“A Family Restaurant That Makes You Feel at Home”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Neighbourhood: Mission District
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I have been eating at this restaurant, on the average of once or twice a week for as long as it's been open ( for fifteen years ) There is nothing on the menu that I haven't tried and the Carmen's Special is my creation. The food is outstanding. It's no surprise that this special restaurant won a Bay Guardian award for Best Thai Restaurant in a Place You'd Least Expect To Find One! Lunch time is crowded with hordes of San Francisco General Hospital staff descending so dinner is a better time to try it out for the first time.

Manivanh is definitely a family affair, with Nang at the stove, Sam chopping and helping with food preparation and, at various times, the four daughters, and their partners lending a hand. Their efforts results in a meal fit for a king...or queen....and every morsel is to be savored...Thai food at its best.

2-21-08 UPDATE This is still one of my favorite spots in the entire city - there are few other Thai restaurants I would even consider. I saw someone said it had no ambiance - but I think it is a pretty nice, peaceful spot in the midst of the Mission hustle and bustle, with wooden carved Thai scenes, the shiny brass bowls, and the wood paneled walls.
As for the staff, well, maybe because I've eaten there at least five hundred times ( maybe more ), they're like family to me - but I see them greet everyone warmly and, at least, half, by name. They are a truly bright spot after a hard day at the General...just thinking of them now makes me feel all warm inside!

April 2012 - the "Carmen's Special" is officially on the new menus!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Manivanh is a small, hole-in-the-wall type of restaurant with good food. They have a pretty good sized menu with delicious options for just about everyone. I came with a vegetarian, 4 kids and a rather picky adult eater, and no one had any issues finding something they loved. You get an ok amount of food for what you pay for....I wished for just a little more. The flavor made up for the amount because it was all pretty delicious. The service is nothing to write home about, but we got what we needed and were able to go home fairly quickly. I'd recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Motek23
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Its not your usual Thai restaurant because the family that run it is from Myanmar ( Burma) . The food is a wonderful blend of Burmese, Thai and Vietnamese all rolled into one. The tastes are remarkable with all the wonderful spices used like lemongrass and kafir lime leaves. Every dish is exceptional especially because they all taste wonderfully different.
Try the cold salads , every dish is worth another trip back.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I had the pleasure of visiting Manivanh twice during my stay in SF. We enjoyed it so much that we went back and we are glad to state that they are consistently good. My friend is vegetarian and there are a plethera of choices and the chef was flexible in preparing tofu for some other more meat-centered dishes that we wanted to try. They also are good about monitoring the heat in the dishes. Others at the table were less tolerant of chilies and were please with their meals as well. The service was attentive and helpful. Presentation, excellent! I liked everything except the pad thai. It was a little oily for me, but could have been that one dish, all others were excellent!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 24 December 2007

love the flavors, I know it's not the most authentic, but it tastes so good, I REALLY wish they delivered

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook