“Must be the best value hotel in the city”
Review of Hotel Mayflower

Hotel Mayflower
Ranked #20 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We just had two separate stays here on our recent west coast trip. Both visits were great. This is just the kind of hotel I like. If you want a glitzy bathroom with all the other big hotel trappings this is not for you. It's a little dated but clean and that's always the main thing for me. It's individual and the people were really friendly and helpful. There's free wifi throughout the hotel, although the signal was a bit patchy in our first room, and free use of the computers on the first floor with a printer for boarding passes etc.

The room itself had an ok rooftop view towards the downtown area and had flat screen tv with a comfy chair. Table and chairs for eating at and a desk for laptop use etc. Mini kitchen area with sink, fridge and microwave and cupboards with cutlery, wine glasses and crockery supplied if you want to eat in. Nice market next door for most food stuffs and plenty of local take out places within a block or so. Comfy queen bed - slept very well with no street noise even with the window open(room was on the 6th floor on the side of the hotel facing East I think).

Breakfast is help yourself buffet style and quite basic but really all you need. Cereal, juice, coffee and toast though no hot stuff. There was a microwave for heating oatmeal etc.

It's about a 10 min walk down the hill to Union Sq and a block from the cable car on Mason St.

We had a great stay at this charming hotel and will definitely stay here when back in San Francisco. It doesn't have a lot of the flash stuff of larger more modern places but it's just the job for a cheap and clean base from which to explore the city.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank justanothertourist
Write a ReviewReviews (1,165)

Reviewed 30 May 2012

This hotel is located near Union Square and Nobhill neighborhood. The location is perfect.
rooms are clean and comfortable. Large walk in closet, enough space in the room. All the facilities looked clean and the staff was always kind and willing to help you have a great time during your stay. It offers continental breakfast which is very complete: includes egg, juice, milk, coffee, bread, P&J, nutella, muffins, oatmeal, cookies, cheese, etc. Good food quality. It offers a garage for those who have a car which is very convenient specially in a city like SF where is very few space to park your car. I would definetly stay here again.

Room Tip: Bring your own hairdryier.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Xitlalli13
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Chose this hotel because other people in my travel group were staying here. No online reservation, no credit card required to hold reservation....seemed a bit risky but my fears were laid to rest quickly upon my arrival. I arrived at least 3 hours before official check in time but Nancy promptly checked me in as my room was ready. Hotel Mayflower does everything old school. They use old time check in paper registration cards & receipts books, no computers used during check in. Registration was quick and painless. Our entire party was checked into their rooms and ready for sightseeing within 20 minutes.

The hotel is a throw back to the first part of the last century. Victorian style I think, and its decor represents that with hand painted drawings on the walls.It's a small family owned hotel, approximately 18 rooms per floor, 6. The outside of the building isn't special, looks like any other old, brick building in a downtown location.

The run down:
Friendly, warm, smiling front desk staff eagerly willing to serve their patrons & offer SF advice
Free parking for small to midsize cars
Free continental breakfast that beats with almost every possible choice of breakfast item
Small, but clean & comfortable rooms with sufficient amenities
WiFi is available in all rooms but sporadic for some; I had to sit in corner by front door to connect
but my brother's room worked fine in back of hotel
Free computers with free printer on 1st floor for all guest to use
Microwave & mini fridge with small freezer section, a few dishes & silverware
Ice available at front desk only
Huge walk in closet + additional closet, dresser w/drawers, desk, chairs, clock, TV w/cable
Big, comfy bed with warm bedding, 4 pillows
Bathtub/shower with curtain, pedestal sink, toilet, medicine cabinet, color coordinated plush towels
Amenities include tissues, soap, shampoo, lotion, bath gel
Carpet in bedroom area & linoleum in entry/kitchen area & bathroom
Small grocery market next door is good for drinks, deli meats & a few microwave dinners; pricey

Negatives:
Downtown SF location with a lot of traffic noise that carries upwards to all floors
Neighborhood is mostly residential so you need to walk a few city blocks to get to food & sights
Cold - electric heater provided takes long time to heat room, possibly all night, but once heated OK
Parking Garage - small, tight spaces for smaller cars; exiting garage leaves no room for error!
Elevator is OLD SCHOOL with door and bar guard, but works; holds only 4 people at a time

I would stay here again if I had an extra blanket. The owners & staff were outstanding. I found them to be the nicest people to deal with in SF and in all of the northern California.areas we visited. They had advice for everything we wanted to do and places to go. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel, away from street to minimize the noise and sleeping quality...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank paradiseseeker2001
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just stayed at Hotel Mayflower for three nights over the Memorial Day weekend, and will be back again when I return to San Francisco. I paid just slightly over $90 a night for a single room including taxes and breakfast - unbeatable value for the city and its location. The hotel is a short five-min walk downhill to Union Square and the shops along Market St, within easy access of Chinatown, Pacific Heights (shopping and restaurants) and a few blocks from the cable car line that will take you to Fisherman's Wharf and the piers. The area around the hotel is mostly residential - there are a few interesting cafes and restaurants and there's a small store just next door (Mayflower Market) if you need to buy any essentials like bottled water etc.

Service was warm and friendly, I arrived just after noon but Nancy at the front desk checked me in even though I was there before the check-in time of 3pm. The room was clean and spacious - huge walk-in closet, small kitchenette with silverware if you get take-out, decent-sized bathroom. Yes the room does look a little dated but it was very clean, and I was used to it since I live in an old 1920s building back home!

Nancy was very helpful in giving me tips about public transport and where to avoid walking. The hotel is just north of the Tenderloin, and I was told to avoid passing through it on the way to Market St. The best way to return to the hotel is to take Powell St up before making a left on Bush. I travelled alone and I felt safe as a woman returning to the hotel every night.

The breakfast wasn't much to shout about, but it was good enough to get me started. There is no hot food - only scones, muffins, bread and boiled eggs. Still, can't complain with the rates!

Overall, would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank intransit111
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This hotel rocks , it is a little dated but very quaint and friendly . Computers with free printing and free breakfast . I would recommend it for anyone who doesn't need a brand new room .

Room Tip: got a room in the back per my request , quiet but a little dog barking across the alley
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank johnybwood
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I paid $92 incl tax for 1 night

Needed somewhere to stay for one night before getting on a cruise ship out of San Fran and chose this place as the reviews were pretty good.

The best way I could describe the service at check in was in-different - I was told breakfast ended at 9am (I slept through my alarm so didn't wake up until 9 and assumed that I had missed breakfast so didn't go down - at check-out I discovered on a Sunday breakfast is until 10am)

I arrived with 2 suitcases and an arm in a sling (due to elbow surgery just before trip and not being able to cancel trip) so asked for assistance to get my bags to my room. The guy at the desk seemed like I was making trouble asking for help. The lifts are small and when in the lift with my 2 suitcases and the man from front desk, we were squeezed in and my backpack was preventing the door from closing so the man from the front desk pushed my backpack, which pushed me and I nearly fell over which could have been a disaster, luckily I didn't. I got no sorry or anything.

Room was spacious, clean with a little kitchenette, bathroom small but had everything I needed and since I was traveling alone it was great for 1 person.

I was on 4th floor on side of building and I heard no noise from anywhere

At check out the 2 women at the front desk organised someone to get my suitcases from my room (no drama this time) and also someone to hail me a cab (quicker to hail then call and they were right) - had a cab in less than 5 mins

Even with the issues at check-in I would still stay here as location is great, rooms are basic but provide everything you need and the price is great (and apparently they provide breakfast LOL) - I just wouldn't stay here alone if I knew I needed assistance

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We liked this hotel. The entrance hall and seating area is lovely. Each room has a wall mural of a part of San Francisco, which was part of its charm. We stayed here twice in May and preferred the non-corner room as the extra window in a corner room meant more city noise for sleeping. However we hasten to add, that generally this was a quiet hotel for city noise and we slept reasonably well. There were walk-in closets in our rooms to stow suitcases and clothes, a big bonus. The bathroom was done in a deliberately dated style, which was quaint but could have done with a little more space to stow toilet bags (wash bags). There was a sink/microwave area in the main room that we used for this. There was no air conditioning, but it was not needed in May anyway, and the windows opened fully for ventilation.

Breakfast was served 7-9am on weekdays, (and until 10am on weekends) and was serve yourself style - boiled eggs, porridge (oatmeal) , coffee, cheese, cookies etc.

The lifts are old-style: with a cage door you open but the lift closes, much fun! Overall we were glad we stayed here - the reception staff were very helpful. Its a convenient and safe area to stay in.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple