“Not Optimal for Business Travelers”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #31 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Not Optimal for Business Travelers”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

As a frequent business traveler to SF, I typically stay at the 4 Seasons or the Ritz. This past week I decided to try the Hotel Vitale. Room rate was $650 - comparable to my usual haunts but service was lacking and it is noisy with the bustling restaurant, outside music and street noise.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank endlesswinter
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear endlesswinter,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit with us. On behalf of the entire team, allow me to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay at our hotel. I can assure you that we take your feedback very seriously and will do whatever it takes to address your concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay in more details and hopefully I will be able to arrange a more quiet room for your next visit with us so you will no longer be inconvenienced by the noise emanating from our restaurant and bar. I look forward to speak with you and welcome you back to the Hotel Vitale. My direct line is 415-278-3710.

Antoine Berberi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I needed to stay overnight in SF with our 7-month-old baby. As others have noted, the hotel itself is very well located, and quite lovely, but the real star at this hotel was the service. I travel frequently for work, and this hotel had simply the most helpful and agreeable staff I've encountered in a long time. We were even gifted a bottle of wine which is most welcome for tired parents. My only caveats are that room service was quite expensive (even for room service) and so was the valet parking. However the Ferry Building is right nearby, so that solved the food question. There are a few less expensive places nearby to park your car, however.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear MarinaSF,
I am glad that you enjoyed your family “staycation” and thank you so much for recognizing our star team. I truly believe that they make the hotel both a wonderful place for our guests to visit as well as a great place to work. We hope to have you and your husband stay with us again next time you need a getaway. Or if you don’t have the time to stay overnight, just visit us at Spa Vitale for a side-by-side massage—it ranks up there with a nice bottle of wine for tired parents!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed in the 6th floor suite with the breathtaking 180 degree panoramic view of the bridge and the city. Oh my! It was just stunning. The room was beautiful and the concierge made sure that we were greeted with a lovely welcoming platter of breads, fruits, cheeses, and wine! How thoughtful! He also went out of his way to provide maps and information. Kudos!

On the downside, the mattress was far softer than what we had expected and rather uncomfortable, but perhaps that's just a subjective thing. What surprised me was that the wi-fi was very spotty from our location. For upwards of $1,000 a night I did not expect this. To the property's credit, they did have an engineer reset the router, but it didn't help much. I'm not sure why. Still a small price to pay for a room with such an amazing view.

Overall it was still a first rate property, beautiful and clean with every amenity you could want. Our sincerest thanks to the Hotel Vitale for making our stay first rate.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear doxygirl123,
I am so pleased that your stay with us was first rate. The circular suites are a guest favorite—because anyone who has experienced the soaking tub with views of the bay would agree with you. I will be sure to mention you kind words to our concierge team—they certainly are the best at surprising and delighting our guests! Alternatively, I am sorry to hear that the mattress was not to your liking and the Wi-Fi was not up to speed—we did just recently upgraded our wireless system, so I will have the team look into it. Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to welcome you back next time you are visiting San Francisco.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Nothing to say about my stay. Very nice/very clean/ nice room/ service from front desk to the bar service was the best I have ever experienced. Everyone who works there goes out of their way to make your stay there special.
Location to die for....IMHO.
Reason for 4?
At $450(with tax included) per night I expect to be given the world. Maybe that's an OK rate in SF but seemed really expensive to me. I would say this is a 4 star hotel but for the money I want 5.
If the price does not knock your sox off then stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: They add dollars for what they call a water view.I did not pay for an upgrade. I stayed in an 18...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear john b,
I am happy to hear that your stay with us set a new record, and it made my day to know that it was the Vitale team that really made the difference. I must say I agree with your opinion—our location has fantastic views and is very convenient for everything from public transportation to restaurants and shopping. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again next time you are in the Bay Area.

St. John's, Antigua
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Nice hotel and great location but, incredibly the hotel wifi network blocks VPN use and so makes it impossible to use corporate email. For someone traveling from Europe, who is awake early this is a huge problem. The network support team, in spite of being responsive, have failed to resolve the issue although I reported the problem four days ago and I have called them daily. I have not seen this issue at a western world hotel in ten years !

The hotel duty manager this morning also had no visibility of the issue, nor means to solve it.

Although I visit San Francisco monthly, I will not be returning.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank HusbandofJamarqui
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear HusbandofJamarqui,
My sincerest apologies for your troubles with the internet. Our set up does allow VPNs, but varied computer settings and firewalls can occasionally complicate things. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to invite you back and regain your trust. We pride ourselves on our relationship with our internet vendor, Eleven Wireless and if possible—we would like to connect Eleven Wireless directly with your IT department so that any further VPN complications can be resolved before you stay with us again. Again, I am sorry you were unable to access your corporate email and I do hope you will give us another opportunity to work with you on this issue—please contact me directly to arrange.

Fremantle, WA
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Well if you want a location that ticks all the boxes in a hotel that ticks most of the boxes this is the one. Close to everything with and unmatchable view. We spent both nights sitting in the Bath watching the light show on the Bay bridge. Admittedly the initial mix up with our booking and what constituted a bay view (second floor partial didn't fit the booking description), the upgrade to a 6th floor suite in the rotunda section was worth the additional $200.00 per night (discounted rate). Valet parking was really the only option (but did add to the experience) making it an easier hand over and forget exercise. Breakfast was excellent though not the best environment with plenty of business types talking loudly too each other. We opted out the first morning with an abundance of breakfast ( or other meal) options within walking distance.

Room Tip: Request any room with a view to be 3rd floor or above.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear niftwa:
I am so glad that Hotel Vitale fits nearly all the descriptors of your ideal hotel. Bay Lights just celebrated its one-year anniversary and I believe that staying in a Panoramic Circular Suite is the perfect room with a view! Breakfast time in Americano can get quite busy on occasion; if you are interested in a truly special private dining experience you can always order room service from Americano. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and please let us know what we can do to check those missing boxes on your next stay!

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel was so much better that the usual big chain hotels. Being centrally located, comfortable and meticulously cared for made it a pleasure to stay at. From the lavender infused hot towels at check-in, to the in-room Bose Wave sound system, this hotel was delightful.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Gary K:
We do pride ourselves on the boutique nature of Hotel Vitale, it allows us to create a more personalized experience for our guests. Thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back with warm lavender towels upon your next stay.