“great hotel, great location”

Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #49 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We just got home from a very short stay. One night at the hotel. We decided to visit San Francisco for my 50th birthday. Neither my husband nor myself had ever been. We asked some friends that had lived there for a hotel recommendation. They suggested this one because of the location and company. We were definitely not disappointed. We did not dine in the restaurant because of the menu choices (nothing appealed to us--although I am sure it was good). Our only complaint was the lack of coffee/tea in the room (not even in the lobby). It was no problem to go to the Ferry Building, however I enjoy coffee in the morning while I get ready. The hotel was clean and staff was very friendly. Convenient to all forms of transportation.

Room Tip: if you are not planning on spending much time in your room, the inside rooms are quiet, less expensi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen B
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Karen B,
Happy Belated Birthday and thank you for sharing it with us! Americano does base their menu on fresh, seasonal ingredients, so if you were not interested in the spring menu items, be sure to check back next time you stay with us. We do have coffee and tea available in the lobby every morning, just ask our front desk team and they will point you in the right direction. Our terraces are the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and bay views without leaving the city. We hope to see you again for your birthday next year!

Antoine Berberi

Write a ReviewReviews (1,795)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We turned up at the hotel totally exhausted and bedraggled from our trip up from Los Angeles. We were greeted with nothing but friendliness and courtesy by the staff. Checking in was extremely easy. The room was clean and comfortable. We ordered room service for dinner because we were so tired, and it was very quick. Our room was only on the second floor, so not much of a view, but who spends all day in their hotel on vacation? The location is great, right on the Embarcadero. My husband and I stayed with our kids, age 12 and 14. It was awesome for them, and I imagine it would be with younger kids as well. Definitely recommend!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tami R

Dear Tami R,
I am gratified to hear that the Vitale team was able to make your stay comfortable from welcome to ensuring everyone is happy and fed. I hope your family had a chance to visit the new Exploratorium that is just a short walk down the Embarcadero—it has so much to investigate and could keep your kids (and you!) entertained all day. In any case, I hope to see you all again soon!

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 days on business and found the service to be impeccable-especially the concierge- great restaurant recommendations and each concierge went above and beyond this diva's social needs- I didn't have the greatest of views and have to say- the bathroom was a little unremarkable- I'm used to walk in showers or at the very least- rounded shower curtains that don't molest you when you are taking a shower-(see pictures of bathroom). Liked this hotel and I'll be selecting it for #Dreamforce in November. Did not like the hotel restaurant -Americano- very understaffed during happy hour when the weather was nice but it the waitress was wonderful and very accommodating- it was just unfortunate that they didn't have more staff available when they were mobbed at the outside bar. The food was meh- however. Booze was a-ok!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pickytraveler20

Dear LHO2024,
Our Concierge Department is always striving to create a meaningful stay for our guests. In fact, they were quoted in Conde Nast Traveler as “the most intuitive and thoughtful concierges in the United States”. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our restaurant was not on par with the concierge department. We will work on improving before you return in November for Dreamforce—we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My office is in the financial district and this lovely boutique hotel is within walking distance. Even better it is across the street from the Ferry building and very near AT&T Park. Don't miss the chance to take in the view from the hotel's rooftop deck. The rooms are large and well appointed but it is definitely worth the extra bucks to get a room with a water view. The hotel staff, especially the concierge team, was friendly and really helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a water, bridge view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear CapCityTravelers,
Being able to walk to work is so nice, especially with the recent warm weather. Also, if you are not familiar with the area, walking is so much easier than having to rent a car or figure out public transportation. Since you enjoyed our rooftop terraces, be sure to visit Spa Vitale for a Bathing Ritual next time. The individual deep soaking tubs on our private spa terrace are a soothing urban oasis! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Great location right on the waterfront, with the market, great shops and restaurants all in walking distance. I had a bay/waterfront view, and I highly recommend requesting it. I had a lovely nook right by the window and was entranced by the sunset and lights on the bay bridge, a perfect San Francisco experience. The bed was very comfortable with an abundance of pillows. The room and bathroom was spacious, I had a huge shower, with remarkably refreshing products provided. There was a very well stocked minibar with lots of snack options, typically expensively priced though. Wifi was free and generally reliable. Service on the whole was good but it was a bit hard to track down the concierge. The biggest disappointment was the food at the terrace restaurant, it was pretty mediocre. But it was a great location right on the front with comfortable seating.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Chris C,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room, the window seats are lovely for reading or simply enjoying the view. If the concierge is unavailable, our front desk team is always around to help with a few neighborhood suggestions. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy the restaurant cuisine. Our menu is continuously improved with seasonal ingredients, so I welcome you to give it another try on your next stay with us.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Despite a fantastic location, and stunning view on Embarcadero and the Bridge, as well as beautifully designed hotel, the hotel lacks of soul and "customer care", as in "we are happy to have you here, what can we do to make your stay unforgettable" ...considering the price tag.

Service, mostly in the F&B section, wasn't up to par, I invite you guys to step up and show how much you enjoy doing what you're doing for a living.

Room Tip: choose the waterfront, money well invested.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Laurent776

Dear Laurent776,
Please know that we do aim to create a unique boutique experience for our guests and I am disappointed to hear that your time with us did not reflect that. I do hope that you will give us another chance to impress you, on your next trip to San Francisco, please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist with you reservation.

My apologies,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

he best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right across the Ferry Bldg and our view was the Bay... beautiful! So ask for the Bay View when booking.
The rooms are small but well designed that it does not feel cramped. They are clean and modern. Then the bathroom amenities are "Fresh" --- love it!
Service staff are friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for the Bay view for a good view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear MJB1104,
Thank you for you review, it is uplifting to know that your stay was altogether wonderful. The views of the bay and bridge are some of my favorite things about our location—especially with The Bay Lights at night. They are quite a show! We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to San Francisco.