“Informative & Fun!”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Informative & Fun!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a super tour! And it is free! WHAT??? Yep, free! You go on a super tour that is packed with a healthy blend of sarcasm and seriousness. Then you get to sample the beer in the tasting room and visit with the workers, as well! I loved this setting. My favorite beer is the Porter, but I also enjoyed the Steam! Great job Anchor and good luck on your Pier Venture!!

Visited April 2014

Newport Beach, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Bit of Brewing History”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

There is a 6 month waiting list for the tour of this historic brewing company (around since 1849)... However, I was able to book a reservation along with my companions, by calling every Monday for a tour the following Monday hoping for a cancellation and finally got one. They do 2 tours a day, Mon-Fri (1 1/2 hours, includes a 6 pour tasting for over 21yoa guests). The tour is fascinating, as well as the history of steam brewed beer. Our tour guide was wonderful... and so informative. The freely fun part came when we had the tasting. Like many, I was familiar with the Anchor Steam Beer (Lagar, Liberty, etc..), but being a brown ale gal, I was very surpassed and pleased with the "Anchor Porter" and Anchor's "Brekle's Brown"... oh my goodness... they were both so smooth and so good! I could only imagine what a scoop of vanilla ice cream might be in the porter for a dessert sometime. Now I am on the hunt to find a place that serves the Brekle Brown on tap in my part of California. If I can't find it, I heard that they do ship. Several other guests were from Houston, as well as Columbus, and Miami. Just reserve your space for the tour in advance and plan your trip to San Francisco around this. I highly recommend, if you enjoy a good beer experience.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Fencegal
York, England
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Fantastic highlight of my stay in San Francisco”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

We booked several months in advance to get the date needed. Tours are limited to one per day and 30 persons.
The tour is free and ends with 8 beer samples totalling 2 pints.
The guide was extremely knowledgable and friendly.
This is the best brewery visit made in comparison to Heineken, Carlsberg, Guiness and even Black Sheep!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank ksg_7
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Worth the trip!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

First, book at least 3 - 5 days in advance; we were very lucky to get a tour the same day that our hotel's concierge called. It is a bit of a trek because it is located in a residential area on the outskirts of the city. We took a cab back and forth, so it was not problem. It was a great way to see parts of the city that we would not have. The tour runs about an hour and a half and is free. Our tour guide Jeramiah met us in an old fashioned bar area where the tours begin and end. He was informative and funny as he told us the history of the 1896 brewery. We then proceeded to follow him through the brewery where we saw both what went into making a great beer as well as the production stages. We concluded our tour back in the bar area so that we could sample the different Anchor Steam beers. Our samples were a generous 7 ounces, and we got to sample 7 different types of brews with the option to revisit a favorite. The only negative was that although they had souvenirs to purchase they did not have many in stock. Overall, the Anchor Steam crew were terrific hosts!

Visited June 2013