“Get a corner suite”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #51 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Perfect for a weekend getaway. Located conveniently to the business district and embarcadero. A great view of both bridges from the corner suite. Romantic too bad I was there on business. I can't wait to go back!! It was my second visit to the hotel. The first time I attended a party at the penthouse suite. Quite amazing. Way out of my budget though. But the corner suite was perfect for two.

Room Tip: Get a corner suite or the penthouse suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Dan P:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. Hotel Vitale is quite accessible to businesses in the financial district and just a short trip to the Union Square area. There are also a good many walk able leisure activities and sites of interest nearby—not to mention the Ferry Building right across the street. So next time, be sure to visit us for vacation, or just because you need to get away. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

For her birthday getaway this year, my wife wanted a stay in the Vitale with a view of the Bay Bridge and its light show. Using the Signature package (available through travel agents), I found what I hoped was the perfect package: a room with excellent view of the Bay Bridge. This package would include breakfast, a welcome amenity, but not parking. I knew that parking would be $50 a night + 14% tax. I was ready for this. What I wasn't ready for was the surprising upgrade to deluxe suite with six windows giving a view not only of the bridge but of the Ferry Building as well. I should mention that we stayed in a lesser view room in October during the year the hotel first opened. What a thrill for my wife. I can only surmise that the original room was given over to one of the corporate officers/agents that seem to fill the hotel during weekdays.

After unpacking, we decided to have our first night's dinner at the hotel's Americano restaurant, a modern Italian establishment reached after walking through the extensive bar. Since the noise level was quite high, we asked for a table way in the back. Our server Chris could not have been more accommodating and professional (note to manager: keep him!). Excellent pasta selections and fresh fish. But when we ordered three appetizers ($18), we realized that we couldn't order both pasta and fish. The fusilli and penne offerings were very good. The Americano was also to be the venue for breakfast: three vouchers worth $50. Be careful! Tax is added to the total. If the total amount with tax exceeds $50, one must absorb the difference. We left gratuities on each occasion.

We decided to use the huge shower rather than the jacuzzi tub which occupies a primary area next to the bed. Here is the one weakness that should be fixed. The designer installed two glass partitions on both sides of the shower with an equal empty space of the same footage. One enters the shower and is aware of two shower heads, one on both sides. But there is no partition in the middle. Regardless of what we did, how careful we were, the room was soon soaked. Perhaps that is why there were three large bath towels.

Chocolates were left the first night but not the others. When my wife inquired of the night maid, the reply was "No chocolates tonight" or any other night for that matter. (The day maid brough us chocolates.) The valet service and bell service were outstanding. I realize they were probably after gratuities, but never did they give the impression that they were openly soliciting tips. Both check-in and check-out were painless and quick.

When I asked my wife at the end of the stay if she would be willing to return to a lesser room but one with views, she replied, "Well, OK, But this one would spoil me for any other room." Sigh. I must start saving.

Room Tip: Excellent web site shows you exactly what's available.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear M-man11:
I am so pleased to hear that you and your wife enjoyed the Circular Suite surprise. What a great birthday treat! I am also delighted that your Americano dining experience with Cris was exceptional—I will be sure to pass along your compliments to him. I appreciate your insights regarding the shower and will see if we can think of a suitable solution for the water on the floor concern. I am sorry that you only received turn-down chocolates on the first evening. If this ever happens, just check with the front desk and they can sort things out for you—they are just as outstanding as our valet and bell teams. We look forward to seeing you both again soon…perhaps for your birthday next year?

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel and the location was fantastic. Especially enjoyed the Saturday Farmer's market across the street. I walked everywhere from there and cabs in the evening were not a problem. A few more homeless people than I'm accustomed to seeing in a city.

The hotel itself was clean, the bar was definitely a happening place and the staff are very friendly. The rooms are average size and the bathrooms are well appointed but not especially modern. Overall it was a nice stay but I've been to several more luxurious hotels for significantly less. That said, I understand San Francisco to be an expensive city.

The nicest touch, I thought, was this mini card that was left by the bed by housekeeping. The front says 'THANKS' and you open it to reveal an inspirational quote. Sometimes it's the little things ;)

Oh and I did get spoiled with a ritual bath and massage at the spa.... the massage was fabulous and the ritual bath... was a bath... but beautyfully situated outdoors surrounded by bamboo trees. It was peaceful, just what I needed and a new experience... I'd visit the spa again.

They don't have a gym but will provide passes to the YMCA up the street... which was just fine to walk over to and enjoy a sauna/steam.

Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: The views of the Bay and Ferry Building are great! I personally always prefer high floors
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear maze56:

Thanks so much for the great feedback on your stay at Hotel Vitale. The hotel offers a great deal with an incomparable location. There are many luxury options in San Francisco and we are often a great value in comparison. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the visit.

The Ferry Building Farmer’s market is great, you can find something for everyone—we even get fresh local produce there for use in Americano! The Bathing Ritual and Massage combination at Spa Vitale is the perfect way to decompress after a long journey. Also, just so you are aware for your next stay, we do have an in-house gym available for our guests on the second floor as well as the complimentary YMCA guest passes.

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

It's now been the 4th time I've stayed at the Vitale and I will continue to visit this hotel during my stays in the financial district of San Francisco. The rooms are modern with a very clean yet comfortable look and feel to them. If you can grab a room with view of the bay bridge. An unforgettable sight especially now with the playful lights on display. Americano is the bar/restaurant which is not only great for dinner but also draws the stylish crowd from around the offices after work. Hotel staff are polite and professional. Place to stay!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear ambassadorger:
It is especially nice to hear such kind words from a repeat guest. The water view rooms are absolutely my favorites, and The Bay Lights make for an incredible show at night. If you enjoyed Americano in the evening, be sure to try breakfast as well—our house made yogurt and granola is a great way to start your day. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back each time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I found Hotel Vitale after reviewing a bunch of different hotels in SF - including the Embarcadero, Nob Hill, and Union Square. Wanted a central location where all the must-see sites of the city would be easy to walk to, and the hotel definitely didn't disappoint. It's a boutique hotel with a friendly/helpful staff, and great views of the Ferry Building and the Bay Bridge (especially cool to see in the evening). The rooms were roomy and modern - and the front desk was nice enough to upgrade my room to bay view (with an added cost) so that my last two evenings were done in true comfort. I'd definitely recommend staying here in terms of comfort and luxury - and would return when I'm back in town - it comes at a cost. While there's a lot to love about the hotel, I do wish the prices were a little more reasonable.

Room Tip: Try and grab a room with a view of the Bay Bridge
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris C:
It is gratifying to hear that your extensive search led you to Hotel Vitale and that our location did not disappoint! It is convenient for anything from a stroll along the Embarcadero to catching a streetcar down Market Street. A waterfront room is an absolute treat—the Bay Bridge views are unforgettable. We look forward to seeing you again when you’re back in town.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

After being told by Hotel Vitale reservations that a room I had booked on Jettsetter was set aside and prepaid, upon arrival they told me they were oversold and tried to move me to a hotel a mile away on union square. I was in town on business with Google several blocks away and did not want to move.

I had also confirmed the reservation earlier this week and there was no mention of the problem.

They say they are refunding the prepayment and paid for a move to another hotel... But the whole experience left me doubting this hotel and the JDV chain. My other stays at JDV hotels have been great.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank bullyboy1
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

bullyboy1:
On behalf of myself and the Hotel Vitale team, I sincerely apologize for our inability to accommodate your stay with us. This was an unusual situation, and we very much appreciate your understanding. I would be pleased to assist with booking a future stay at Hotel Vitale, and hope that you will reach out to me when your travel plans bring you back to San Francisco. We hope that you enjoyed your visit to our City by the Bay and will be able to stay with us or other JdV Hotels in the near future.

My apologies,

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Our family really likes this hotel. It's a great location, directly across from the Ferry Market Place and so convenient to everything in town. We have extended family in Berkeley, so this is a great location for us to stay when visiting because of the proximity to the Bay Bridge. We had 2 excellent rooms, one on the 7th floor, overlooking the Bay Bridge, and another on the 11th Floor overlooking the Bay Bridge as well. Both rooms were very comfortable, beds were well appointed and bathrooms were very clean and well designed. The hotel staff is extremely personable and helpful. They really go out of their way to be responsive to their customer's needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a King Room with view to the Bay Bridge
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank caro55
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

caro55:
I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. The Ferry Building and Farmer’s Market are both a foodie’s dream—we actually shop for a great deal of Americano’s produce there. Berkeley is quite easy to get to with car, and if you prefer not to drive, the BART will also get you across the bay quickly via Embarcadero Station two blocks away. We hope to see you again for your next family gathering.