“Great stay, ignore the moaners!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #135 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great stay, ignore the moaners!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here in October 2013, not sure why people are complaining about this hotel! I found it to be very clean with very comfy beds and clean sheets. The whole hotel is quirky and at a great price compared to other hotels. The bathroom was slightly dated, but have you seen the pictures of some of the Union square hotels, even more dated and more expensive! Wasn’t a problem at all, everything functioned ok. You have to access the hotel via an intercom, but again I can’t see the problem with this? The door is opened within seconds and makes the place very secure.

The location is excellent, a 10 minute walk from the BART station, which is worth catching if you’re coming from the airport, only $8, with all the main shopping areas, china town and the hop on hop off bus nearby. The only thing that I'd say is, if you have a room in the centre of the building and its bin day, it can be noisy early in the morning. Staff are very helpful and the free breakfast of bagels and juice/coffee was a good idea.

I would definitely stay here again as it was convenient, cheap and funky. Two or three doors down from this hotel is an Irish pub which serves excellent food at good prices, worth a visit! If you are going to moan about this place, then go pay $500 and stay at the Hilton with no character!

5 Thank lilgreeny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Toronto, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

After 14 hours of flying, an in depth conversation with a US customs officer about why I hadn't bought my BART ticket or planned my transfer to the city and wheeling way to much luggage around SF I arrived at my Hotel four hours prior to book in. The staff were eager to accommodate me and showed me to my room straight away.
For the next seven days this Hotel was my hub. It was in a wonderful position with everything close at hand which allowed me to experience most of the well known districts. My room was a double, it had a bathroom off a lounge room with a sofa/lounge and the queen sized bed was in a separate room. I am a little arty so I thought the graffiti art work on the walls were amazing. Linen and the room in general was clean and refreshed daily with a cleaning service. I really liked also having the bar fridge for food and drink that I picked up from the shops near by.
Another great aspect of this place was the breakfast as long as you get in early while the coffee is still fresh! The bagels and jam with cream cheese and fresh fruit were a great complimentary service for the budget traveler.
I felt safe in this Hotel as I was traveling alone and the staff were always very friendly and gave advice on the best places to go and how to get there.
One thing that stuck out for me is that in my room I was able to open my windows. It's a real bug bear for me that I usually have to live with air conditioning in hotels. I much prefer fresh air and this place provided a flow of fresh air which was a real bonus.
I can't believe how lucky I was to pick this Hotel out not knowing much about it. I would recommend to anyone and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked having my own bathroom, I know they offer rooms with shared bathrooms though I was really gl...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Alex M
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hotel des Arts is a really simple hotel, we were looking for something cheap, well located, clean and that was what we got.

When we arrived we got the worst impression, reception is in the 1st floor, there is a very tight stair to 1st level and we didn´t see the elevator, but there is one in the back, so we got our luggage through this tiny stair. We never had been in an old hotel so we are not used to it, the carpet has a particular smell, but inside the room everything was all right and that was what matter for us.

We stayed for 1 week, staff is really friendly and Breakfast was a bagel and coffee, more than enough for me, coffee actually was really good, strong as Brazilian. As my husband doesn´t drink coffee and water tea was not hot enough to make the tea we bought some beverage bottles and let it on the mini fridge.

As we read some reviews on trip advisor we reserved a room out of the alley, but even though we were in room 302 facing a restaurant roof we could hear the noise from the garbage collector in the early morning and fans in the roof made noise until really late night, as we don´t have problems with noise that was ok, if you do I think that this hotel would make you crazy, every sound of the street could be heard from our room.

Overall we would stay there again if we were in the beginning of a trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn´t face the alley.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 04/10 until 12/10 in 2013. It's a great hotel in a fabulous location but be prepared to move rooms - as we did - if you find bites on your body and specks of blood on your sheets. This is a perennial problem with any sort of hotel and to the management's credit, they were mortified and said we should have alerted them straightaway and moved us without any bother in to a room without bugs.
I'd stay again and would recommended it to others with a few caveats...

L.A.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We booked Hotel des Arts in August for price and location but of course also because we were intrigued by the artwork rooms. We stayed in the 'Madonna' room for child appropriate art. Room atmosphere was very cool indeed, room was clean, bathroom needed updating. Hotel has artwork in the hallways, a charming narrow staircase and an old iron gate accordion elevator. This contributes to a unique atmosphere. Our room had its window out to a tiny courtyard which reflected all the noise coming from other rooms especially some partying youth above us. The front desk at least tried to get them to quiet down at 2am.
All together I'd recommend for people without kids that aren't bothered by some sub-par hotel features.

Room Tip: Look at the gallery of rooms on the hotel website and call the hotel to see what rooms are available...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

I booked the Hotel Des Arts for two reasons; location and price. San Francisco is an expensive city for hotels, and it is also a city where location is crucially important. The Des Arts is in an excellent location; right at the gate to Chinatown and close to both Union Square and the Financial District. Actually, the location could not be better. It's perfect. The price was also attractive, substantially less than other hotels in the surrounding area, and competing in price with lower-grade chain 'motels' in the Tenderloin district. All good in the price department.

I was buoyed by the excellent reviews that the hotel has received on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, I failed to see why this hotel attracts such enthusiasm. Aside from the location, I did not particularly enjoy my stay. This was mainly due to the standard of the room itself. The 'artwork'; not a bad idea, and it is certainly not unpleasant to stay in a unique and individually designed room, however I could not shake the feeling that this whole concept is merely a method by which to avoid renovation costs. This was particularly evident in the bathroom, where a splash of brightly-coloured paint was not enough to mask the dated and vaguely depressing suite.

Another significant downside was the lack of air conditioning. I know this is common in San Francisco, but it was extremely warm during the night, and I feel that paying more for a hotel with air-con would be a good decision. Leaving the window open was an option, but the noise from the neighbouring Irish pub's open-air seating area was excessive.

The breakfast was fine, nothing more or less than I expected and there was always plenty of it. Another positive point to mention is the cleanliness - the place is generally spotless. All in all, I wasn't particularly impressed with this place and probably wouldn't stay again - unless it's for a very short time, and is very cheap. An average hotel and an average experience.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor room to put some distance between you and the pub next door.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed 9/7/13 - 9/9/13 in room 204 and it was infested with bed bugs. I woke up with bite marks the first night and the second night I had multiple bites. I visably saw the adult bugs around the room. I made attempts to contact the hotel manager with my complaint, but as of now, I've yet to receive a return call. I could deal with the quirkiness of the hotel for a couple of nights, but with bed bugs for $200+ a night. No way!!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo