“Nice hotel. Forget if you can't cope with noise”
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #139 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel. Forget if you can't cope with noise”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed as a business traveller and was attracted by the relatively cheap rates and central location. As some other reviewers have commented this is a fairly basic hotel and I was fully prepared for this. The hotel, its staff and facilities I found to be quite acceptable. However, the level of noise in the hotel between approx. 06:00 and 22:00 Mon-Sat is frankly unacceptable. The cause - the neighbouring Brasserie has an extractor fan on their kitchen roof directly below many of the hotel rooms. While these things are never especially quiet, this particular fan seems to have some kind of malfunction - you can even hear it screaming one block away during heavy traffic! Luckily I had earplugs (which only slightly reduce the noise) and due to jetlag I was so exhausted I slept ok. However, if you are in any way noise sensitive or you plan to be in your room much between 06:00 and 22:00 you should seriously consider not staying here. Hotel des Arts - Please talk to your neighbours about the legality of that machinery on their roof! Certainly where I come from it would be illegal to make so much noise next to where people are living and sleeping!

Room Tip: As far away from the front part of the hotel as possible, preferably not overlooking the roof of the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ClubT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have stayed here at least a half a dozen times. It is my go to place (along with Union Square Hotel). First of all, comfortable beds are very important to my husband... And this hotel has his all-time-favorite beds. The location is great for access to the convension center, and has many great restaurants near by (walk down hill from the hotel about a block, and there is a cool alley of restaurants on the left...) close to China Town, and a nice walk to Union Square.
The elevator is small but absolutely classic! The art in the rooms and throughout the hallways are what really makes this place special. Staff is always friendly!

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have bathrooms... But I have never found this a problem. The ones near the room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Belgium
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We chose this hotel for its location and price. The room was very small, but clean. We had a problem with the toilet, we were offered another room for the night, but it was too close to another leaking toilet (very noisy). The assistant on duty told us we were being difficult... afterwords, we were asked not to flush toilet paper through the toilet, but to throw it in the bin. Yeah right...
Anyway, the location was great and the bed was really comfortable (it wasn't all bad :-) ), but don't expect too much from the breakfast. It's just a small room with some bagels and bread, cheese and jam. But it was enough to get you started for the day.

So, no, I won't be going back, but if you're traveling on a budget, why not... I wouldn't go with my kids, though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the elevator and the shared toilets as possible! The elevator is ext...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NathDC

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here in October 2013, not sure why people are complaining about this hotel! I found it to be very clean with very comfy beds and clean sheets. The whole hotel is quirky and at a great price compared to other hotels. The bathroom was slightly dated, but have you seen the pictures of some of the Union square hotels, even more dated and more expensive! Wasn’t a problem at all, everything functioned ok. You have to access the hotel via an intercom, but again I can’t see the problem with this? The door is opened within seconds and makes the place very secure.

The location is excellent, a 10 minute walk from the BART station, which is worth catching if you’re coming from the airport, only $8, with all the main shopping areas, china town and the hop on hop off bus nearby. The only thing that I'd say is, if you have a room in the centre of the building and its bin day, it can be noisy early in the morning. Staff are very helpful and the free breakfast of bagels and juice/coffee was a good idea.

I would definitely stay here again as it was convenient, cheap and funky. Two or three doors down from this hotel is an Irish pub which serves excellent food at good prices, worth a visit! If you are going to moan about this place, then go pay $500 and stay at the Hilton with no character!

5 Thank lilgreeny
Toronto, Australia
Reviewed 27 October 2013

After 14 hours of flying, an in depth conversation with a US customs officer about why I hadn't bought my BART ticket or planned my transfer to the city and wheeling way to much luggage around SF I arrived at my Hotel four hours prior to book in. The staff were eager to accommodate me and showed me to my room straight away.
For the next seven days this Hotel was my hub. It was in a wonderful position with everything close at hand which allowed me to experience most of the well known districts. My room was a double, it had a bathroom off a lounge room with a sofa/lounge and the queen sized bed was in a separate room. I am a little arty so I thought the graffiti art work on the walls were amazing. Linen and the room in general was clean and refreshed daily with a cleaning service. I really liked also having the bar fridge for food and drink that I picked up from the shops near by.
Another great aspect of this place was the breakfast as long as you get in early while the coffee is still fresh! The bagels and jam with cream cheese and fresh fruit were a great complimentary service for the budget traveler.
I felt safe in this Hotel as I was traveling alone and the staff were always very friendly and gave advice on the best places to go and how to get there.
One thing that stuck out for me is that in my room I was able to open my windows. It's a real bug bear for me that I usually have to live with air conditioning in hotels. I much prefer fresh air and this place provided a flow of fresh air which was a real bonus.
I can't believe how lucky I was to pick this Hotel out not knowing much about it. I would recommend to anyone and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked having my own bathroom, I know they offer rooms with shared bathrooms though I was really gl...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Alex M
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Hotel des Arts is a really simple hotel, we were looking for something cheap, well located, clean and that was what we got.

When we arrived we got the worst impression, reception is in the 1st floor, there is a very tight stair to 1st level and we didn´t see the elevator, but there is one in the back, so we got our luggage through this tiny stair. We never had been in an old hotel so we are not used to it, the carpet has a particular smell, but inside the room everything was all right and that was what matter for us.

We stayed for 1 week, staff is really friendly and Breakfast was a bagel and coffee, more than enough for me, coffee actually was really good, strong as Brazilian. As my husband doesn´t drink coffee and water tea was not hot enough to make the tea we bought some beverage bottles and let it on the mini fridge.

As we read some reviews on trip advisor we reserved a room out of the alley, but even though we were in room 302 facing a restaurant roof we could hear the noise from the garbage collector in the early morning and fans in the roof made noise until really late night, as we don´t have problems with noise that was ok, if you do I think that this hotel would make you crazy, every sound of the street could be heard from our room.

Overall we would stay there again if we were in the beginning of a trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn´t face the alley.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 04/10 until 12/10 in 2013. It's a great hotel in a fabulous location but be prepared to move rooms - as we did - if you find bites on your body and specks of blood on your sheets. This is a perennial problem with any sort of hotel and to the management's credit, they were mortified and said we should have alerted them straightaway and moved us without any bother in to a room without bugs.
I'd stay again and would recommended it to others with a few caveats...