“Adorable.”

Ranked #26 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Phoenix
“Adorable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

First of all, I review things for what they are. This is not the Ritz, let's just start there. If you are expecting immaculately clean walls, some grand cooked to order breakfast, and some 4 star room service, the Argonaut is a great choice at about 200 dollars per night extra.

This little slice of home is absolutely fantastic for what it is. It's really inexpensive, quaint, and full of personality.

My husband and I stayed for 2 days coming from Arizona. We got in at 2am, no problem. The guy at the check in counter was so nice, he was asking about our evening and stopped to say "I'm sure you guys are spent and want to lie down, I'll stop talking, here's your key." haha Cute. We were spent. We get in, check the place out. Tiny bathroom, cute little kitchen area with teacups and everything, and an oddly HUMONGOUS walk in closet. It was crazy big. Weird. The bed was not very comfortable. And it was a double, but that's what I asked for so no complaints here. I saw someone comment on how tiny the double bed was. Uhmmm... it's a double bed. They're small.

Anyways, we hit the sack, and got up the next morning bound for Haight street. The breakfast had a very surprisingly wide selection of food. We ate muffins, toast, skipped the hardboiled eggs, and I think my husband had a scone. There were 6 different kinds of tea, coffee, and OJ. I had the tea. It was delish. Back at the room, I needed an iron, called the front desk, and they had one for me! woohoo! The lady at the front desk told us the best way to get to our destination, and we were on our way. That night went on without a hitch. We popped in at about 10, got our stuff and back later on for the night.

Next morning, we used the absolutely adorable computer station on the 2nd floor. Then my husband used the computer and I sat and read one of their books from their bookshelf and sat on the comfy couch next to the computers overlooking the lobby. I was blown away by the cuteness of it all. Seriously.

Our whole stay was great, but then I lost my wallet! I was so bummed, they didn't call me back after a couple days. I called and they still hadn't found it. Someone had stayed in our room and they still hadn't found it. But then they FOUND IT!! The sweet lady at the front called to let me know, and she mailed it out! Yaaaaay!!

Bottom line is we love this place. We couldn't have had a better experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Keepmovingfwd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Montréal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

We are 5 and we stayed here for 8 nights. The hotel is very basic but it is clean, well located and breakfast is included in the already very reasonable rate. We got a family suite, which includes a bedroom with a queen bed and a living space with a second TV, 2 sinle beds and a roll-away - just perfect for the 3 kids, Mom and Dad. Breakfast is enough to get you going... Just perfect if you don't need anything but the very basic! A microwave and a small refrigerator I guess could get you out of trouble more than once, though we didn't use them. Definitely a good choice!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Gustavo V
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

This place is a gem: convenient location, comfortable rooms with windows that actually open, a surprisingly good breakfast, a beit of an old SF ambiance, and modest price. We couldn't imagine why anyone would need more. It reminded us a little of hotels we've stayed in while traveling in Europe.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
North Ogden, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Mayflower for 3 nights.... we loved it. The staff was fun and friendly and always helpful and available. The breakfast was more than enough... it was yummy. We loved the look and feel of the hotel... it was so perfect for San Francisco. It was perfectly located... we walked to China Town and Nob Hill and even down to The Wharf..... and we saw lots of things on the way. It was clean and we absolutely loved the old elevators. The price was great and they even have a small parking garage that we were able to use without any extra cost. We loved it!! I will always stay here when in San Francisco. We didn't want to leave.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracy M
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed at this lovely hotel for 3 nights with my kids. We had a family room, which had one queen bed and one very comfortable day bed, that could open up for a fourth sleeper if needed. The hotel was very charming, with a lovely restored lobby, a very comfortable mezzanine with internet stations, and a large breakfast room. Breakfast with its variety of choices and home-baked goodies was a treat. Our room was very large, with huge closets. The ceiling fan was a must, because the room got hot without it at night.

We enjoyed the old-fashioned elevator cage, and the warm welcome and assistance of the front desk staff. A market and laundromat are very close by, as well as 2 good pizza places for a quick bite (Uncle Vito's at Powell and Bush had great pasta!).

One day our room wasn't made up when we returned after being away all day, but the staff made an effort to correct that once we told them. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Watertown, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

I will add my voice to those who love this hotel. The location was great -- close to Powell, Union Square and Chinatown. (Best not to walk through the Tenderloin district on the way to and fro, though, so be aware of where that is.) The management knows how to do it right--clean rooms, excellent desk and room staff and a yummy breakfast every morning to start you off right. The breakfast room was always lively and the computer area was better than most internet cafes I've seen. The rooms were so quiet that we couldn't believe there were other people in the hotel most of the time!

The muni "F-line" from the bottom of Powell takes you between Fisherman's Wharf and the Castro in style. Buy the 3 or 7 day pass and you can take the cable car up the hill to the hotel in style! (Few people in line after 7pm.)

Room Tip: The view from room 616 was quite nice! It's a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robinzhere4u2c
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Even thou the mayflower is a bit outdated, it still is a Great Choice. Room was large enough for our our party of five (We got a suite). Price is OK. If you want to park on the Garage downstairs, don't bring a large car or truck. We could barely fit our rented Jeep Liberty in there by probably less than 2 inches in each side. Staff is excellent. Helpful and kind. Location is perfect. A few blocks from Chinatown.

Room Tip: The Suite will fit 5 in it's two rooms very comfortably.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family