“Great hotel in Downtown SF” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel des Arts

Hotel des Arts
Ranked #135 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great hotel in Downtown SF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had room no. 507 and stayed for 6 nights. The room was not as big as you may expect but absolutely clean and nicely decorated. Due to the location on the 5th floor with view to an inner courtyard it was pretty quiet and bright. The room had a flatscreen TV and ironing board and iron in a built in closet. There was also a hair dryer and small shampoo/soap/body lotion bottles were available in the bathroom which could need more shelves to place your cosmetics.
The breakfast room is located right behind the reception on the 2nd floor and there are a couple of stools where you can sit and enjoy coffee, bagels or toast, orange juice and apples or bananas. You're fee to take the breakfast to your room, as trays are available. The breakfast is not overwhelming but a good quick start into the day with a cup of coffee and a cream cheese bagel. There are also soda and snack machines availabe on the 3rd and 4th floor.
Staff is really friendly and helpful. The room was superclean and cleaned every day even with fresh sheets. The only problem on warmer days was that we couldn't open the window to the extend we needed to so the air was sometimes quite warm.
But all in all I can really recommend this place, charming and clean hotel for an unbeatable price in an Downtown location. Very close to Chinatown and Union Square, nice walk to Fisherman's Wharf.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are quieter and brighter!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ninusca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Room: the room was clean and a little small. The only real con is that it had no bathroom but this was less annoying than I anticipated.

Location: perfect location. Buses, trains, stores, coffee shops, tourists spots. All within walking distance.

Staff: terrible staff. Antisocial with a "it's no my problem attitude". We left a cellphone in our bed and went out for breakfast. When we came back, the phone was gone. We went to the front desk, told the person that the cleaning lady probably took the phone along with the sheets. No problem , just check the used sheet bin. He told us he couldn't help us, and that the staff had left for the day and we could only check that in the next day. Asked him to call the cleaning lady, he told us he didn't have the contact for the person. Asked for the manager, we were told she was on a month vacation. After a while he magically found someone's phone that, told him exactly whether the phone was.
We had a lesser problem at checkout with a different staff member, nothing big but she also had a terrible attitude.

All in all, if you don't have to handle the staff, it is a pretty good deal.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CBalbinot
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had $160ish rate for the suites! Good value for what you get for the room! I love the artsy theme, and how the staff was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was so-so (some simple toast, bagels, coffee, and tea). I brought 4 big baggages when I checked in, so it was kind of a problem when I have to bring the baggages through the eerie and old elevator. More like a hostel than a hotel, tbh. Location? Great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family and I stayed back in Decemeber and we had a great time. The hotel is very "San Franciscly" and we loved it. We loved the tiny stairs and the old elevator. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are a little noisy but after walking all day, you are juts too tired to care about it. They renewed and painted with "street art" the rooms. Some of them are very cool and some others I just didn't get… Clean and cozy.

Room Tip: you should ask for a room in second floor so quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mateo R
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel was perfect for a short visit to San Fran. It is in a fantastic location. I was worried from other reviews and from the price we paid that it might not be so good but it was really good! We paid hundreds less than anything else I saw but still a very nice, clean room. Very friendly staff. Everything we needed for our stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had the geisha room, which was spacious with a separate wardrobe for luggage and great art on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
West London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in April and I was really looking forward to it given the website photos. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment. We arrived on a hot hot day, but the room had no AC and the radiators on full blast. I liked the idea of the painted walls but in reality it was like a student’s bedroom. I thought it would be to a high standard but it's like somebody has stripped half the wall paper off, thought it's too much hard work and so just painted over to the top. We were in the room with a peacock on the wall, it has the worst bed I've ever encountered, it still has a hospital style sprung bed frame. The complimentary breakfast was equally as disappointing. It consisted of, pot of coffee, pot of orange juice, sliced bread, toaster, packets of jam. All served on paper plated to go with plastic cutlery and paper cups. It reminded me more of a trip to 1990 to Budapest. Either do it properly or don't bother.
Good location but that's it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EalingTravels

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Glasgow
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Cheap yes! Budget hotel? No! It is a hostel. A hostel with private rooms! My partner and I arrived at check in to be told there was no sign of our booking and we had to wonder the streets until they 'figured it out' (we should have seen the red flag right there!!). After a couple hours we went back and the girl had found us a room and we checked in. When I got into the room and settled I decided to check my bank account only to discover the hotel had over charged me by $300 (we are traveling and this was part of our spending money). I went back down to reception and this time an Indian man with a British accent was working. He was the most rude, dismissive and unhelpful person I have ever came across!! He basically claimed it was standard fee hold in USA and I was dumb for not knowing this!! I then explained I have visited USA several times and at no point should the hotel fee plus an extra $300 without my authorisation be taken. He then claimed it wasn't his fault and it's the banks. I stood my ground and explained it wasn't my fault nor the banks but actually something the hotel has done. He reluctantly then looked into my booking to discover they had over charged me as they put my room rate in the system incorrect. I asked when the money would be released and he stated 'tomorrow'. Tomorrow came and Des Arts still had my $300 dollars extra! So once again I went down to reception and this time a girl was working. She had no idea what I was talking about and said the Indian man briefly mentioned something before running out at the end of his shift. I then had to re explain the whole situation! This time the girl stated i would have my money back on Monday as it was now the bank holiday weekend. This wasn't ideal as part of this was my spending money but there was nothing I could do but agree. Monday came and I checked my bank account. Surprise surprise hotel des arts still had my room fee plus the extra $300! Once again I went back down and the rude Indian man was working! I said to him that they still had my money to which he interrupted me and said 'look I have already dealt with this! It's not our fault! The bank obviously has a delay!!' At this point I was annoyed and I stated 'sorry it is your fault as my weekly stay was only $500 but you have taken over $800 from my account!' He then gave me a look of disgust and stated 'well maybe you should say that to the management'. At this point I realised I wasn't getting anywhere and decided to walk away!! I checked out a day early due to all the drama and eventually got my money back over 1 week after notifying them of the problem!! For this reason I would never stay again! They will over charge u and limit your spending funds you have to enjoy the city!! Ps. The location is good but the bathrooms are disgusting and the staff are so rude. Save your self and your trip the hassle and unhappiness and pay a little extra and you will be able to enjoy sf!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple