“A Great Combination of Relaxation and Activity”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #50 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 June 2013

In general I’m not a big fan of newer hotels with streamlined contemporary decor, but Hotel Vitale offered a very positive experience. I greatly enjoyed the decor and materials which emphasized nature and natural elements. The unique artwork (also nature-themed) throughout the hotel was eye-catching and refreshing. Altho’ our brief stay didn’t allow time to visit their spa (the rooftop garden soaking tubs sounded great), just being at the Vitale provided relaxation and peace.

Valet service (cost was $57 per night inc. tax) and the check-in process were quick and friendly. The small but very attractive, comfortable lobby area had a noteworthy “Bay Lights” art piece on display. The hotel’s restaurant, Americano, has a delightful lounge area. We had breakfast at the restaurant the next morning and I had the best omelet ever: Spinach, chives and smoked scamorza cheese!

We stayed in Room #357 having been upgraded from a “city view” room to a room with a partial view of the Bay Bridge--wonderful! The iconic Ferry Building was also an enjoyable sight thru our Bay windows (very appropriate name). That night we walked the short distance to Waterbar for a superb dinner, afterwards lingering to take in the “Bay Lights” display. Arriving back at Hotel Vitale we were able to continue our “Bay Lights” viewing thru our room’s windows--a special treat!

I was impressed by the hotel’s excellent soundproofing--we experienced no obtrusive noises from the adjacent room which was occupied by 3 people or from the outside. Amazing since the busy Embarcadero was right below.

Room size was a little less spacious than I had expected, but it had a well laid out floorplan and the group of large windows made it feel more expansive. Our King bed seemed almost too firm at first, but I felt great the next morning, having had a sound, comfortable sleep.

Amenities included: Free Wi-Fi, LCD flat panel TV, iPod player/dock, CD player, in-room safe, well-stocked honor/snack bar, daily newspaper, bathrobes and hairdryer. Hotel guests also get complimentary passes to the closeby YMCA which has a pool and fitness equipment.

Our bathroom had interesting limestone flooring and counter and a unique lighting feature. The countertop offered a decent amount of space. There was a shower only; no tub.

I did have some complaints: The bathroom sink faucet was placed too close to the basin's edge, allowing water to splash all over the counter. The shower stall needed the correct size curtain. Instead, it had a full-size curtain that was folded in half and didn't extend all the way across and wasn't long enough, resulting in water going out over the floor. Ventilation in the bathroom wasn’t adequate enough to prevent steam buildup from the shower. The windows in our room were quite spotted when we arrived, but the next day the window washers arrived; just a bit too late for us. Lighting in one of the bedside tables wasn't functional. Altho’ coffee was available in the lobby, it would also have been nice to have even a single-serve coffeemaker in the room.

All things considered, we had a very enjoyable stay at Hotel Vitale. With its fantastic view location on the Embarcadero across from the Ferry Building, it offers the perfect combination of relaxation and invigoration!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Forestvillian:
The philosophy of Hotel Vitale is “Luxury, Naturally” and it is so pleasing when guests appreciate the natural elements employed throughout of the hotel. It is even better that you were able to enjoy the bay views from your room—it is as if the sights are coming to you. Thank you for your comments regarding the bathroom and room issues, we do have an ongoing upgrade program and always appreciate feedback in order to direct our efforts. I am glad that you altogether enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to The City.

Melony Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (1,739)

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We spent 3 nights here at the start of June and head a really good experience. Staff were very helpful and engaging but, unlike many US hotels, not too gushing. The location, 50m from the Embarcadero, was ideal for us. It also places you within an easy walk of The Embarcadero Centre (with its shops), the financial district, numerous attractions (e.g. Alcatraz Cruises, Bay cruises, the tram ride start etc.). Rooms were ideal, a nice size and fully equipped and well decorated as well as being very clean. Breakfast was on the lobby level in Americano which doubles as a bar too. A good breakfast menu and efficiently served. We went to the bar on Friday evening after dinner and it was very busy and buzzing, seemingly a popular destination for Friday happy hour with workers from the Financial District. Lobby has a coffee service in the morning which serves very good coffee!

Room Tip: The fitness centre is on the second floor so if that's important to you then this floor makes it...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2013

Ian S:
We are fortunate at Hotel Vitale to be in an easily accessible area of the city, and it is great that you were able to take advantage of our location by walking to shops and sights. Americano is superb at all times of the day, but breakfast is one of my favorites—the house made granola is not to be skipped! Thank you for your wonderful review and I will be sure to pass along your comments to the rest of the team.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights on Business. The hotel is in a great location, the rooms have plenty of light due to the large glass windows and are decorated in light colours giving the room an airy and pleasant feel. My room was spacious and had everything I needed, I stayed in room 724 which had a great view of the Bay Bridge.

The breakfast was delicious, as was the one dinner I had as room service. The staff are all extremely helpful and welcoming.

There is also a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy great views, especially at night when the Bay Bridge is lit up. There's a spa too, although I did not try this out.

One brilliant thing about this hotel was that there was absolutely no noise disturbance at all. At night the room was completely silent, during the day you could barely hear anything outside either which was amazing given the location on a busy road right near the water front. The beds were also incredibly comfortable.

I would definitely recommend the Vitale, I can see why my colleagues recommended it and I will be doing the same!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Sn0z:
Thank you for your flattering review, the rest of the team will be thrilled when I share it with them. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our décor, one of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally” and we strive to make it evident in all aspects of the hotel. The rooftop terraces are a favorite—in addition to their views, Spa Vitale’s Bathing Ritual in our private bamboo terrace is relaxing way to enjoy the outdoor space. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Quaint boutique hotel in a great location. The staff at the hotel and the restaurant Americano were very friendly and attentive. I read in other reviews some have had issues with the street noise as well as the homeless and feeling safe walking around at night. I didn't experience any issues with noise or not feeling safe when out walking at night.

The only 2 very minor issues. We were put in a handicap accessible room. The bathroom wasn't as updated as a regular room. Also, there was not enough storage for clothing. My companion and I like to unpack when staying more than a night or two. That was not possible. There was one wardrobe with a drawer.

The valet staff was excellent! It is $50 a day for valet. Thought we would save by parking at a nearby parking garage, only to discover it closed at night. Please don't make our mistake. It was not easy to retrieve our car. Public parking really isn't that much cheaper anyway. The convenience is worth it.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor with a bay view, not sure if it was considered full or partial. It wa...

Mary W:
I am glad that you enjoyed our location; being on the waterfront makes the evenings much quieter than some other areas of the city. In regards to storage, we are regularly updating and will take your feedback into account when considering the room furnishings in the future. I will happily pass along your kind words to the rest of the team and we will all look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We booked 5 nights at the hotel Vitale to finish a one month coast to coast in the USA. This was an excellent idea! Located right on the embarcadero (50 meters from the sea), the hotel is run by friendly and very professional staff. Rooms are large and extremely comfortable.

An obvius plus are the small spa on the last floor and the Americano Bar and Restaurant at the ground floor, very popular and very lively!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

pablo_the_sonar:
It is so fitting that you finished your coast to coast adventure with us here on the waterfront. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Vitale and had the time to receive the full experience by visiting Americano and Spa Vitale. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We lucked in, booking a package vacation that included flights, this hotel and a car. The hallways were like art galleries, the rooms were worthy of display windows, the views like those of travel brochures, the staff dazzling, and all of them seemed to know that I was the most interesting and important person in the whole world. As fine as all of these features were, the top component for us was the location. Short walks in any direction provided endless variety in activities and views. Which was frustrating because our car rental wasn't needed, and although it cost $10/day to rent it. it cost $80/day to park it! As I think about it though, it was worth $80 to call down to 'have my car brought around', even if it was a subcompact.

Room Tip: Browse the website to see room views - we went for the water view, although there was a rooftop pati...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Steve W:
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the boutique aspect of Hotel Vitale. Having a smaller property allows us to provide a more unique experience for our guests. It is marvelous that you took full advantage of our location; there are so many good restaurants and activities nearby, as well as the Embarcadero waterfront. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

I wound up at the Hotel Vitale (or as everyone I told I was staying there referred to it "ohhhh the Vitally!! with a smile LOL) by chance, needing a place on short notice for a work event. I didn't know what to expect and being someone who works in a service industry, I have pretty high standards and have learned not to expect much in this world. I can say the Vitale was a great place to be and exceeded all hopes. The location is great for the financial district, BART line or Embarcadero sightseeing. The view of the Bay Bridge is awesome. From the moment I arrived late at night I felt well taken care of. My bag were quickly grabbed, check-in was a breeze and I was on my way to the room in minutes.

I did notice as I arrived late on a Monday night that there Americano bar/restaurant was a happening place to be. It seemed each time I passed by it there was a hustle and bustle. Happy hour brought lots of locals and tourists alike for drinks.

My room was very solid. I had a view of the Ferry Building and the Bay Bridge on the 2nd floor. Room size was very good for SF, you get more bang for your buck in this area of the city but it felt very ample for a great location. They had free internet in the rooms which worked well even though a little slow but they do give you the option of paying for faster speeds if needed.

The elevator was always fast, no waiting around very long and someone always seemed to be there to hold a door open or take your bags as needed. I'll definitely be back when I'm in the area and be sure to say to people now "oh, you're at the Vitale!!" LOL

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

TravelinHorn:
How flattering that our reputation preceded us—thank you for your kind review and I am pleased to hear that the Hotel Vitale team was able to impress an industry individual with such high standards. Americano is a popular meeting place with the after work crowd, and if you didn’t get a chance to dine with us on this trip, be sure to visit next time to try one of our house-made pasta del giorno. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.