“Perfected our trip to San Francisco”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We recently stayed at Hotel Vitale for a four day trip. It was our first time to San Francisco and I am so glad I ended up choosing this hotel over the many, many others that I researched. Super easy check-in and warm lavender towels were very much appreciated after 8+ hours of travel.

We stayed in a Deluxe Waterfront King room. The room was perfectly sized with an incredible view of the Ferry Building, the Embarcadero lined with palm trees, the Bay Bridge, and of course the water! The room was decorated with calming pictures and cool-colored/neutral theme. It was such a great place to come back and relax after a day of activities. The bed was comfortable, and plenty of pillow selections depending on how fluffy you prefer. A very nice television with a ton of channels. Slippers and robes are provided. As well as dry cleaning, iron, and shoe shining if needed. A beautiful modern bathroom with a rainforest shower head was the icing on the cake. Also, do not take the bath amenities for granted! They're from the brand Fresh, which is a high end (very expensive...) cosmetic line and are very luxurious. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bar soap, lotion, shower cap, Q-tips, nail file, cotton balls, and thread are all provided.

A complimentary turndown service with bottled water and chocolates is also available, so definitely opt for it when asked. The snacks that come in the room are awesome, but very pricey so we passed.

Valet parking is available for about $50 a night. It sounds expensive but is most definitely worth it as there are not very many alternative parking options and for convenience sake. The valet attendants are extremely friendly and kind, as with the rest of the staff from the front desk to room service to the housekeepers.

The location and ambiance of the hotel is what we loved the most. It's on the outskirts of the city so you're not smack dab in the middle of a lot of action, which we love but others may not. Even if you're traveling all the way across the city or to the airport, you're really not more than a 30 minute drive from them. However, it's located on the Embarcadero which can be a little noisy, but very bearable. The view, general location, and easy access to the Ferry Building make up for any noise.

There are only two things that I wish I'd done differently. The first being I wish I would have had the chance to check out the spa on the top floor of the hotel. Also, we ordered room service from Americano and were not impressed. Our pizza was burnt, and other appetizers were just okay and it's definitely overpriced. When we went downstairs later that evening to have dessert, three servers walked past us and not one acknowledged that we wanted to be seated. After five minutes of being ignored we decided to leave. We both agreed that the restaurant is definitely not up to par with the rest of the hotel, but I wouldn't hold it against the hotel and take away a star because of it.

We cannot wait to return to Hotel Vitale and will be recommending it to anyone traveling in the area!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Meatzy:
It is wonderful to hear that your overall experience at Hotel Vitale was relaxing and refreshing. We do our best to create an urban retreat in which our guests can enjoy all the city has to offer, then return to the hotel to recharge. I am sorry to hear that you Americano experience was not everything you had hoped for—we would love to have another chance to impress on your next visit. Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I can assist with making a reservation for you in Americano.

Melony Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I recently stayed at the Hotel Vitale for only 2 nights as part of a work offsite in the area. I hardly feel as if I got the whole experience as we were out from morning to night with business activities and really it was just a bed at night but I was still left very impressed.

The hotel location is fantastic if you want to be out of the downtown/Union Square area and closer to the water. Located steps away from the water and close to the Bay Bridge it is a great 'hub' for day/evening activities.

The hotel itself is very reminiscent of a boutique 'W Hotel' and is very modern, funky and smart. I suspect it attracts a lot of young dot com type crowds doing business in the area. That being said I appreciated there was non of the attitude of the W staff and everyone was extremely warm and welcoming.

The rooms are very nice and I had a room overlooking the Embarcadero and the Bay Bridge etc which was lovely..that was until I realised that the street cars, then the garbage collectors etc went all through the night! Thankfully the second night I was sufficiently tired to sleep through all of that. The room, bed, bathroom were all great and very well stocked with lots of great amenities throughout..hard to fault.

I managed to get to the gym one morning which was sparse but functional. I was the only one in there however I could imagine it being a bit of a squish if more then a handful of people were there at the same time.

One evening we had some drinks down in the main lobby bar and outside which was busy and lively, but still had great service and great cocktails.

Overall this was a great stay, and although brief I would definitely not hesitate to stay there again if I needed to be in the SF area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank FrankDrebin

FrankDrebin:
It is good to hear that you enjoyed our marvelous views of the bay and Embarcadero. It is such a convenient and bustling area, if only we were able to cut out all the street noise. If the gym did not meet your expectations, be sure to ask the front desk for a complimentary day pass to the Embarcadero YMCA that is only one block away. It has everything you could need, from an indoor pool to views of the Bay Bridge from the elliptical machines.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

My husband and I were fortunate to be given information regarding The Hotel Vitale. And now, we feel it is our turn to pass it along for other to benefit. Everything about The Hotel Vitale was terrific. We had a wonderful, quiet, very well-appointed and clean room. The bed and bath area were both pleasing and practical. The restaurant; the breakfast menu had a great variety and each of our selections was delicious. The staff was both friendly and helpful from check-in thru departure. The concierge was superb from start (when we were planning our trip/adventure) to end. We arranged to be picked up at the SF airport and had a wonderful surprise. Our driver was so informed and took us around on a tour of SF the next day for 6 hours. We got an amazing perspective on everything San Fran! Dinner reso went w/o a hitch. Suggestions were great. And our car rental for the remainder of our trip (the PCH/Hiway1) was incredibly smooth, without a hitch (thank goodness for the GPS). I should add that while everyone was extremely polite and helpful, Bonita J. of the Concierge went above and beyond from both her attitude and for assisting us along the way in our plans.
GREAT Hotel and GREAT Staff...highly recommend!!! (Did not use pool/spa facilities, BUT noticed that their lounge chaises were the same as we have by our pool...good choice!)

Room Tip: always, higher the better and away from elevator....definitely rule of the road~
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Jjavamama:
Isn’t it always so nice when a personal recommendation turns out even better than you expected? I am happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself at Hotel Vitale. Bonita, as well as the rest of the concierge team, is always more than happy to assist with logistics as well as offer personalized suggestions and thank you for recognizing her talent—we are very happy to have her on our team.. Airport pickup is very convenient and to have a driver that can also show you around the city is the perfect introduction to San Francisco, we look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to the Bay Area.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We travelled to SF from Ireland as part of our honeymoon and we absolutely loved Hotel Vitale. The staff were amazing and very welcoming, especially Brandon at front desk (who arranged for a bottle of Prosecco to be brought to our room) and John in Americano. The location is excellent as well and we found it very easy to get around SF with the cable car just outside the hotel. We had a superior waterview room which was excellent with great views of the Bay Bridge. It was great to use the Spa in the hotel and I would thoroughly recommend. We will definitley be back in SF and we will definitely stay at Vitale again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Im_a_happy_camper41:
Congratulations on your wedding! I am so glad that we were able to be a part of such a special occasion. We especially appreciate the individual recognition of our team members Brandon and John. All of our staff are key players in what makes staying Hotel Vitale such a special experience and we all look forward to welcoming you back to San Francisco on your next journey.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We got a really good deal on this hotel as we booked without knowing what room we would get and we were very pleased with the Superior King room we got. The room had everything we need, was tastefully furnished and very clean.

The staff were great, friendly and courteous and we had no complaints at all.

As for location it was really convenient. Less than 5 minutes walk to Embarcadero metro and right next to the sea.

The bar served very good cocktails and the food was also really good (as was the service). We also had breakfast delivered to the room by leaving the card on the back of our door when we went to bed.

The outside roof terrace was also great (that's where we enjoyed our cocktails).

We would definitely recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Clarejen31:

I am delighted to hear that you found our service and accommodations to your liking. Americano is always a delightful culinary experience, from the post-work specialty cocktails to morning room-service. We are just getting to the time of year where the weather is perfect to take advantage of the outside terraces. On your next visit, be sure to try of our spa’s Bathing Ritual—it is a great way to relax in our individual infinity soaking tubs, which are located in our rooftop garden.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed here with a friend while he worked. Great view of the bay bridge and an easy walk to the baseball park and resturants. I found the bed and pillow very comfortable.

However, the bathroom sink had a leak and only ran extra hot water ( a call for repair was answered immediately). I left a phone charger for my friend at the front desk, and they couldn't find it for 15 minutes while his clients waited. After checking out, the charge on my card wasn't reversed, as per my friend's instructions (a day later they took care of it).

Overall, I'm glad I stayed, but wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArtieDart

ArtieDart:
I’m glad you enjoyed our location, we are fortunate to be in an area with such stunning views and convenient access to food and entertainment. I apologize for the inconvenience of the bathroom sink and am pleased to hear that it was quickly remedied as well as correcting the charge. We would love to welcome you back, please let me know if you decide to return and I will be pleased to assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Vitale was a very nice surprise. For the rate that I got, I didn't expect something that was as stylish, contemporary and clean as it was. Nice toiletries and amenities, friendly & helpful staff. I received a complimentary upgrade to a room with a partial view and it was gorgeous. It is located right off the Embarcadero, so I found it convenient for my work and some after work socializing. All within a VERY short walk: Financial District, the Metro and BART, the water/piers, a Walgreen's, and excellent restaurants, As for room service, dinner was fairly good but I found breakfast to be a bit dull and uninteresting, despite trying several different options. While the room was otherwise SPOTLESS, I was surprised to find a bit of mildew "baked into" the grout connecting the shower to the tub. The shower/tub was otherwise clean, however.

Room Tip: I found my room to be extremely quiet and suspect that the others are as well. I even had a room ne...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Amy S
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Amy S:
Thank you for your review and we are glad you had time to enjoy the surrounding area. We take pride in our hand-picked location—both with the proximity to the bay as well as conveniences of the city. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your dinner from Americano and hope that you will try breakfast again on your next visit, as our menu is largely inspired by local products and does vary seasonally.