“Incredible Food and Service”
Review of Kushi Tsuru

Kushi Tsuru
Ranked #1,062 of 5,663 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Neighbourhood: Japantown
Captain Cook, Hawaii
“Incredible Food and Service”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The first night we ate there, we had a large group and the service was great! When the food came, it was incredible. I had the Japanese Style Fried Chicken and also Beef Teppan. Simply to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My food looked and tasted so good, the rest of the group I was with asked me what I ordered. The next night, our group went separate ways at night and my family went back to Kushi Tsuru and had our food "to go". The members of our group who asked what I ate, were all sitting inside the restaurant and eating the beef teppan!!!!!!
I order the shoyu ramen and beef teppan again the ramen was really good also!!!!!! The friendly lady who seats you remembered us from the night before and remembered what we ordered!!!!
You must eat here!!!!!

Visited July 2013

Denver, Colorado
“Decent Variety and Food”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I'll admit, I was a little anxious after sitting down at our table and reading some of the reviews on Foursquare. They were all over the place in both praise and complaints. After eating there, I can understand why. Service was frustrating. I don't know if it was a cultural thing, but getting our waitress to return to our table after the first time was not easy. Unfortunately, when she came over, we weren't ready to order yet as the menu was big and as most sushi places are different, in my experience you can't assume a roll you like at one place is the same ingredients even though it may have the same name. We sat for quite awhile ready to order and she never came back. Finally the owner noticed us, chided her and she came back. Our food came out at different times which has been common at some Asian places I've eaten, but made things difficult as there was a long gap and we were definitely eating very different rolls, not sharing. Would have been perfect for sharing though. One thing we did discover is order everything you want at the beginning as otherwise they will just bring you your check and not ask you if there's anything else. The food was good. While there may be better options (there are several places to choose from all right next to one another), I found the food and vegetarian options here to be pretty good and I would eat here again. We left full, and didn't completely break the bank which is always a concern at a sushi place.

• Visited April 2013
staten island, new york
“descent menu”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

i loved what i ordered! the dishes were freshly made upon order, the price was reasonable, but one thing i didn't like is the service. the waitress didn't even come back after she served our orders. i called for water and the person who was in the front trying to welcome and seat people was the one who refilled our water. i never saw the waitress after she served our meal until we left the restaurant. i still tip accordingly, but i believe they need some training on customer service!

• Visited August 2012
“Terrible sashimi. Decent agedashi tofu and gyoza”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We were in Japantown so I was excited to have some sushi. Wandered in to this restaurant. I was so excited. We ordered the agedashi tofu, gyoza, tempura udon, salmon teppan, avocado roll and salmon sashimi. The gyoza came first and was nice and crispy, I didn't like the filling though. Agedashi tofu was good. Salmon sashimi came and i couldn't believe it. It just looked wrong, pale, not shiny, dull, unappetizing before I even took a bite. I took the first bite and couldn't even finish the piece. It tasted fishy and like it had been in the freezer for ages. It was mushy and just absolutely gross. I didn't even finish that first piece and left the rest on the plate. I was extremely disappointed. I told the server that it just wasn't good and she took it, saying 'oh... it's not good...' walked away with it and that was that. The udon was meh, tempura was heavily battered. I was just so disappointed and it ruined the whole meal for me. Will never return or recommend. We are in San Fran for another day and a half, I really hope I can find some good sashimi by then!!!!

• Visited September 2012
Pasadena, CA
“Great Sashimi”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We were staying at the Hotel Kabuki next door and decided to try this place out. I was particularly interested in their Bento boxes. They did not disappoint. Most impressive was the high quality sashimi in each box. Large pieces and very fresh. Totally delicious. Service was good, attentive but not too attentive. We were sat in a sort of passageway between two larger eating areas and with the kitchen next to us, so it wasn't the best spot in the restaurant. But you go to a restaurant to eat and we certainly did that very well. And the total price was very inexpensive for two people with drinks, about $55.

• Visited August 2012