“Incredibly affordable for Suites” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel des Arts
Ranked #133 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Incredibly affordable for Suites”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had $160ish rate for the suites! Good value for what you get for the room! I love the artsy theme, and how the staff was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was so-so (some simple toast, bagels, coffee, and tea). I brought 4 big baggages when I checked in, so it was kind of a problem when I have to bring the baggages through the eerie and old elevator. More like a hostel than a hotel, tbh. Location? Great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family and I stayed back in Decemeber and we had a great time. The hotel is very "San Franciscly" and we loved it. We loved the tiny stairs and the old elevator. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little noisy but after walking all day, you are juts too tired to care about it. They renewed and painted with "street art" the rooms. Some of them are very cool and some others I just didn't get… Clean and cozy.

Room Tip: you should ask for a room in second floor so quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mateo R
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel was perfect for a short visit to San Fran. It is in a fantastic location. I was worried from other reviews and from the price we paid that it might not be so good but it was really good! We paid hundreds less than anything else I saw but still a very nice, clean room. Very friendly staff. Everything we needed for our stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had the geisha room, which was spacious with a separate wardrobe for luggage and great art on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
West London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in April and I was really looking forward to it given the website photos. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment. We arrived on a hot hot day, but the room had no AC and the radiators on full blast. I liked the idea of the painted walls but in reality it was like a student’s bedroom. I thought it would be to a high standard but it's like somebody has stripped half the wall paper off, thought it's too much hard work and so just painted over to the top. We were in the room with a peacock on the wall, it has the worst bed I've ever encountered, it still has a hospital style sprung bed frame. The complimentary breakfast was equally as disappointing. It consisted of, pot of coffee, pot of orange juice, sliced bread, toaster, packets of jam. All served on paper plated to go with plastic cutlery and paper cups. It reminded me more of a trip to 1990 to Budapest. Either do it properly or don't bother.
Good location but that's it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EalingTravels

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Cheap yes! Budget hotel? No! It is a hostel. A hostel with private rooms! My partner and I arrived at check in to be told there was no sign of our booking and we had to wonder the streets until they 'figured it out' (we should have seen the red flag right there!!). After a couple hours we went back and the girl had found us a room and we checked in. When I got into the room and settled I decided to check my bank account only to discover the hotel had over charged me by $300 (we are traveling and this was part of our spending money). I went back down to reception and this time an Indian man with a British accent was working. He was the most rude, dismissive and unhelpful person I have ever came across!! He basically claimed it was standard fee hold in USA and I was dumb for not knowing this!! I then explained I have visited USA several times and at no point should the hotel fee plus an extra $300 without my authorisation be taken. He then claimed it wasn't his fault and it's the banks. I stood my ground and explained it wasn't my fault nor the banks but actually something the hotel has done. He reluctantly then looked into my booking to discover they had over charged me as they put my room rate in the system incorrect. I asked when the money would be released and he stated 'tomorrow'. Tomorrow came and Des Arts still had my $300 dollars extra! So once again I went down to reception and this time a girl was working. She had no idea what I was talking about and said the Indian man briefly mentioned something before running out at the end of his shift. I then had to re explain the whole situation! This time the girl stated i would have my money back on Monday as it was now the bank holiday weekend. This wasn't ideal as part of this was my spending money but there was nothing I could do but agree. Monday came and I checked my bank account. Surprise surprise hotel des arts still had my room fee plus the extra $300! Once again I went back down and the rude Indian man was working! I said to him that they still had my money to which he interrupted me and said 'look I have already dealt with this! It's not our fault! The bank obviously has a delay!!' At this point I was annoyed and I stated 'sorry it is your fault as my weekly stay was only $500 but you have taken over $800 from my account!' He then gave me a look of disgust and stated 'well maybe you should say that to the management'. At this point I realised I wasn't getting anywhere and decided to walk away!! I checked out a day early due to all the drama and eventually got my money back over 1 week after notifying them of the problem!! For this reason I would never stay again! They will over charge u and limit your spending funds you have to enjoy the city!! Ps. The location is good but the bathrooms are disgusting and the staff are so rude. Save your self and your trip the hassle and unhappiness and pay a little extra and you will be able to enjoy sf!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gio M
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Pro's first: location.

Everything else that was bad about the Des Arts (it doesn't deserve to be named hotel - because in hotels you actually get some sort of service). Let me start by saying I have stayed in Art Hotels before in other countries that have been sufficient considering the price. The Des Art initially lost our booking and told us to wander the streets for a few hours until they worked something out. THEN they overcharged our card by over $200 dollars by mistake. We are touring the US and ever dollar counts! The arrogance and blasé attitude of the Indian receptionist with his put-on British accent was unbelievable!

On being shown to our room, nobody told us where the bathroom was, or the toilets (as we didn't have ensuite).

Onto the rooms - we shared a bathroom which is not a problem! However the standard of cleanliness and hygiene was disgusting. I would expect shared bathrooms to be monitored regularly... Not here! In one if the toilets there is no sink, sanitizer, and toilet roll wasn't regularly replenished. The shower room/toilet had cracked tiles, grubby paintwork and a shower curtain that said 'crime scene' -- meant to be a joke?!

Our bedroom was poorly ventilated and the large windows just let the sun pour in and turn our room into a sauna. On a positive the room was made up every day, and the TV and fridge worked adequately.

Overall - I wouldn't recommend staying here. Any establishment that makes mistakes involving credit cards or money that belongs to you, and doesn't show any concern isn't worth it. I wouldn't be surprised if they regularly ran unauthorised sums of money through people's cards.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank G90_edin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed there for 1 night. Rooms are very small. In winter it was rather cold in the room, however they brought the heater that was noisy, but became warmer. The art is amazing, but the rooms and the bathrooms are much to be desired. Looks more like a hostel for adults :) overpriced.

• Stayed January 2014