our questions. We sat outdoors and enjoyed the pleasant atmosphere. I will definitely visit this restaurant whenever I am in San Francisco.

• Visited August 2013
new york
“charming and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

A charming wine bar with tasty small plates. Service was wonderful, especially from Jonathan, the wine steward. I would have liked a better beer selection, though...

Visited April 2013
San Francisco, California
“AUTHENTIC TURKISH RESTAURANT SHINES IN SAN FRANCISCO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

RESTAURANT REVIEW

Machka
584 Washington Street,
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 391-8228

By Carol Peterson

Having spent two weeks in Istanbul recently, I was delighted to hear that an upscale Turkish restaurant has opened in our neighborhood. Dropping by Machka, I had hopes that the food would be as scrumptious as the wonderful treats we had in Turkey. I was not disappointed.

Machka is an intimate restaurant with high stools around square tables. The best seats, however, are at the bar, where all the action takes place. We were able to watch the jovial cook, Jose Luis, work hard behind the bar, preparing one dish after another, making it all look like magic. The knowledgeable bar manager, Jonathon Sayous, poured us a glass of Gloria Ferrer Chardonnay, an excellent, fruity wine unavailable for purchase at public outlets.

On our second visit to Machka, we met the owner, Farshad Owji. Although he is not Turkish, his wife is. They lived in Turkey for 10 years and Farshad grew to love the food. He is fortunate to have his Turkish brother-in-law, Alnur Neval, as his attentive manager. Head chef, Reyonol Martinez, has worked at many outstanding restaurants and has known Farshad for 10 years. He was anxious to join the team. When I ask Farshad about picking the space, he laughed and said, “My law office is on the other side of this building, right down the alley,” which makes it easier for him to attend to both his practice and his restaurant. He has turned even a disadvantage of the space into a positive."The food lockers are very small, but that's one reason our ingredients are always fresh. We don't have anywhere to store large amounts of food.

The menu at Machka is small and enticing. Of the Mezes appetizers I found, three I thought wonderful. The Pistachio Crusted Goat Cheese, with caramelized onions, golden raisins and wild flower honey comes with toasted, slender bread slices. The cheese is creamy and the raisins and honey compliment the slight tartness of the cheese. I ordered the Golden and Red Beet Salad because I love beets, but I was surprised at how well prepared and delectable it was. The plate has a thin layer of feta cream, topped with small bed of arugula. Baby beets are layered with cucumbers, with a sprinkle of pistachios and drizzled with aromatic orange blossom vinaigrette: a unique dish. The Lamb Tartar was highly recommended but they wouldn’t serve it because they had to have a special argan oil, from Morocco not in stock that night. This oil, we were told, makes the dish. We did have it on our second visit and it was worth the wait. The small portion of very tasty tartar consists of lamb, fresh mint, grainy mustard, the famous argon oil and is served with tender green beans, covered in a creamy yogurt sauce. Most Mezes come with small pieces of bread, perfectly toasted

Those in search of an authentic Turkish salad, will want to try the Fattoush Salad. This is a combination of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, Turkish mixed olives, bell pepper, feta cheese and mint, with a light oil dressing. It's airy and fresh and just the way I remember this classic from Istanbul.

There is no way you can go to a Turkish restaurant without trying the kabobs. We tried quite a few, but the winner is the Adana Kebab. This is marinated ground beef and lamb, onions, garlic, parsley and served with Turkish herbed fries. The kabob is cooked over an open grill and is extremely tender and juicy.

Among the entrees the winner for us was the succulent Grilled Marinated Lamb Rack, served with sautéed spinach, feta potatoes gratin and whole grain mustard sauce. The presentation is beautiful, the meat cooked perfectly, the potatoes rich and buttery and the mustard sauce, pungent and tangy.

Of course we couldn’t leave the restaurant without dessert and had to try their very authentic Kunefe, shredded filo dough with orange blossom syrup poured over the top, accompanied by a small scoop of almond coconut ice cream. This is an extremely rich, sweet dish but exactly like the ones we had in Turkey.

Farhad told me when he decided to go into the restaurant business, he did so with the attitude he was “raising the bar,” and there would be no shortcuts in his restaurant. “If there is one bit of burn on the toast, it is thrown out“, he told me. “Nothing is to be comprised to make this a very successful restaurant.” I believe him and look forward to a gastronomic return to Turkey every time we eat at this intriguing new restaurant.

• Visited October 2012