“Really delicious food, and great service.”

Al-Masri Egyptian Restaurant
Ranked #1,771 of 5,825 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Egyptian
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Neighbourhood: The Richmond
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Loved it all. At 6 PM on a Friday it was empty but we did not mind that at all. By the time we left at around 7 PM, it was getting full. They are environmentally conscious and asked if we want water. We appreciated it a lot. We had the Eggplant Salad and Basa Fillet in Tamarind sauce. Then Baklava for desserts. Everything was simply perfect and delicious. Service was excellent as well. Yes we will go back.

3  Thank Purobi

Reviewed 24 September 2012

I can't say how authentic the food was. This is a small restaurant in a basically residential neighborhood in the Outer Richmond. The decor is nice and the food was tasty. A belly dancer appeared for maybe 15 minutes. The service was slow but that may be because everything was prepared to order and it is kind of a family run place.

4  Thank ftsien
Reviewed 28 June 2010

First, let me say that this is the best Egyptian food I have ever eaten...and the only. My wife likes adventurous dining so I picked this one because it was near the Palace of the Legion of Honor. We arrived at opening time--5:30. The waitress was stuck in traffic so the chef took care of us. She could not have been nicer and was very helpful and informative. My wife ordered an appetizer (Zabidi bil Toumb--cucumbers with yogurt) and liked it very much. Her entree, from the vegatarian selections (Fuul Midammis--a beans, tomatoes, and onion concoction), was not quite as good. I like my dinner (Samah Mashui--grilled fish) very much. We shared a pastry for dessert that was flavorful but very small. Overall, I would say the food was tasty and not unreasonably priced. The beverages were another matter. I had iced tea and my wife has a warm mint tea. The bar bill was $12!!. Perhaps they charged for refills and didn't tell us. I don't know.

When the bill arrived, it was a bit more than I expected, even with the somewhat outrageous bar tab, so I questioned it. I was told that a gratuity had already been added. I don't have any particular problem with that (though it is very unusual for a party of 2) and the amount added was entirely appropriate. However, there was nothing on the credit card slip that I was asked to sign that indicated such was the case and it was only because I was keeping rough track of things that I did not accidentally tip on top of the tip. I think this particular practice is inappropriate.

Alas. We were unable to stay for the belly dancing.

Reviewed 31 January 2010

Our school booked the restaurant for an evening as part of our trip to the city to visit the King Tut exhibit. Max, the aptly named host, provided us with a brief history lesson after we enjoyed a buffet-style dinner (worked well for our large group) of traditional foods. The eggplant dish in particular was outstanding. The dancer who performed for us had also danced for the opening of the Tut show at the DeYoung. The music continued into our evening as we were enticed on to the floor to dance with her, and also with Max, who performed as well. By the end of the evening, the warm, fun spirit had most of us participating and even the reluctant ones were enjoying it (although the rose martinis may have helped, too). I can't say what Al-Masri might be like on a typical night, but they accommodated our group of families very well.

Reviewed 21 January 2007

I can't tell you how much a fabulous time I had at Al Masri...it was such an amazing, delicious, and educational experience. After talking to Samar and Hatem during dinner, I had such a better appreciation for the experience and respect for the culture. It was nothing that I had expected...the hummus was the best I've ever had I'll tell you that...it's not thin or generic like the ones I've tried. The hummus I tried last night tasted so fresh and more fluffy? creamy? I'm not sure how to describe it. I had the filet mignon and my friend had the pacific sole...we loved it! You can tell (taste) that the meals were prepared with fine, quality ingredients. Samar and Hatem, who were very knowledgeable and proud of their culture, shared with us so much interesting information and history related to the food and the difference between their food and imitations of Egyptian food. The decor was beautiful...it adds to the whole experience. This place is no joke...come here if you're open-minded and willing to experience something new and to be educated. Oh and if you order Arabic coffee...have Samar tell you your fortune!