“Henry the VIII???”

Neighbourhood: Union Square
Winchester, Kentucky
“Henry the VIII???”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Naming a restaurant "Henry the VIII Shabu Shabu" is a little like calling a place "O'Connor Spaghetti". I know, to each his/her own. My wife, the gourmet of Japanese food, said she would give this restaurant a 2.5 only. However, her mother was a dynamite cook - Yumiko is pretty great, too - and I think she's being a little harsh on them. Almost all the food is brought to the table uncooked (rice is the exception, of course) and swirled through a pan of piping hot water piece-by-piece until ready, usually thin sliced beef with various vegetables. Other (pre-cooked) food is often available for a price. As one may imagine, presentation means a lot when the food comes uncooked, but the reputation of a place is made on the quality of the two sauces. For my money, it was delicious and I'll give it a four. Split the difference between Yumiko and me (I?) and call it a three. Why not a four, you ask? It was small, narrow and crowded which means quite a bit to the handicapped...sorry, pardon me, my apologies, didn't mean to bump into you, m'am, ad nauseam.

• Visited September 2013